Sponsored By:

Just test drove a G37s

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just test drove a G37s

Hi all,

I'm new here and have been considering a G37s as my next car. I currently drive a BMW 328i sedan and, I have to say, really have enjoyed the car. But as my family grows, we are looking at getting a "family mobile" and that frees up my car from that duty which means I am going to get a coupe .

I have been considering a BMW 335i and the G37s. The Audi A5 is beautiful but underpowered and over priced IMO. So, finally went to the Infiniti dealership and test drove a 2008 G37s.

Here are my thoughts so far...

Exterior:

This is really a toss up for me. I love both the 335i coupe and the G37s. I prefer the AMAZING 19" rims on the G37s however. The only concern I have is the limited replacement tire selection (I checked Tire Rack and there really is a limited selection) and the cost of winter tires on 18" or 19" rims this winter. The 335i has far more flexibility there. IMO... this category is a toss up.

Interior:

Hands down, without a doubt, the G37s is the winner here. Same high quality material but far more expensive looking, better NAV, seats are great and the sport steering wheel is amazing. The 335i seats are great too and there are some really cool interior options (a.k.a. saddle brown leather) but the dash of the 335i is just plain boring. HUGE advantage to the G37s here. Only downside is the rear seat and trunk are unusable compared to the 335i.

Handling:

Pretty close but I would have to give the edge to the 335i. The G37s feels very heavy and bulky compared to the 335i. Having said that, I think that overall grip is very comparable and stability in corners is very comparable too. I don't have the weight specs on hand but I would say that the 335i is lighter and, even if it is not, if feels much lighter and more tossable. Slight, and I reiterate, slight advantage to the 335i.

Engine:

The 335i's engine is smoooootthhh and has much greater torque than the g37s (300lbs/ft at 1,400 rpm). The car feels faster and, in fact, is faster according to all published stats. Having said that, it feels very close and the G37s is very satisfying to push hard with an amazing exhaust sound!! On the highway, the 335i would be the smoother, quieter engine. I'd have to give the edge to the 335i.

Features:

The G37s comes standard with everything! 335i everything is an option. Advantage G37s.

Value:

Well, this is easy. Fully loaded G37s runs $52,000 CDN and a comparably equiped 335i will run $61,000 CDN. That's about $200 per month difference.

Conclusion:

I was very, very surprised by how close the G37s was to the 335i coupe overall. The cars are truly similar in many ways. I would probably give the 335i a slight advantage as a pure drivers car but would likely be happier on a daily basis in the G37s as the interior (at least for 2) is far more luxurious and sporty at the same time. Although I haven't decided yet (need to work out an agreement with the wife on timing and I need to drive both again for a more extended test) but I am leaning towards the G37s given the HUGE price advantage and the slight performance disadvantage. If the cars were equivalently priced, I have to say I would probably pick the 335i. Given the value advantage, it looks like I am leaning towards the G37s.

Gotta say though... you guys are ALL driving an amazing car. Congrats and hope to be part of the club sometime in the near future.

Last edited by gthal; 08-05-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to myG37. We certainly do love our cars and stand by them 110%. Many of us are on our 2nd or even 3rd Infiniti. Personally, this is my second Infiniti (2005 G35 previously) and I will likely own many more.

Cruise around the forums and let us know if you have any questions.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gthal
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been considering a G37s as my next car. I currently drive a BMW 328i sedan and, I have to say, really have enjoyed the car. But as my family grows, we are looking at getting a "family mobile" and that frees up my car from that duty which means I am going to get a coupe .

I have been considering a BMW 335i and the G37s. The Audi A5 is beautiful but underpowered and over priced IMO. So, finally went to the Infiniti dealership and test drove a 2008 G37s.

Here are my thoughts so far...

Interior:

Hands down, without a doubt, the G37s is the winner here. Same high quality material but far more expensive looking, better NAV, seats are great and the sport steering wheel is amazing. The 335i seats are great too and there are some really cool interior options (a.k.a. saddle brown leather) but the dash of the 335i is just plain boring. HUGE advantage to the G37s here. Only downside is the rear seat and trunk are unusable compared to the 335i.
I'm confused. You're comparing sedan vs sedan? If so, how are the G37 (well, soon to be G37 sedan) rear seats and trunk unusable? If you're talking about the coupe, then that makes sense, but doesn't that contradict the whole idea of a "family mobile" vehicle?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
trulydevoted

Wow, great comparison man. I just got my G37 a month ago and I was thinking about a 335i as well but I have to say I don't regret getting the G37 at all, from the second I hit that push button till the time I get out of the car, it's one amazing ride!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
frcefed

I owned the 335i for about 6months and sold it. Too many issues with it, BMW aren't built like they used to and my 335i is living proof. G37S FTW!!

