Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TOP G37 Negatives

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Infinite G37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NicksIvoryG37s
2.Getting 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk is a challenge all in itself. Plus you have to take the driver out to make even 1 bag fit.
3.Trunk depth is pathetic, forget putting boxes in here.
4.BLIND SPOT to my left is crazy, starting to develop neck issues due to over extending my neck every time im trying to change lanes.

This is my last Infiniti. Im going back to Audi.
Amen on the clubs, the new ping driver's do not fit! My carry on bag does not fit to the back of the trunk if I'm packed down for a 4 day trip If I have a second carry on, it goes in the back seat.

Blind spot can be taken out with property mirror adjustment, it just takes some time getting used to it.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by Infinite G37S
Amen on the clubs, the new ping driver's do not fit! My carry on bag does not fit to the back of the trunk if I'm packed down for a 4 day trip If I have a second carry on, it goes in the back seat.

Blind spot can be taken out with property mirror adjustment, it just takes some time getting used to it.
I agree that the trunk space is horrible, one large item in the center and that's it, the left over space on each side doesn't fit much of anything after. I haven't had any issues with the blind spot, though I'm sure it is there, I'm used to using my mirrors and turning around whenever I change lanes.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

There are going to be negatives with every car but keep in mind this car is a Luxury GT - not a family sedan or minivan or SUV. If you wanted more trunk space you should get the "M35/45".

The styling on the G37, sound of the G37, features of the G37, reliability of Infiniti, and overall value (bang for buck) and even re-sale are far superior to any other.

No wonder they call it the "G" (...spot); it stimulates high level of arrousal when viewing it or driving it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My gripes, in no order:

1. The interior door handles have some scratches even though I baby my G. I plan on swapping to Washi when available in 09.

2. For 6MT, The clutch is a tad heavy, touchy, abrupt and not very forgiving - still I am HAPPY to have 6mt, but sometimes I feel like I'm driving a diesel truck when I have to clutch in and out with so much effort. I am getting used to it but when I lazy shift I tend to shift not so smoothly and sometimes gear grind from applying Honda-rated pressure to the clutch. lol. My left calf is beginning to look bigger than the right, haha jk! On the brightside there wont be many manuals that give me trouble after mastering this one.

3. Soft Paint - swirls, scratches and chips easier than our 2000 Lexus GS400. Lexus has solid paint! This is 2008, Infiniti needs to step it up with the Paint Quality.

4. Front seat thigh/back/head space are a bit cramped for Big & Tall folks like me, specs should have been changed for US-production cars since we are bigger than Japanese

5. Back seats are a joke. Back seat passenger must be under 150 lbs and preferrably under 5'8" and even then will only be bearable for under 1 hour trips.

6. Trunk space is pitiful, my cousin's s2k trunk, though oddly shaped - is deeper. I had to engage in some basic engineering to fit all my stuff and my gf's stuff for our West Michigan trip. And we had to pack light in a backpack and duffle bag just to make it work in the G. On top of it I took the spare out for the trip to put more stuff in the spare's hollow which we needed to fit everything, lol. I took a can of fix-a-flat and said a prayer. Luckily I didn't get a flat.

7. For 6MT, when idling transmission makes some whirring noise on the 6mt's when clutch is NOT pushed in. Allegedly nature of the beast, I'm used to it. I just take it as a sign of raw power breating at resting idle, lol.

8. Seat belt fixture should be height adjustable, and honestly do they hafta have that little arm contraption? It looks like it wouldn't hold my fatass down in a crash - like I could just break the arm off myself. It's a little annoying to twist and turn that arm for back seat access as well cause then they get involved playing with it too.

9. Amenities/storage are all small - front cupholders fit Red Bull cans, center armrest on 6mt fits iPod and cable and phone charger. That's it. It's full. Door compartments are a joke, ackward to even try to put a drink in them. Glove compartment has envelopes, paperwork, some cds. 80% full already.

10. Love the 19-inch Sport Wheels, but they curb too easily - I haven't curbed em' yeat but lemme tell ya I have to pay so much attention to make sure they don't. On our Lexus GS400 I can purposely let the tire rub on the curb safely just to make sure I'm near the curb, now with the G I hafta park 1 foot away from curbs to be safe.

11. Overall interior quality is a little Nissfiniti. Materials, build, look and feel are all sandwiched between what I would imagine Nissan and Infiniti is. Not quite up to the solid craftmanship and par materials/feel of MB, BMW, or especially Lexus/Acura. However the interior does look more exciting/tech trendy and up to date than Bimmer, I'm happy.

