Sponsored By:

stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
how bad does stalling affect car?
Its not great for the car, but its also not bad. It is nothing compared to dumping the clutch to launch.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
ChOy BoY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wat part of ny are you from
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

I from the bronx but i live in upstate ny now, i go down to the bronx every month
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry about it. I've driven manual tranny's for over 10 years and I managed to stall the G within sight of the dealership when I took delivery. The clutch is touchy on this car and just requires a little time and practice...
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Turbomatic240sx

Don't know about the G specifically but my Evo VIII had a high engagement and touchy clutch too. The main mistake of new manual drivers is that when they hit the point in the travel where the clutch finally engages and the rpms drop they freak out and either 1. let the clutch out too fast rest of the way without giving gas, (stall) or 2. give a lot of gas and don't release the clutch rest of the way out. (burn the clutch)

With a touchy clutch like I had on the Evo most stalls came from letting the clutch out too fast and not giving enough gas during that time. While in theory holding 2k rpm is easy, when you are first driving stick the needle seems to have a mind of its own. Try letting the clutch out much slower than what you think is right, even if you felt the car already start to move don't just let the clutch out rest of the way really fast. Don't give too much gas but you should not stall when taking you time with the clutch and at least give some gas. Do remember to take your foot off of the clutch once you are moving though or you will burn it up. As you get more practice you can let it out faster and faster without stalling.

Remember high torque vehicles like a truck can basically move from idle if you just let the clutch out, but not likely to work with a car with lower low end torque. I was able to idle the Evo along in heavy traffic without touching the gas by very slowly releasing the clutch though.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

I called the dealership today to talk to the cool sales guy that's wicked chill and WANTED to teach me stick... I called and asked for him.. they said he no longer works there.. he was fired.. I don't know why they wouldn't say... but then I asked if I can come in to get lessons from someone else but they said there too busy right now and that they will call me back tomorrow. Then I was like **** this ****... called them back 5 mins later told them im coming to pick up my car... me and my friend went (since he's pro at stick). Then we got there went inside... wasn't busy at all. So then I just asked for the keys and my friend drove it to a church across the street from his house, which is a sick parking lot to learn from. Then I practiced for about an hour then it was a piece of cake. I found the engagement point easily and stalled a couple times in the first 10 mins.. then after that it was like nothing to me. Next lessons, practice some more, then more, then HILLS!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
teedough

i stalled when i first got it too, but only once
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Chosen37

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I Stalled the damn thing the first time I drove it. Still do here and there out of carelessness. But after i a little while it should be second nature and you'll even forget you'r driving a stick sometimes.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
js3350z

the biggest thing that helped me to become smooth with it is to leave your heel on the floor It helped me ALOT then to make the downshifts smooth just touch the gas pedal for a split second to get the rpm up a tiny bit... I know it is a give in but I wasn't doing either of those things the first couple days and it would have been a lot easier to learn if I knew those couple things to begin with
Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha. sucks to be you in traffic with people all around you. luckily my dad did know how to drive it or else i would have to drive it 800 miles home.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
haha. sucks to be you in traffic with people all around you. luckily my dad did know how to drive it or else i would have to drive it 800 miles home.
Damn 800 miles... That sucks. Thank god I only live 15 mins away from the dealership