Good luck on ur decision.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I'm confused. You're comparing sedan vs sedan? If so, how are the G37 (well, soon to be G37 sedan) rear seats and trunk unusable? If you're talking about the coupe, then that makes sense, but doesn't that contradict the whole idea of a "family mobile" vehicle?
Sorry... maybe I wasn't clear. I currently have a 328i sedan. My wife is getting a second vehicle (the family mobile). Therefore, I am getting an impractical coupe. I was comparing the G37s coupe to the 335i coupe.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
MitoXbR

G37 is the way to go, I look at 335i, 328i cuz prices=to G37, Audi TT, GS350 too. G's got way better dash than the 335i and TT boring plain look.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
prutkows

tell you what, when i test drove the 335i/G37S/is350 back when i was trying to decide, i felt almost exactly the same way you do in terms of 335 vs G37.

obviously the 335 is faster and i guess more "proven" as its been around longer but the G, to me handles way better.. yeah its heavier but i like the stiffer suspension on the S compared to the "soft" 335i.

anyway, if at the end of the day the cars are about even, all things considered.. you have to remember that the G is about $8k cheaper (i think something like that).

Also, in terms of rarity.. 335i's are dime a dozen, and i find the G37S is much more noticeable and turns a lot more heads (if that even matters to you)
Old 08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Oggie

For the price to performance ratio, you cannot ignore the G37S. Furthermore, the G37 has a way better interior than a 335. If you add the reliability into the equation, G37 is the clear choice. BMW has been coming down on modding the N54 engine. Coupled with turbo lag (recent software upgrades) and overheating issues, I would definitely go with a normal aspirate engine as in the G37.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gthal
Sorry... maybe I wasn't clear. I currently have a 328i sedan. My wife is getting a second vehicle (the family mobile). Therefore, I am getting an impractical coupe. I was comparing the G37s coupe to the 335i coupe.
Ahhh gotcha. Well, I think you summed up the differences pretty well. Either way, you really can't go wrong. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Oggie
For the price to performance ratio, you cannot ignore the G37S. Furthermore, the G37 has a way better interior than a 335. If you add the reliability into the equation, G37 is the clear choice. BMW has been coming down on modding the N54 engine. Coupled with turbo lag (recent software upgrades) and overheating issues, I would definitely go with a normal aspirate engine as in the G37.
Interior, it's not even close. The BMW interior is ugly, 1985 Station wagon ugly.
The G's interior blows it away. Performance, the BMW has the edge, twin turbos don't hurt. But as stated above, the price-for-performance, the G is a solid contender. If you want to pay the extra 10k, more power to you. I just couldn't see myself spending 10K more for an interior that is butt ugly!!!

imo
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
gthal

Originally Posted by Achilles
Interior, it's not even close. The BMW interior is ugly, 1985 Station wagon ugly.
The G's interior blows it away. Performance, the BMW has the edge, twin turbos don't hurt. But as stated above, the price-for-performance, the G is a solid contender. If you want to pay the extra 10k, more power to you. I just couldn't see myself spending 10K more for an interior that is butt ugly!!!

imo
Well, I think I agree. I pretty much have decided on the G37S. I am probably going to wait until the 2009s come out before I pull the trigger. The car is just SOOOO much nicer inside!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

G37S=LSD ftw!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

^^ what they said.

I also test drove them both and i went with a g37s.

when i was at the BMW dealer, they had ZERO manual 335i's on the lot. This was a major disappointment. Apparently they said that they have 200 cars on the lot, but nobody wants a manual BMW. The ultimate drivers car and they dont even have 1 single manual car on the lot? That sucks (imo.)

The 335i is very nice, but i think ill have more fun with my g37s

michael
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
You will find that most people on here with a G37 cross shopped it with the 3 series, as the cars are very similar in performance and appeal. In the end you have to decide which one is best for you, like others on here, I decided that the G37 was the better of the two choices. Good luck in your decision and hope to see more post from you!

Quick Reply: Just test drove a G37s