That's about all I can think of, overall the pros of this car for the price still make it my car of choice for 40k. With a 60k budget I would have stepped up to the next level of course, but in all honesty most 60k Lux Sport Coupes do not give you 20k above and beyond what the G has to offer...Sooo. Yep.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
icel0rd

1. Access to door storage is difficult while seated.
I never noticed. I guess I don't fumble with stuff in storage while I'm driving.

2. 08 Paint scratches easily
My car doesn't have a bunch of scratches that I've noticed. I'm going to look closer now that you mention it.

3. Stock Mufflers may rattle
Mine didn't, but I bought a Tanabe Medallion and took off the stock one.

4. 08 Door handles scratched easily
Mine didn't. I guess only my hand ever touches the door, and since my hands are just skin, I haven't seen my handles scratched up.

5. Can't program fully extended seat or steering wheel position
Never noticed an issue here... Maybe I should double check the steering wheel position programming and see what happens. I don't ride with my seat all the way back because I'm only 5'9", so it wouldn't impact me.

6. Car is very heavy and will never be fast off the line.
Fast is relative; this car is faster than a lot of other cars no matter what anybody says.

7. Wheel paint easily ruined with non-all wheel cleaner.
I don't use chemicals to clean my wheels and never really needed to in order to get them clean, but I'll learn from the misfortune of others on that one!

8. Major blind spot on driver side
Mirrors are adjustable for a reason; adjust them and the blind spot is no longer a blind spot.

9. Some Nav and music box features disabled while moving.
Yeah, that pisses me off. Also, on this note, it would be nice to be able to use the phone dialer keypad. What happens when I check a voicemail or have to join a conference call with a code??? I have to pick up my phone, unlock it with the security code, and then input numbers on it. This is something that needs to be freed up from lockout because it makes using the system dangerous when you have to pick up your phone.

10. Seats wear quickly and can stretch leaving ripples.
Maybe an issue for larger people?? No issue here, and I'm 5'9" @ 170 lbs.

11. Seats uncomfortable after 1 hour - firm sides.
Not for me; I've been on 6 hour drives and have no issues. This are much more comfortable than the G35 coupe seats were.

12. Very small trunk space
Yep, agreed. It's a sports coupe, so I guess I can't have it all and I don't care about this issue.

13. 6MT gear shift vibrates at idle, noisy transmission
G35 coupe shifters vibrated A LOT more than these do. This never crossed my mind at all. The noisy transmission? Well, sometimes I hear a clink on shifts, but not always, and it never sounded like an issue to me.

14. Paddle shifters are slow due to rev matching
I have a 6MT, so no issue there.

15. 5AT downshifts in DS to 2nd can be rough
Again, I have a 6MT, no issue there.

16. Back seat is for brief case or child with no legs.
Child with no legs? I have a 6 and 8 year old that ride in my car without any issues. Leg room is limited, sure. Welcome to the world of the 2+2. Do you really want this car to be bigger and heavier for more leg room or to have less trunk space?

17. Door arm rests are too low and design cramps larger drivers.
Can't speak to that one since maybe I'm not big enough. I have no comfort issues in my car.

18. Head space is limited for tall drivers.
I'm probably not tall enough for me to be concerned with this @ 5'9", but people should know that the seats lower for height adjustment and recline as well.

19. Uncomfortable seat belt, digs into your neck.
Not an issue for me.

20. Electric seats move very slowly making full access to the back seat tiresome.
4-5 seconds is enough to tire someone? It never bothered me at all.

21. Driver storage in arm rest is very small
I thought it was enough for my needs. I'm also an anti-pack rat too. I HATE having a bunch of crap in my cars.

22. Can't adjust seats while seated and door is closed.
Uh, I can...and did. How the heck could you have programmed it to begin with???? Maybe you had an issue with control reach or something?

23. You chances of getting a speeding ticket will increase, expecially if you modify the exhaust and/or Intake. Engine Sound addiction.

Agreed, and I already got a ticket fooling around. Lesson learned though and I'm going to take it easy because I like low insurance rates.

24. Large fender gap on front wheel, really mandates a drop. Not everyone will want to drop the car.

It looks good to me the way it is. Lowered cars look goofy to me like they have a suspension problem or something, so I'm one of those that agree that dropping this car would feel like a ricer move.

The lack of a gap doesn't translate to better for everyone. It's not like we are rolling on 17's or something here with huge openings in the wheel wells and where the frame looks way to big for the wheels like some other cars.

