G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting a G37S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Oggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will believe it when I see it. Scratch resistance does not mean a strong paint.

Originally Posted by Achilles
Paint issue has been improved on the '09 models. Nissan is notorious for soft (read:crappy) paint. They finally addressed this issue in the '09 models.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I think AB might stand out a little too much. I see that that shade of blue as the boy racer color and I think that's where some people are coming from too. Don't get me wrong, the color is awesome but I don't think it's really "professional" (or at least what you're looking for) or conservative.

As far as the car goes, like everyone has said, no major issue. Small things are all covered. Since you're obviously an enthusiast, I'd get the 6MT, you won't regret it. I only know people that have an auto and now wished they had gotten a 6MT but never the other way around.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G is a great daily driver. It's quick, handles great, fun in the twisties....Remains calm at low revs and really wakes up at higher revs. It's a classy car and I would recommend a mature, subtle sports exhaust such as the Tanabe and perhaps the JWT intake and some tints as the only real mods you would want/need for a peppy, luxurious and fun daily driver.....Beware the MPG is not the best. You'll be lucky to get about 18-20 MPG if you drive city.hwy 50/50.

If you are getting the car for work and want the executive/corporate look i would recommend getting Black (BO) or White (IP) or any of the silverish colors (AG, PG). All those look great and classy when tinted. Mine is BO. Since you already have a sporty/modded car I would not recommend AB or VR for your G. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^^ DetroitJoe: He's already got a silver G35.

Get the AB if you like it. The G37 is a great balance between sporty and classy at the same time IMO. The color shouldn't matter.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
silver g

Well guys I have made a decision... The dealers are having a hard time finding me an Athens Blue with dark interior so I am going to get the Diamond Graphite G37S (this is my second color choice). I am still leaning towards the 5AT but I did drive a 6MT and it is awfully tempting. I really should not have driven the 6MT...it really makes me want it.

Last edited by silver g; 08-29-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
ucla bruin

Congrats on making your decision on the color, that was the hard part for me.

If you get the 5AT, do you think you might regret not getting the 6MT? If you get the 6MT do you think you might regret not getting the 5AT?

If you don't feel like the 5AT could be boring then I'd get it, especially since you already have a heavily modded 6MT. But if you feel like you could get bored of the 5AT, I'd get the 6MT to have more fun.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
silver g

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Congrats on making your decision on the color, that was the hard part for me.

If you get the 5AT, do you think you might regret not getting the 6MT? If you get the 6MT do you think you might regret not getting the 5AT?

If you don't feel like the 5AT could be boring then I'd get it, especially since you already have a heavily modded 6MT. But if you feel like you could get bored of the 5AT, I'd get the 6MT to have more fun.

This is the stuggle I am going through...I know when I am in bumper to bumper L.A. traffic I will be happy I got the auto, but when I have the open areas of hwy I'm gonna wish I had the 6MT. My girlfriend/soon to be fiance wants me to get the auto so she can drive it occasionally. I may get the auto so she can enjoy it on occasion, and when I get the need to have some fun I will pull the ol G35 out of the garage. But I'm still debating...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
silver g

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
The G is a great daily driver. It's quick, handles great, fun in the twisties....Remains calm at low revs and really wakes up at higher revs. It's a classy car and I would recommend a mature, subtle sports exhaust such as the Tanabe and perhaps the JWT intake and some tints as the only real mods you would want/need for a peppy, luxurious and fun daily driver.....Beware the MPG is not the best. You'll be lucky to get about 18-20 MPG if you drive city.hwy 50/50.

If you are getting the car for work and want the executive/corporate look i would recommend getting Black (BO) or White (IP) or any of the silverish colors (AG, PG). All those look great and classy when tinted. Mine is BO. Since you already have a sporty/modded car I would not recommend AB or VR for your G. Variety is the spice of life.
Except for tint I can't mod...I'm a modding addict and once I start... I can't stop. LOL!!! That's why I am keeping the old G35 around. I can't afford two project cars
Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
ucla bruin

Thinking about your reasons for getting the 5AT: traffic, gf/fiance......then I'll go against my own preference to say get the 5AT.

You won't miss out the fun since you'll have your G35.

Just don't forget to bring it out to some So Cal meets.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
silver g

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Thinking about your reasons for getting the 5AT: traffic, gf/fiance......then I'll go against my own preference to say get the 5AT.

You won't miss out the fun since you'll have your G35.

Just don't forget to bring it out to some So Cal meets.
Yeah I need to get out to some more meets. I have been missing almost everything lately...
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

"Professional Corporate World" rings BMW and Mercedes-Benz to me...

Go figure, my company car (Which only the CEO's aloud to use, I guess), is a 4-door Bentley Continental. Makes my G look like ****.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
G372go

Two cents

Driving a 6MT G37S in the Washington DC area would serve only to increase the size of your left thigh and calf, and if you had a knee problem, which I have, then you might lock up in mid shift The 5AT with paddles is the way to go, especially with Betty's or others cables (makes the shifts a bit better at least noticeable).
I traded a Boxster triptonic in on my G and I really got used to the paddle shifting using the tach to keep the car in the optimum RPM range. I had the boxters ecu and that included the transmission flashed by a german firm and it really made a difference, but the G has better response and you can really keep it in the zone. And besides I feel like a formula one guy, and now when I drive my wife's RX 350 I keep wanting to paddle shift. I think all cars should have paddle shifters
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silver g
Well guys I have made a decision... The dealers are having a hard time finding me an Athens Blue with dark interior so I am going to get the Diamond Graphite G37S (this is my second color choice). I am still leaning towards the 5AT but I did drive a 6MT and it is awfully tempting. I really should not have driven the 6MT...it really makes me want it.
Have you tried to find the car yourself. My dealer couldn't find what I was looking for either and honestly I didn't get the feeling they were looking very hard. I located all the infiniti dealers within 100 miles and searched their inventory myself. It's easy just google "Infiniti city name". Found exactly what i was looking for in Columbia, SC. Did the deal over the phone and just went down to pick it up. Personally I can't see spending 40K and not getting exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 08-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
jdm_inspire

If you hate the traffic ... then auto makes sense.

I have 35% tint as my only 'mod' (besides debadging the "G37S" in the back -- who approved the idea of 3 different fonts on the rear of the car?!) and I don't plan on doing anything else in the near future.

BTW -- AB is the best color to pick (and a dark interior) ... no wonder it's so hard to find. But can you wait until the '09 model comes out? I hear it will have a 7AT, not the old 5AT ...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 PM
silver g

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Have you tried to find the car yourself. My dealer couldn't find what I was looking for either and honestly I didn't get the feeling they were looking very hard. I located all the infiniti dealers within 100 miles and searched their inventory myself. It's easy just google "Infiniti city name". Found exactly what i was looking for in Columbia, SC. Did the deal over the phone and just went down to pick it up. Personally I can't see spending 40K and not getting exactly what you're looking for.
The manager is a good friend of mine...so I'm sure he is doing his best. He has three coming in but they are all sold. He's still looking though, but most likely I will end up with the Diamond Graphite.

Quick Reply: Getting a G37S