G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Baby on the way - go bye-bye coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
pyctici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
come on guys lets be real, the g coup is not to carry the fam around in, its to meet the gurl and make the family in
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
joewee350

My wife has an Accord coupe and putting our newborn back there is a bit of a hassle. The carseat fits but you have to move the seat pretty far forward and then the passenger has to sit straight up and nearly on the steering wheel. We researched getting an IS350 but they have the same problem with having a car seat behind the front passenger. We test drove a g35 sedan and put the car seat in and had zero problems with front passenger comfort. We are now waiting for the 09 sedan to come out and we will pick one up.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
TViddy

I'd get a car that's pretty safe. I'm surprised that noone has suggested an Audi S4 or A6. That would be my choice.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i would not get a coupe... it's more practical to get a sedan or such... consider the IS or TL? congrats on the baby though
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't keep the coupe. I certainly wouldn't if I were in your shoes. If you want to stay in the same class, get a G sedan or TSX (gas saver).
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
g37s0608

Here's the thing if you get a sedan when you aren't ready to get a sedan you'd feel deprived perhaps even blame certain aspects of your life. It may become quite an area of friction.

I don't agree that a coupe is all that "un-practical" as most would lead you to believe.

Really, just because you get a kid doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a Mini-van or sedan. If you had to haul 3-4 kids and a wife around then that's an issue. But 1 baby and a wife? The G has more than enough room for that.

Is it hard to shove a car seat in the back seat? Sure, initially but its all about making it work with certain degrees offsets. Yes, it has less space to haul stuff in, in fact I on occasion I'd have to borrow my wife's CRV to run certain errands or making that trip to pick up furniture but I'm just not ready to commit to owning a sedan so I'm making it work. Like all thing it really depends on how much you really want something and what you're willing to do attain it
Old 08-29-2008, 11:14 PM
AlterZgo

I can't believe there are people in this thread recommending an IS350 for kid hauling. That car is less roomy than a G37 coupe.

Before I purchased my G35 sedan, I test drove an IS350. I couldn't believe how cramped the front and back felt. I crossed it off my list immediately.

My G35 sedan works fine with a booster seat and a forward facing child safety seat for my 4 yr old and 2 yr old.

I would get either the G35 sedan or M35/45 for family hauling.

Also, GS350s can be had for super cheap - like less than invoice price. You'll get better gas mileage than an M35/45 and it's pretty damn quick. It just handles like sh-t.

Also, coming from an 05 TSX, I would not recommend that car. It's completely gutless, doesn't handle nearly as well as the magazines claim, and the gas mileage was mediocre at best - like 21 mpg on average. The TSX was the most unsatisfying car I've ever owned.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 PM
BULLPRESTIGE

hmm, get the brand new fx50s dude, 0 - 60 5.6 seconds...shwiing
Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 PM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're in an area that gets 'Noreasters ... get a FWD 4-door car to avoid growing pains. We all have to grow up and with the price of gasoline only headed up ... G37 will hurt in both ways (getting kid in & out of car + refueling).

While I picked a G37, I have no kids planned in the near future and if need be, the car can go (but I won't part with the G easily). If you know this is gonna happen, I say think with your "brain" (aka pocketbook) and opt for the practical choice. The heart is where our passion comes from is not always practical and chooses far too irrationally most of the time.

Think about a TSX 6MT and call it a day. If you want to be coddled and not hurt your bank account, the ES350 (zzzz) is an option. I'm sure most of the people here will say G37 sedan, IS350, or 335i ... but for the most part, they're not the greatest on gas and the back seats aren't that great. TSX and ES350 have better entry/exit into the rear seats, IMHO.

PS I have no idea how someone can average 21mpg with a TSX unless he's stuck in traffic 50% of the time and floors the car at every stoplight. My wife's '07 TSX averages 24mpg and she is stuck in traffic 75% of the time and doesn't drive with a lead foot. We're going to drive 500 miles this weekend (round trip) and I can guarantee I will get 33mpg on the highway since I've done it on many occasions. I'd like to see any of the above mentioned cars do that on a regular basis.

Note: I do not like the front grill of the "new" TSX. Find a new '08 to save yourself the anguish of that exterior unless you are good friends with a body shop that can color match the paint to hide that monstrosity of a chrome grill ...

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 08-29-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add comment about TSX
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM
gthal

My wife has the nice big, practical family car (in our case a Hyundai Veracruz with 7 passenger seating) and the coupe for me

Whenever I go anywhere by myself, I will drive the coupe. When the wife and I go out for dinner/movie/whatever, we will take the coupe. Short hauls around town, I will throw the baby in the back and take the coupe... notice the trend HOWEVER, when we need practicality or when my wife complains about getting the little dude in the back, we can take the Veracruz Sounds like you have the potential for a similar situation...