Just my two pieces on it.

Oh, and while we have this thread to mention things we don't like as much about the cars we generally love, I'll toss in a couple things:

1. I don't like the voice controlled dialer in the car. The G35 coupe system was much better for speedy entry via voice and dialing. I can't interrupt the G37 and tell it to dial and it DEMANDS confirmation and there is no way I've seen to get around it.

2. As others have mentioned, the command list shortening move was pretty lame. Give us the option to limit the commands and stop removing functionality, Infiniti.... I'm seriously considering taking my unit out and hacking the QNX installation if it isn't in flash.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Taka37

Got a question for you guys.
I'm average height, 5"11.
Do you guys sit comfortably?
My driving style is that my car seat is leaned back a bit more than the average driver but i get maybe an inch of headroom.
what about you guys?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

I actually love the fact that this car has no functional cup holder!!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Brush

im 5 10 and i sit with the seats a bit back then normal and i have no blind spots or sitting problems
Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by EightOneZero
1. Car is easily identifiable as part of the "Nissan" family coming down the road. It shares many exterior traits with the Altima. Still a good looking car, but has lost the sharp lines that once made it stand out. Several times, I have had to take a double take to make sure I wasn't looking at an altima. Especially from the front.

2. Interior craftsmanship not up to par. Materials feel cheap compared to the G35

3. Test drove a 6spd and auto. Auto felt terrible, felt like I was in a Ford Taurus rental from Hertz. 6spd is the only way to go on this car

Still a great car (well made over all, good performance). I just think Infiniti slightly missed the mark with it.

For your #1, gotta agree but that goes the same with all makes, not just Nissan. LExus, I see a Toyota Camry coming down the road. Acura coming down the road, I see an Honda...etc.

2. Are you kidding? The G35 interior reminds me of my old Chevy Cobalt. The only part of the G37 interior that is annoying is the aluminum interior door handles that scratch easier than a vinyl record resting on some rocks. At least that got replaced in the '09.

3. Auto feels great. There is no substitute for a manual but you're probably used to a stick, not auto. It's all good though.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EightOneZero
1. Car is easily identifiable as part of the "Nissan" family coming down the road. It shares many exterior traits with the Altima. Still a good looking car, but has lost the sharp lines that once made it stand out. Several times, I have had to take a double take to make sure I wasn't looking at an altima. Especially from the front.

2. Interior craftsmanship not up to par. Materials feel cheap compared to the G35

3. Test drove a 6spd and auto. Auto felt terrible, felt like I was in a Ford Taurus rental from Hertz. 6spd is the only way to go on this car

Still a great car (well made over all, good performance). I just think Infiniti slightly missed the mark with it.
Man you're in a universe of ONE... I've never looked at a G and thought Altima..LOL..hilarious... now G35 sedan possible but easily distinguishable.

2,3 Auto is glass smooth, perhaps you were in sport mode or the car was freaking broken. Interior compared to the G35...were it better I'd be driving a G35... just can't get past the pop up Nav display and serously dated interior... were's that puking cat pic..lol.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-07-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
vimish

Issue 19. Uncomfortable seat belt, digs into your neck

This problem is easily resolved with gentle bending. When in the down position, the seat belt extension arm is curved to match the B-pillar so as to permit access to the rear seat; unfortunately, when level, that curvature positions the seat belt into the driver's neck.
Solution:
1. Open the door.
2. Position the seat belt extension arm horizontally level (should click into place).
3. Firmly grab the middle of the seat belt extension arm and gently bend the arm towards the outside of the car. I believe there is a metal liner inside the arm and that seems to keep the adjustment in place.
Bravo! This seat belt positioning is the best I have experienced.
The trade-off: When letting rear passengers in, you’ll have to push the arm slightly inward for it to clear the B-pillar.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
slip66

some of these things are subjective :/

If your going to do this list you should have pros in the same post.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
My gripes, in no order:

1. The interior door handles have some scratches even though I baby my G. I plan on swapping to Washi when available in 09.

2. For 6MT, The clutch is a tad heavy, touchy, abrupt and not very forgiving - still I am HAPPY to have 6mt, but sometimes I feel like I'm driving a diesel truck when I have to clutch in and out with so much effort. I am getting used to it but when I lazy shift I tend to shift not so smoothly and sometimes gear grind from applying Honda-rated pressure to the clutch. lol. My left calf is beginning to look bigger than the right, haha jk! On the brightside there wont be many manuals that give me trouble after mastering this one.

