Sponsored By:

TOP G37 Negatives

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
ghotnit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles
Nav lockouts are a joke. WTF Infiniti!
I don’t have a major problem with the navigation system. If I am not moving I can use the touch screen and when I am moving the voice operation kicks in. You shouldn’t be messing with the touch screen when driving anyway. I guess I wish the voice worked all the time but other than that it works just fine.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What if you want to find the nearest restaurant and when the screen comes up you only get 4 choices because the nav-lock stops scrolling pages while driving too. Maybe lock out enterning an entire address would be ok if they unlocked scrolling and voice activated places of interest.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
NicksIvoryG37s

1.Noisy idle transmission is starting to really bother me.
2.Getting 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk is a challenge all in itself. Plus you have to take the driver out to make even 1 bag fit.
3.Trunk depth is pathetic, forget putting boxes in here.
4.BLIND SPOT to my left is crazy, starting to develop neck issues due to over extending my neck every time im trying to change lanes.
5.Small Radio/Nav issues across the board.

This is my last Infiniti. Im going back to Audi.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
As folks are looking on this forum for advice on the purchase of a new G37 I thought it would be handy to compile a list of all the negatives to help guide their decision making process, after all the pro's are obvious, these aren't. Here's my list..feel free to add.

1. Poor Gas mileage
I have no complaints. My mpg is better than I expected.
2. 08 Paint scratches easily
No more so than other current water based paints. I have about two really small and light scratches. That's it, and you have to consciously look for them or you'll miss them.
3. Stock Mufflers may rattle
This isn't a permanent situation. The muffler will be replaced for free.
4. 08 Door handles scratched easily
I assume you mean the interior handles. I don't have any scratches at all.
5. Can't program fully extended seat or steering wheel position
Again, I do not have this problem.
6. Car is very heavy and will never be fast off the line.
Very heavy? Not significantly heavier than others.
7. Wheel paint easily ruined with non-all wheel cleaner.
Again, I do not have this problem.
8. Major blind spot on driver side
I don't have any blind spot. In fact, I don't even know what you are talking about.
9. Some Nav and music box features disabled while moving.
10. Seats wear quickly and can stretch leaving ripples.
At 11K mi, mine haven't worn at all and I don't have any stretch marks or ripples.
11. Seats uncomfortable after 1 hour - firm sides.
Mine fit like a glove, even for 2-3 hours of driving.
12. Very small trunk space
Shallow, rather than small.
13. 6MT gear shift vibrates at idle, noisy transmission
I don't notice any vibration until I actually stare at the shifter during a red light. I do not get any transmission noise at all.
14. Paddle shifters are slow due to rev matching
Actually, they're slow because the 5AT is a pretty old design and a full automatic transmission. It is not a twin clutch manual.
15. 5AT downshifts in DS to 2nd can be rough
Again, not a permanent situation. Get the TSB reprogramming.
16. Back seat is for brief case or child with no legs.
To me, back seat is more usable than expected. I get plenty of 5'8" people in the back for rides over an hour with no complaints or comments.
17. Door arm rests are too low and design cramps larger drivers.
Again, no problem for me.
18. Head space is limited for tall drivers.
And, last, no problem for me.
Comments inserted above.

Last edited by notalk; 09-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My only issue is the soft paint. I guess I'm pretty easy to please?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM
nosocoeckodoz

Originally Posted by notalk
Comments inserted above.
The only complaints i've gotten have been its easy to hit your head on the roof. Easy solution, slouch a little or lean to a side. Honestly those original comments would make me not want to buy this car - good thing I dont agree with the original post.

I agree with about 99% of your review of those comments.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1). I didn't get a lolipop when I bought my car.
2). When I set my air con to 72 degrees, it comes out at 71 (measured and documented).
3). My 349lb cousin cannot fit in the back seat.
4). I can't carry my 52" TV over to my girlfriend's house to watch movies.
5). I don't make 55mpg.
6). My salesman had a beard.
7). A spider spun a web in my wheel last night (serious issue here)
8). My salesman doesn't pump my gas, even after 5,000 miles (complete BS Infiniti)
9). Girl's don't flash me at red lights. Clearly a design flaw.
10). Tires squeel at 115mph on 180 degree off ramps.
11). Cop's radar can still register my speed.
12). Lambo drivers have yet to ask me to switch cars for the day.
13). I came to find out my sales man drives a Vette.
14). I have to make a payment every month.
15). Infinti doesn't offer 100,000 mile/year lease options.
16). My interest rate isn't -5%
17). Infiniti doesn't offer a carbon ceramic brake kit option.
16). My exhaust doesn't sound like a Ferrari. I thought it would. Sadface.
17). I lost my new car smell already.
18). Nav traffic doesn't show where cops and highway patrol are.
19). The DJ's on XM21, 20, and 66 are annoying.
20). I have yet to hear Rick Ashtley on either XM 8 or 9.
21). My seats don't massage me... or my family jewels.
22). My back up camera isn't in 1080p hi-def. Seriously, it's a 2008.

I'll update as more comes to mind...

Seriously, screw this junk. Porsche Boxter here I come.