I get to have a fun coupe and she gets to have something boring, slow and yet immensely practical. The universe is finally making sense to me Get the coupe my friend... you only live once.

Last edited by gthal; 08-30-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
g37s0608

The coupe could also serve as your "gettaway car" with the wife. For those "marriage revitalizing" cottage road trips.

It is also safer for older kids in that they don't have doors that they accidentally open

So really, your buying it for the two of you

Just because one's married with kid/(s) doesn't mean you'd have to loose your passions and wants and die a slow and painful death.

See I get this "practical" crap a lot from most eveyone I know:

"Why'd you buy a coupe, your a family man now?"

"Are you trying to get a mistress or something?"

"Are you having a mid-life crisis?"

I simply love the car's styling and happen to be a car buff.

I really don't buy into the bloody convention of buying a sedan/SUV/mini-van just because you're married with children, that's what my wife's CRV is for, and no I do not feel selfish as I still pay most all the household bills including the mortgage and my wife's CRV car payments, kickboxing, yoga and pilates classes every month.
In additon to having financed moving from our condo to the townhouse to make room for my son, as well as buying him most everything his little heart desires including a Nintendo DS last week costing me $300

For the record she does love her CRV, I tried getting her into the Hyundai Sante Fe or the Kia Sportage but that didn't sit well with her

Last edited by g37s0608; 09-02-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by BULLPRESTIGE
hmm, get the brand new fx50s dude, 0 - 60 5.6 seconds...shwiing
+1, if money is not too much of an issue.. the fx's are what will most likely satisfy you. It's fast and still sporty with room for whatever you might put in. It's also looked as a family car for some people. I would get that if I was in your shoes and if I wanted luxury, performance, and room for passengers. BMW X5 is another one to look at, but the fx looks better IMO.

for your reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEhr...eature=related are you sure you don't an FX now?

Last edited by NIGHTLFEphantom; 09-02-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
TheCutter

My wife and I have two girls - a 3 year old and a 7 month old. We own a G37coupe and an Acura MDX. Obviously, if we're all going somewhere, we'll usually take the MDX. However, I have two car seats in the back of the coupe, and it's really minimal effort to get the kids in there. In fact, my three year old cries if she has to go in the SUV, because she loves riding in "dad's car" (chip off the ol' block); she considers bumpy roads to be the most fun.

A couple of issues:
1. trunk space - you can only fit an umbrella stroller in there
2. rear-facing seat - for the sub-20lbs baby, you will need a rear facing car seat. This takes up more room than the front facing ones. We have our rear facing seat on the passenger side, as my wife is on the small side, and doesn't mind having her seat fairly far forwards. Unless you are really short, you won't want to put the rear facing seat on the driver's side.

As long as you have another more "practical" vehicle, the coupe is fine, even for two kids. Who really wants TWO practical vehicles??

An added bonus is the surprised looks that you get when you pull your family of 3 or 4 out of the coupe! Go for it!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Hawaiian72099

^^^+10
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Eastern-G

You guys are the best!

I was laughing my a-- off at your responses. Seems that most of you believe in some compromise -- definitely have a practical car for when you need it, but don't sacrifice having fun with the coupe as long as a few hassles are manageable. I still have the G37x coupe on my list after taking a few trips to the Jersey shore this weekend -- too much fun in this car! Gave the mutual thumbs up and nod to some G/Z drivers along the way. I doubt this would have happened if I were cruising to the beach in a Camry. Not that there's anything wrong with the Camry -- grew up with 2 of them courtesy of Mom and Dad.

While looking into all of your comments/suggestions I've realized that I definitely can't give up the "fun factor," so a sporty coupe/sedan/SUV is a must. So many cars to consider -- I'll definitely look into the M/FX/TSX/IS/GS/Accord coupe. One of my favorite things about the G is that it stands out in a crowd (makes mall parking a lot easier). I would consider a BMW, but there are just too many 3 sedans/coupes where we live -- I honestly think it would be difficult to find my car at the grocery store. Has anyone had any experience with the Audi A4/Avant or A5? I live near an Audi dealer and see them all the time. They look nice, but any info on whether they are good, bad, reliable, boring?

Thanks for all your comments -- definitely helping with the decision making process!

Quick Reply: Baby on the way - go bye-bye coupe?