Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front license plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
omfG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhhG37
I bit the bullet and put on the overpriced stillen mount. Its off center which I think makes it look kind of cool. and if I want I can easily take it off. not worth $70 but cheaper than a fixit ticket!
I didn't know it was off center. I see you have sport so you have what I refer to as the big mouth bumper aka sport bumper. Mine is not sport so I got the "glasses" bumper . Will it be off center on mine as well? Got any pics?

TY TY
Old 10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It's illegal here in Guam as well. I told my dealer not to drill holes on my bumper so I've never placed any plates up front. I've been pulled over twice for it and just got warnings. It also helps that I work at the only government run hospital on the island.
I've seen some zip tying their plates to the lower grill part of their bumper. I guess thats the only other option.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM
omfG37

Ahhh that's cool. I've never gotten off with a warning anytime I've been pulled over. I'm thinking of just buying the Stillen mount but I'm looking for some pictures of it on the non-sport front fascia.

BTW i love how u put the air freshener you use in your signature! I'm a squash guy myself.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been pulled over in my Accord twice for not having a front plate. Not yet in the G37...*knock on wood*...
Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 AM
dhhG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Stillen mounts in to your tow hook 'hole' - that's why its off center.

here's some pics

First one is showing location, second one from the top so you can see how it doesn't touch the bumper at all
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate questions-stillen_1.jpg   Front license plate questions-stillen_2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 AM
sahiwal007

i want that infiniti plate!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 PM
LAG37

connect two zip ties to the mesh on the bottom of ur bumper
Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G37 liquid platinum CA front license plate bolted on

Did the dirty deed on 5AT liquid platinum color...used some scotch tape to hold in place tight back to curve of bumper, (top of license at line perceived between top of lower vent areas, yet 3/8" above bottom of bumper chin), penciled thru license plate top two holes, used sharp nail to dig center of penciled circles for starter indentation, 7/64 drill, 7/32 drill, 1/4" large head bolts x 1/2" long screwed thru, dropped plastic cover under radiator area, about 10 bolts holding that up, put washer and nut behind bumper, tightened up firm to bend plate to curve of lower chin / nose area. Dealer wanted to mount above the vent area, tilted up on nose with provided black plastic bracket behind...also that bracket is too long for plate. My mounting is secure, but could add two lower bolts if needed, if rattling occurs. Considered buying some new exterior grade double stick for center of plate at two points, top and bottom, but that seemed inadequate. There are some very strong double stick adhesives out there which would probably hold the curve of the bumper as well as the bolts I used, but the bolts leave little gap behind the plate. Infiniti should have put a flat plate indent in this area of the plastic below the nose tip. Or automobile manufacturers should petition for removal of the front license law...maybe i should have one on the front of my motorcycle? I think the intersection red light violators could still be caught from behind with a rear license shot at those locations. Such a waste having CHP chase speeders, when cameras would be enough. License plates could be replaced with radio frequency ID tags or invisible bar codes? I see stones have already taken a couple of paint ticks out of the bumper...what is the touch up paint routine to use? My chin has dipped too low a couple of times, but the black ABS under the "platinum" does not look that bad once the shredded plastic is removed. I will search the forums to see answers have already been posted.
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate questions-ha059192-copy-g37-paint-out-license-oly-mas-low-100pix-email-size.jpg   Front license plate questions-ha059193-paint-out-license-lower-view-email.jpg  

Last edited by ifinity; 10-05-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm suprised Finangle69 hasnt posted yet. But there is a thing called the Show-n-go plate mount which I have and it works great for stowing it under the car...

You mount 3 screws under the bumper and have 0 holes show through the front. If pulled over when it is down, you can tell the officer that you were at a meet or soemthing and go flip it back up...

see here... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Altec...mZ220279637967

For $50, i think this is your best option!

Last edited by Wezbian; 10-05-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM
kmp

Here's what I'm considering, it's not exatly cheap but I love the idea of the remote. http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...3b4cad58b6aed3
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM
omfG37

Originally Posted by kmp
Here's what I'm considering, it's not exatly cheap but I love the idea of the remote. http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...3b4cad58b6aed3
WOW. That is freaking cool. Nice find.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
samskillz

Has anyone here installed the swiftmotorsports?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:41 PM
nhautman

Really interested in the Stillen mount but the two pictures posted here aren't doing ir for me. Anyone have any better pics? Search got me nothing.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
jjgarrot

Originally Posted by Chekov
omfG37,
If you can show us how you lower your rear side and back windows in your G37 then pass it on to all those 99% on this forum (that I don’t believe is the case) you say have illegal tints. In other words, you may want to consider a lighter tint, even a -gasp- legal one. I know, you think the cops don’t care. I could give you the safety argument for the back window, but I bet you don’t care about that either. You’ll not be happy when the first indication of hitting something while backing up at night is a crunching sound.

As far as crooks not having their plates on, if all the rest of us did, and I know we’re not there yet, then we could spot them for simply that reason alone. I did see an episode on cops recently where some liquor store thieves pulled up after hours with a front plate and the store’s surveillance camera caught it and they were nabbed soon after.
Re: Chekov

In California, it isn't illegal to tint the rear passenger or back window, only the front windows or windshield.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jjgarrot
Re: Chekov

In California, it isn't illegal to tint the rear passenger or back window, only the front windows or windshield.
Yes, I know that, as mentioned in my post #10. The point I was trying to make is that 15% on the rear window IMHO is a safety compromise, and those windows do not roll down. Furthermore, some states do have restrictions on back and rear window tints for 15% or darker, and I don’t believe that 99% of forum members have such illegal tints as claimed by the OP.

Quick Reply: Front license plate questions