Last edited by PureNick; 09-02-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
just buy a BMW M6, all problems will be solved.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
RickB

Not sure about the seats on the S, but the non sport seats are not very good as far as adjustment travel is concerned. I can't lower the seat bottom enough for my taste. The seat controls are fine, unless you wear a dive watch on your left hand. Did I scratch the Rolex or the aluminum on the door handle this time??

Seatbelts are horribly designed. This car is Japanese, yet if your not one of the 2% of all Japanese people who are taller than 5'8 the seatbelt will constantly dig into your neck. I'm 5'7 and it's one of my top gripes. Heck even my 97 Eclipse Turbo had adjustable seat belt height.

Not really all that fun to autoshift and DS can't seem to make up it's mind. In theory it's great to have 3 shift modes, in reality the manual shifts are way too slow and the DS mode makes me worry about blowing my engine.

I'm a golfer and so is my wife so I have to pull out both drivers and a couple woods, so that sucks.

These are all nitpicks that are valid, but ultimately this is most exciting vehicle I've ever owned. Ferrari V-8 sound for 35K. I'll deal with the seatbelts.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ghotnit
I don’t have a major problem with the navigation system. If I am not moving I can use the touch screen and when I am moving the voice operation kicks in. You shouldn’t be messing with the touch screen when driving anyway. I guess I wish the voice worked all the time but other than that it works just fine.
I’m glad someone brought up the safety issue here. I’ve found that voice recognition works well enough in the G37 that nav hacking for touch-screen destination inputs is unnecessary. Furthermore, once you get into it, VR is faster that hitting all those buttons.

But I will agree with others that the inability to scroll down on certain screens while moving like nearby places and traffic alerts is an annoyance and should be allowed on future models.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys..guys.. your reading this wrong.. this isn't a flame thread abouth how aweful the G37 is, it's a fine car. These are just facts about the shortcomings so potential buyers can be aware and make an intelligent decision. Or if they do buy, know that care should be given to certain aspects like the seats.. don't wear your wallet. While some issues may be addressable by the dealer, be aware it's an issue you may have. More then one user has had to keep bringing their G back for rattling mufflers,others have never had the issue(myself) or had it fixed the first time. Never the less it's a known issue.

If you need motivation to be honest.. let's just make sure that new G37 your neighbor parks in his driveway or your coworker pulls into work is one that they'll be truely happy with, with full knowledge of it's shorcomings prior to purchase!

NicksIvoryG37S's a perfect example... he'd been happier with an Audi... nice cars as well.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 09-02-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Doug R

Just picked up the wifes G37s two days ago.I only have two complaints so far.I'll never be able to ride in this car because the seat digs into my back.I have a very large wide frame.It aint even close to fitting me.Second,I thought it would be a lot faster,but my wife cares less,so that really isn't a problem.

As to the styling,it looks great from most angles except the front.I think the Bimmer has it beat buy a mile on the front view.But that's just me.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
RIDEwithG

1. MPG is ok. It's in line with the EPA estimates. Kind of expected it when I chose to get this car so I can't complain too much about it.
2. I think all doors scratch easily. Wife's TSX is pretty scratched up. Nothing some waxing won't fix though.
3. It is surprisingly heavier than I expected. But overall, still quicker than most cars on the road.
4. I hear you on the blind spot issue. I've had a few close calls. Seems like i gotta do the "lean-forward then look over my shoulder" move to see clearly.
5. I'm actually surprised the trunk is as "big" as it is. It is a coupe after all. It is a bit shallow, but at least the seats can be folded down...unlike the sedan...I don't get that.
6. The interior door handle area kind of gets in the way when I try to adjust my seat. If you wear a watch, you will also scratch the living hell out of that metal handle.
7. I think the 5AT sucks. DS model is very unpredictable with its shifting. Oh well...
8.The seats aren't too bad, but I think they aren't made very well. I hear wear "ripping" sounds when I lean against it. The leather does seem to wear out quick. I've had my car for 3 months and it starting to look worn.
9. I'm 5'10 and that damn seat belt just digs into my neck. You can sort of adjust it a bit, so its not TOO bad. but still. Should be more adjustable.
10. There's a lot of rattling and the AC fan sounds terrible.

Overall, I still enjoy the car a lot. One of the best values around.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
DIGITALG37

Im 6ft. My hair hits the ceiling. IT SUCKS. I have one of those Euro-Faux- hawks. Nothign crazy but head rooms blows! and my back always hurts after driving for awhile. I duno why... i adjust the seat1,000 different ways but never can get it right. I dislike the fact that there isnt a button to auto fold in the ext mirrors, no AIR CONDITIONED SEATS- The Maxima Has it???? No Auto in and out moving of the steering wheel console and seat like in my G35X...

Boo.

The car does sound so sick when it starts up on a cold start. I wish it could sound that way all the time...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM
motocopter

Sorry dude. While that list is something you view as negatives, I don't care and just enjoy the car for what it is. How about a list of cars that you'd consider to be without negatives? As for some potential buyer to use the list when considering the purchase of a G37, it is unfair. I say unfair because the potential buyer may not have that feedback for another vehicle consideration. What if this potential buyer read the list and just walked away from the G37 and bought some other car which later was found to have issues that are harder to live with than items on your negative list? Yeah, buyer beware or tough he should have did better research before making a purchase.

Anyway, don't take this personal but I don't see any point to this list being posted on any forum.

Quick Reply: TOP G37 Negatives