Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

15k service + engine knocking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM
splatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15k service + engine knocking at idle

Took my car in for the 15K service ($440) and also was hoping to get the VVEL knocking noise resolved with the ECU reprogram (TSB ITB08-028a).
They were quite familiar with the TSB and so I was hopeful that the knocking would be resolved. The TSB also specifies an oil/filter change with the ester oil. I asked that they do the ECU reprogram only since they noted that once you start using ester that Infiniti recommends that you not go back to 'normal' oil. Some members have posted that the ECU reprogram alone resolved the knocking issue and I was hoping to avoid future $100 oil changes (does anyone else see a class action suit coming?).
Picked up my car yesterday and they said that I already had the latest ECU (bought my car in March). They did some sort of flush and the knocking resolved so they did the 'normal' oil change.
Since the knocking always goes away after an oil change and comes back after 1000 miles or so, I'm fairly certain I haven't seen the last of this problem.
Does anyone have the info to correlate VIN or build date to ECU version? I'd be very interested to know if they screwed up when trying to determine my ECU version.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine last November and can find the ECU code for you if you want but I think you'd want something more newer.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Roseyhebert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG!! There is a knock problem? I will be pissed if I get that. My car was built end of Jan so hopefully they fixed the issue a that point.