Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sour Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sour Smell

I had the exact same problem with my G35. About 1 year into ownership the A/C started smelling sour when I turned it on.

Now the G37 is doing the same thing. Took it in 2 weeks ago for oil change and asked them to deodorize the airbox. Smell went away but is back already.

Anyone else experiencing the sour smell.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
vINCe_Inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrJones
I had the exact same problem with my G35. About 1 year into ownership the A/C started smelling sour when I turned it on.

Now the G37 is doing the same thing. Took it in 2 weeks ago for oil change and asked them to deodorize the airbox. Smell went away but is back already.

Anyone else experiencing the sour smell.
is it the typical odor that you smell when you first turn the ac ?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
DrJones

Only if you call a sour mildew smell "typical"
Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM
g37at44

Maybe it's not the car. :-)
Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
where do you live? maybe that's affecting it... not sure though, what did the dealership say when you asked them about it?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can change the in cabin air filter and that will help for a while. One thing that will cause that is condensation from the AC. Try turning your AC off a minute or so before you shut off your ignition. That will allow the heat from the engine to evaporate the water and keep it from mildewing.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Maybe you should wash your *****!

Sorry Dr., I couldn't resist.

Seriously, it's most likely mildew or mold growing inside your A/C ventilation system. You can buy some stuff at the auto parts store ( I forgot what it's called) to fix it that you spray into your A/C intake vents near the base of the hood. Or you can use a can of Lysol. Also check the in cabin micro filter for growth of gunk to see if that's the problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
xdram

Originally Posted by Kidcane
You can change the in cabin air filter and that will help for a while. One thing that will cause that is condensation from the AC. Try turning your AC off a minute or so before you shut off your ignition. That will allow the heat from the engine to evaporate the water and keep it from mildewing.
This is very good advise. My BMW started having this problem a year or so after I bough it. I replaced the cabin filter but that didn’t help. Then followed advise from the bmw forums about running the fan for a few if the AC was on and the smell eventually went away and I’ve been doing it ever since, owned the car for 8 years and never had that problem again... I do it on my G every time now and haven’t had that problem yet. I know it’s kind of a pain to remember plus if it’s a hot and humid that it starts getting nasty in the car quickly without the AC. If I forget I just turn the AC off and blast the fan for a few seconds before I shut her down, normally just enough so flush out the cool air from the system that has worked for me so far...

Try it, problem should go away after a few days.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
silent9o8

yo ive been getting that smell to ****s stinks but after a minute when the AC is on it goes away but im probably gonna try what the others said on this thread
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Maybe you should wash your *****!

Sorry Dr., I couldn't resist.

Seriously, it's most likely mildew or mold growing inside your A/C ventilation system. You can buy some stuff at the auto parts store ( I forgot what it's called) to fix it that you spray into your A/C intake vents near the base of the hood. Or you can use a can of Lysol. Also check the in cabin micro filter for growth of gunk to see if that's the problem.
LOL
Old 08-24-2008, 11:27 PM
tenfour

Originally Posted by xdram
This is very good advise. My BMW started having this problem a year or so after I bough it. I replaced the cabin filter but that didn’t help. Then followed advise from the bmw forums about running the fan for a few if the AC was on and the smell eventually went away and I’ve been doing it ever since, owned the car for 8 years and never had that problem again... I do it on my G every time now and haven’t had that problem yet. I know it’s kind of a pain to remember plus if it’s a hot and humid that it starts getting nasty in the car quickly without the AC. If I forget I just turn the AC off and blast the fan for a few seconds before I shut her down, normally just enough so flush out the cool air from the system that has worked for me so far...

Try it, problem should go away after a few days.
same thing happened w/ my BMW. blast the fan a few times here and there and you should be fine.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:44 PM
conmanx420

Do you keep it on "Recirculation" mode most of the time? That usually causes a "stale/mildew" smell.

Plus the manual says not to keep in on this mode for extended periods of time because of this very reason.

If that's the case just put it to fresh air mode to flush out the stale air and you should be fine.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
tenfour

^^good looking out. forgot to mention to keep it on 'fresh air' mode when running the fan.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I noticed this funky smell from the AC vent's during start ups for about a month. I don't notice it now though.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:41 AM
G37RacerX

I did not use my AC for months as I got it in October. I made sure it was not on for the first few months, noticing that it automatically engaged if I used the defrost mode, I would turn it right back off. Anyhooo, the first F'n time I did use the AC, I got a lil' whif of the dreaded smell. WTF is up with that, I have no idea...

Quick Reply: Sour Smell