Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Funny becuz when I went out one night, I was a lil too intoximacated to drive so I gave the girlfriend the ok to drive the car for the first time... She did friggen great! LOL! Totally unexpected! Thought we were gonna be stallin left and right but she did great...
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cskubis
Maybe its just me, but buying a 40K 330HP vehicle that is one's 1st stick-shift experience just doesn't seem like a good idea. I just cringe at thinking about stall-outs and burnt clutches that accompany the 'learning process'.
Do you own a G coupe?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Doug R

i
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
I noticed that clutch releasing point on the newer Gs are pretty high compared to other cars. Just try to slowly release the clutch while giving just a bit of gas. It really shouldn't take you more than 15~20 minutes to get a hang of it.

Good luck!
I agree,this is very uncomfortable.Way to high of a release point.I don't like having to lift my leg off the clutch like a Mack truck.I like leaving my heel on the floor when easing out the clutch.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Doug R
i

I agree,this is very uncomfortable.Way to high of a release point.I don't like having to lift my leg off the clutch like a Mack truck.I like leaving my heel on the floor when easing out the clutch.
I think that is why I am having trouble starting off... it felt harder for me to get the release point, I thought all cars had a high release point like the g37 because I learned from a 5spd truck and I didn't have no problems what so ever finding the release point because the release point was lower. I wonder if it is possible to make the release point lower..... I know nothing about transmissions.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Doug R

Good question.If it is adjustable,I would get it lowered.I've only owned the car two days,so I'm not the one to know. When I picked up the car I thought WT..... is with this clutch.No problem stalling,I've been driving a long time.(I'm old) Just not what I'm used to.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by Doug R
i

You may be used to driving Hondas? a buddy of mine let me test out his Si a while back, and i was thrown off by the way this thing felt. It was so easy compared to my 37.

I stalled my car a few times since i bought it, and its not like i'm a beginner at driving a manual. Don't worry when you stall. Stressing out is the WORST thing you can do at a stop light, it will just make things worse!

goodluck you'll do fine.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
SirFer

I learned to drive stick on a Mini Cooper S for the past few years until I got my G in July. That Mini is probably one of the easiest cars to learn on, I was at the point where people wouldn't feel me shift at all, they would have to be watching to know I did. Then I drove the G off the lot and was lurching forward and stopping and probably looked like a total kook. My poor salesman probably thought he just sent a nice brand new G to a certain stalled out death a mile down the road. Luckily though I just spent a longg time driving around that first week or so. Like everyone said, the G does have a very high engagement point, it's not forgiving at all. I tend to keep it right around 1,500RPM and then let the clutch out really slowly. It's the only way I've been able to get off the line without lurching and stalling at all. It's borderline riding the clutch, so it's a very fine line to toe but with a few lessons and plenty of practice you should be fine. And once you drive a 6MT I don't think any other manual will ever be a problem to drive.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Pennsylvania-G

When I first learned to drive a stick in my brother's '72 Capri, my dad had me drive barefoot! It was a lot easier to feel the engagement point that way. I think I had it down in 10 minutes.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked my car up and learned how to drive stick in rush hour traffic, it was horriable, but I learned faster that way.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by TomG37
I picked my car up and learned how to drive stick in rush hour traffic, it was horriable, but I learned faster that way.
did you stalled and held up traffic like me? oh yea I forgot to add.... a cop came behind me while I stalled out at the stop light with his lights on... yep... he thought my car was broken down, after seeing those lights I was about to **** my pants. it sucked. If only every dealership had their own driving course where customers can go test drive and practice driving their cars, then I would be a pro at this already. im going back to the dealership tomorrow (where my car still is) to get some more lessons from the sales guy hopefully I will be able to drive it home after tomorrow. My biggest concern is dead stops on hills.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 PM
kg37

Reminds me of when I first started driving stick.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
cskubis

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
Do you own a G coupe?
Yes. I remember learning to drive a stick on a "beater" car a long time ago. I would hate to put my G37 through that ... especially since it is difficult to drive smooth.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

I drove my 6MT right off the lot having only practiced in my friends RSX in a parking lot for less than an hour. I made the 15 minute drive home, having stalled twice. Like everyone said, the only way you can get the hang of it is practice. It takes a few weeks to be comfortable and not be nervous driving around. I was frustrated and defeated during the first few days, but once you get a hang of it, you'll love it.

Just try and get used to where the engagement point is and always ease off the clutch, once you feel the car catch the gear, then release it all the way. I like to keep my heel to the floor when using the clutch, it gives me more control.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

how bad does stalling affect car?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
did you stalled and held up traffic like me? oh yea I forgot to add.... a cop came behind me while I stalled out at the stop light with his lights on... yep... he thought my car was broken down, after seeing those lights I was about to **** my pants. it sucked. If only every dealership had their own driving course where customers can go test drive and practice driving their cars, then I would be a pro at this already. im going back to the dealership tomorrow (where my car still is) to get some more lessons from the sales guy hopefully I will be able to drive it home after tomorrow. My biggest concern is dead stops on hills.
Yea, I stalled a bunch of times in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Long Island Expressway, and I had about a 45 min drive home from the dealer.

Quick Reply: stalled out when I went to pick up my G37!! LOL