3. Soft Paint - swirls, scratches and chips easier than our 2000 Lexus GS400. Lexus has solid paint! This is 2008, Infiniti needs to step it up with the Paint Quality.

4. Front seat thigh/back/head space are a bit cramped for Big & Tall folks like me, specs should have been changed for US-production cars since we are bigger than Japanese

5. Back seats are a joke. Back seat passenger must be under 150 lbs and preferrably under 5'8" and even then will only be bearable for under 1 hour trips.

6. Trunk space is pitiful, my cousin's s2k trunk, though oddly shaped - is deeper. I had to engage in some basic engineering to fit all my stuff and my gf's stuff for our West Michigan trip. And we had to pack light in a backpack and duffle bag just to make it work in the G. On top of it I took the spare out for the trip to put more stuff in the spare's hollow which we needed to fit everything, lol. I took a can of fix-a-flat and said a prayer. Luckily I didn't get a flat.

7. For 6MT, when idling transmission makes some whirring noise on the 6mt's when clutch is NOT pushed in. Allegedly nature of the beast, I'm used to it. I just take it as a sign of raw power breating at resting idle, lol.

8. Seat belt fixture should be height adjustable, and honestly do they hafta have that little arm contraption? It looks like it wouldn't hold my fatass down in a crash - like I could just break the arm off myself. It's a little annoying to twist and turn that arm for back seat access as well cause then they get involved playing with it too.

9. Amenities/storage are all small - front cupholders fit Red Bull cans, center armrest on 6mt fits iPod and cable and phone charger. That's it. It's full. Door compartments are a joke, ackward to even try to put a drink in them. Glove compartment has envelopes, paperwork, some cds. 80% full already.

10. Love the 19-inch Sport Wheels, but they curb too easily - I haven't curbed em' yeat but lemme tell ya I have to pay so much attention to make sure they don't. On our Lexus GS400 I can purposely let the tire rub on the curb safely just to make sure I'm near the curb, now with the G I hafta park 1 foot away from curbs to be safe.

11. Overall interior quality is a little Nissfiniti. Materials, build, look and feel are all sandwiched between what I would imagine Nissan and Infiniti is. Not quite up to the solid craftmanship and par materials/feel of MB, BMW, or especially Lexus/Acura. However the interior does look more exciting/tech trendy and up to date than Bimmer, I'm happy.

That's about all I can think of, overall the pros of this car for the price still make it my car of choice for 40k. With a 60k budget I would have stepped up to the next level of course, but in all honesty most 60k Lux Sport Coupes do not give you 20k above and beyond what the G has to offer...Sooo. Yep.
I have to really agree with 7 and 10. My clutch is being particularly finicky these days (23k miles) and both of my front rims are curbed...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Brooklynlpb

Originally Posted by PureNick
1). I didn't get a lolipop when I bought my car.
2). When I set my air con to 72 degrees, it comes out at 71 (measured and documented).
3). My 349lb cousin cannot fit in the back seat.
4). I can't carry my 52" TV over to my girlfriend's house to watch movies.
5). I don't make 55mpg.
6). My salesman had a beard.
7). A spider spun a web in my wheel last night (serious issue here)
8). My salesman doesn't pump my gas, even after 5,000 miles (complete BS Infiniti)
9). Girl's don't flash me at red lights. Clearly a design flaw.
10). Tires squeel at 115mph on 180 degree off ramps.
11). Cop's radar can still register my speed.
12). Lambo drivers have yet to ask me to switch cars for the day.
13). I came to find out my sales man drives a Vette.
14). I have to make a payment every month.
15). Infinti doesn't offer 100,000 mile/year lease options.
16). My interest rate isn't -5%
17). Infiniti doesn't offer a carbon ceramic brake kit option.
16). My exhaust doesn't sound like a Ferrari. I thought it would. Sadface.
17). I lost my new car smell already.
18). Nav traffic doesn't show where cops and highway patrol are.
19). The DJ's on XM21, 20, and 66 are annoying.
20). I have yet to hear Rick Ashtley on either XM 8 or 9.
21). My seats don't massage me... or my family jewels.
22). My back up camera isn't in 1080p hi-def. Seriously, it's a 2008.

I'll update as more comes to mind...

Seriously, screw this junk. Porsche Boxter here I come.
i like number 9....
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
w0ady

seriously people need to learn how to park if they're complaining about curbing their wheels. when you drive a car enough, you should know exactly where the front/sides/rear are. try practicing with cones in a parking lot if you need to.

Quick Reply: TOP G37 Negatives