Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL

I went to go pick up my BO G37 6MT today... everything was alright until I was about to drive it off the lot then stalled a couple of times . For some reason I can't get the hang of the clutch release point. I don't own a stick nor does anyone in my family but I practiced before with one of my friends 5spd chevy truck for hours and only stalled once on a hill. I have realized it is way different compared to a car. After about 10 minutes I finally drove off the lot then got to a stop light... then when the light turned green I attempted to accelerate and stalled again and again... I was pretty nervous holding up traffic...lol then I finally called the service guy at the dealership down the road to drive the car back to the lot because I couldn't drive this thing, so I left the car at the dealership overnight and I talked to one of the sales guy who's real cool and he offered to give me some lessons over the week in a parking lot across the street from them and told me its easy but I just got to get used to the clutch more. I think I should get the hang of it within a couple of hours... anyone got any tips?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Keng

Tip other than practice more? Not really
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM
willizm

I learned how to drive stick when I bought my g37 at the dealer. The dealer gave me some quick lessons. I'll tell you some tips from someone that has been there.

1. don't get worked up when you stall in traffic.
2. It takes time. Took me about 2 weeks of constant driving until I was comfortable. It's like a leveling up process.
3. Throw it in neutral when you are at stop lights, don't hold the clutch down during stop lights.
4. Watch some youtube videos. Search "driving stick" to see some lessons. Though take them with a grain of salt as they probably aren't the "best" manual drivers.
5. It is hard to make the 1st to 2nd shift smooth when you are new at driving stick. Don't freak out if you notice that shift is jerky. You will get used to it.
6. If you smell something when you park the car, keep in mind it can be two things. Your clutch and the break in that all new cars go through. Hard to tell which smell is which though.
7. Have a buddy that knows how to drive stick drive you around in your new car. This way you can QandA them and get an idea how the car feels when driven by someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
vINCe_Inc

congrats. i still stall sometimes, carelessly though, ie. releasing the clutch before turning off the engine when im parked. LOL
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
it just takes practice, you'll get it though after a while don't you worry
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
SFG37S

GIVE IT A WEE BIT OF THROTTLE AND EASE OUT THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY! ADD A LITTLE MORE THROTTLE AS YOU EASE THE PEDAL OUT AT THE SAME TIME. THE TRICK IS TO BE SMOOTH WITH BOTH PEDALS.

REPEAT,REPEAT,AND REPEAT SOME MORE! Don't over do it. Take it nice and easy. If you detect a strong smell of some'thin burning you are slipping the clutch too much! If this happens, Stop like right now and let the clutch cool down! You do not want to burn out the clutch! I would imagine the bill for a new one would cause one to "Blurp" their shorts!.................Good Luck!

Last edited by SFG37S; 09-02-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Fat finger!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
tenfour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
practice practice practice. i've been driving stick ever since i got my license and i've died out when i first drove the g37. you just have to get used to learning the clutch.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
yup like everyone else has said... its all about practice
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
jinu123nyc

gas all the way and release that sucker!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new here, looking to get a G as well.
I've driven plenty of manual cars and the G can be tricky but its a lot of fun when you get used to it. My recommendation for a 'new' stick driver is to cheat a bit by just revving up to a constant 2k rpm then slowly let the clutch out, then just make sure your RPMS don't drop too much by giving it gas accordingly and you should be off. As you practice it'll get easier to do it all in one motion. Starting from a dead stop is the hardest part probably. Go to a parking lot and just start/stop a bunch of times until you are comfortable.

Congrats on the new car!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You shoulda seen my salesman's face when I told him this was my first manual. I didn't tell him till I picked up my car. He just about **** himself. I've driven a few of my friends cars though. Stalled out a few times on the way back home, but it seems like you had more trouble than I did. You'll get the hang of it...just takes time.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that clutch releasing point on the newer Gs are pretty high compared to other cars. Just try to slowly release the clutch while giving just a bit of gas. It really shouldn't take you more than 15~20 minutes to get a hang of it.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It's like beating a dead horse but yeah, Practice.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM
cskubis

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe its just me, but buying a 40K 330HP vehicle that is one's 1st stick-shift experience just doesn't seem like a good idea. I just cringe at thinking about stall-outs and burnt clutches that accompany the 'learning process'.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JLai
You shoulda seen my salesman's face when I told him this was my first manual. I didn't tell him till I picked up my car. He just about **** himself. I've driven a few of my friends cars though. Stalled out a few times on the way back home, but it seems like you had more trouble than I did. You'll get the hang of it...just takes time.
Haha.

I'd play around with the clutch to learn where the release point is. Once you're comfortable releasing the clutch up to that engagement point, adding gas will come as second nature since you already know how to do that.

Quick Reply: stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL