Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

JD Power & Associates Dependability Rankings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD Power & Associates Dependability Rankings

Just trying to gauge opinions. Infiniti ranks just above the industry average but far lower than the likes of BMW.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...t=newsmichigan

AFAIK, this test was based on 2005 models. The only thing that irks me about JD Power is that they weigh all complaints the same. Basically, if you complain about your window fogging up too much they weigh that the same as if your engine fails.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Taktix1
Just trying to gauge opinions. Infiniti ranks just above the industry average but far lower than the likes of BMW.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...t=newsmichigan

AFAIK, this test was based on 2005 models. The only thing that irks me about JD Power is that they weigh all complaints the same. Basically, if you complain about your window fogging up too much they weigh that the same as if your engine fails.

JD Power has been known in the auto industry to favor the unfavored. For example, 7 years ago when I was in the auto industry selling Hyundai's, JD Power said their reliability was #1, above Honda and Toyota. While that was a great selling point for us and helped us sell more volume, even the actual salespeople thought it was total BS.

FWIW, My 335i vert went to the shop for:

Replacement of ECU
Replacement of Primary Turbo
Replacement if Second Turbo 2 weeks after primary turbo
Replacement of entire engine after it rained and I turned it on, somehow, the vehicle took in water through the hood... i mean wtf??
iDrive aka the Navi screen malfunctioned, needed new hardware replaced
Convertible top making weird noises, needed replacement
Christmas light function, aka everything on the dash lit up
Car Depreciation on sale.... ugh... and JD Power says great reliability?

Don't get me started on them. It was a quick little rocket though..
Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
SFG37S

pfffffffffffffff.........................J.D Power. They said the same thing about my Dakota R/T. 52,000 miles without a problem!

Last edited by SFG37S; 08-07-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fat finger
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Taktix1

It's just funny cause werent they the ones a few months back that listed Infiniti #1? although i think that was for 'INITIAL QUALITY' or something..
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

^^^And the G37 was also rated #2 in maintaining retail value. Also, Motortrend and Road and Track said the G37 held up a lot better then the 335i, it was a lot more reliable.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM
bocatrip

If Mercury is coming in 3rd on this list and Jaguar is rated better than Infiniti, you should be able to come to your own opinion on the overall worth of this survey.

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-08-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Gday
Banned

Looks about right to me. I owned a G35, it needed a new motor after 2k miles. Fought with the dealership for 1 year b4 they caved in. While going thru that battle, I had rear axle clicks, window motor failure, sunroof getting loose, and poor thread wear.

The G37 seems to be doing a lot better with Quality.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
dean2900

Let me let you guys in a dirty little secret. JD Power is a MARKETING company. I have a client that used them. The client pays them a ton of money and they tell you how to improve your quality overall and you pay tons of consultants for wasted time. The more you pay JD Power, the better your rankins are.

However, I want to caution people to lumping car categories together. All Cars are not made equally with Infinti. The G37 (I assume G35 also) is all made and assembled in Japan and the G35 had good quality.

BMW has more lemons than any car maker but they have the best marketing plan of any car maker.

However, many of the big Auto Magazines that always pick BMW over Infinti, Acura, etc. are now starting to say that the G35/G37 is a better bang for the buck than the BMW equivilent.

Dean
Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by dean2900
Let me let you guys in a dirty little secret. JD Power is a MARKETING company. I have a client that used them. The client pays them a ton of money and they tell you how to improve your quality overall and you pay tons of consultants for wasted time. The more you pay JD Power, the better your rankins are.

However, I want to caution people to lumping car categories together. All Cars are not made equally with Infinti. The G37 (I assume G35 also) is all made and assembled in Japan and the G35 had good quality.

BMW has more lemons than any car maker but they have the best marketing plan of any car maker.

However, many of the big Auto Magazines that always pick BMW over Infinti, Acura, etc. are now starting to say that the G35/G37 is a better bang for the buck than the BMW equivilent.

Dean
Better bang for the buck no doubt!!!!!!!