G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just test drove a G37s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
lakers8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the g37 is the right choice. My friend has a 335, and yeah its fast, but he also has alot of problems with it. The brakes wear down very fast, and he has had his turbos shut down on him many times, so i would recommend the g37, not because i have one and i like it more, just because it seems more reliable.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fair review, you forgot one area of comparison though..reliability. While the G's history is still being made, BMW's already is made and the general consenus is the G would be a more reliable car which should help push you to the inevitable conclusion...Go G.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
SFG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I don't know about you guys But the "G" is the worst piece of junk on the road! From Beamers to Minis and Prius's, They are all better than the G.
Make sure you tell every one you know!

Hands down, The most fun one can have with his pants on as far as a "bang for the buck" GT style coupe today! And she looks pretty fine too!

Last edited by SFG37S; 08-06-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
dmfitz82

Great review!! I also had a bmw 3 series before the G37S. I also almost purchased the 335i coupe with Dinan, but the it was the price difference that was the deciding factor... Decided to keep the 10k for something else.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Clarificaition.. by "G" I meant G37S...lol
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
nonsensez9

I went for a short test drive a few weeks ago, too. Using my '05 mustang gt for comparison, the G37 is quiet, smooth, great brakes, and has nice interior features but lacks torque and headroom. I would definitely trade the torque for the ride, though. But the headroom issue..... why oh why can't they sell a G37 in Canada without a moonroof?!!! I'd drop down to the US, but even there if you want Nav or the upgraded stereo you have to accept a moonroof. AAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!

Maybe next year will be different....(hahaha) I look forward to learning more about the all wheel drive version due out later this year. With that and the new paint they've come up with, a guy could drive it year round up north.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM
SFG37S

Question How much head room ya want?

I am 6'5 and I can get quite comfortable! I will admit I now know when its time to get a haircut though!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I'm confused. You're comparing sedan vs sedan? If so, how are the G37 (well, soon to be G37 sedan) rear seats and trunk unusable? If you're talking about the coupe, then that makes sense, but doesn't that contradict the whole idea of a "family mobile" vehicle?
No no no. He's saying that his car doesn't need to be a family car anymore since he will be getting a "family mobile" in addition to this car. He wants a coupe for himself.

As far as your car decision I saw things very similarly--it was essentially a toss-up between the two cars but until I saw the sticker, the G37 is so much less expensive! Get the G!!!! Actually, don't. I like being one of the rare few with this car among the 9 billion 3-series out there (but really, the G37 is the better choice!).
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Here's another way to look at it. Compare the G37 to the 328i coupe. Obviously the G37 is the better choice. A hell of a lot more for the same price. The only difference between the 328 and the 335 is TT. Add TT to the G37 and it costs the same as the 335i. The G37 with TT is obviously a better choice than the 335i, it takes away the only thing the 335i has on it, speed, and by a long run too.

Getting the 335i is like buying a 328 and adding a TT the next day. Why not, rather than getting a 328 and adding a TT the next day, get (for the same price) a G37 and add a TT the next day!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
thegad

Hey I am in exactly the same boat! I drove the 335i coupe and fell in love, but then I drove the G37s and was extremely surprised by how much I loved it too. Right now I'm leaning towards the G37, the combination of it's sexiness and the savings are hard to beat. Actually screw the savings, I really think the reason I'm going to end up with the G37 is because it just looks so good. The slight performance advantage the 335i had will be missed...until I get out of the car and look back at it in the parking lot!

The question on my mind right now is do I try to snag an '08 at rock-bottom pricing or wait for the 7speed auto+scratch resistant paint on an '09. I'm planning on going with a black car so the scratch shield is very tempting.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by thegad
Hey I am in exactly the same boat! I drove the 335i coupe and fell in love, but then I drove the G37s and was extremely surprised by how much I loved it too. Right now I'm leaning towards the G37, the combination of it's sexiness and the savings are hard to beat. Actually screw the savings, I really think the reason I'm going to end up with the G37 is because it just looks so good. The slight performance advantage the 335i had will be missed...until I get out of the car and look back at it in the parking lot!

The question on my mind right now is do I try to snag an '08 at rock-bottom pricing or wait for the 7speed auto+scratch resistant paint on an '09. I'm planning on going with a black car so the scratch shield is very tempting.

That's quite a problem there my friend. That will be your choice. Either way, you can't lose.

I'm leaning towards waiting for the '09 even though the price of an '08 will be really good in a few weeks.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
dennisjai

Originally Posted by soldier9599
Here's another way to look at it. Compare the G37 to the 328i coupe. Obviously the G37 is the better choice. A hell of a lot more for the same price. The only difference between the 328 and the 335 is TT. Add TT to the G37 and it costs the same as the 335i. The G37 with TT is obviously a better choice than the 335i, it takes away the only thing the 335i has on it, speed, and by a long run too.

Getting the 335i is like buying a 328 and adding a TT the next day. Why not, rather than getting a 328 and adding a TT the next day, get (for the same price) a G37 and add a TT the next day!
Warranty.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
BHCubed

I'll admit to cross shopping the G37 with the bmw 3-series as well. I started looking at BMW because of the incentives they're offering %0.9 financing, good lease rate, free maintenance. I eleminated the 335i coupe almost immediately because of price, even with incentives. I narrowed it down to the G37(s) or the 328i coupe, simiarly equipped and priced. Once I drove both, and realized how much nicer, the interior is on the G37 and the performance/$ I decided on the G37.

Then I had a tough time deciding on Premium/Nav or Premium/Sport. I had the same concerns as the OP about the Sport, with the summer tires. I decided on the Premium/Sport because I think you get more out of it than Nav, plus Nav is over priced anyway.

So, I finally decided on G37 Premium/Sport, Athens Blue, Stone Leather.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 PM
thegad

Picked up a new G37 Premium/Sport, Obsidian Black, Graphite Leather yesterday and have been enjoying the hell out of it ever since. Quite the upgrade over my '97 Maxima. I hope you're having as much fun as I am BH, can't wait to finish the break in period!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:38 PM
BHCubed

Originally Posted by thegad
Picked up a new G37 Premium/Sport, Obsidian Black, Graphite Leather yesterday and have been enjoying the hell out of it ever since. Quite the upgrade over my '97 Maxima. I hope you're having as much fun as I am BH, can't wait to finish the break in period!
I picked up my car yesterday too. Congrats man. the drive home from the dealer and the drive to work this morning have certainly been more pleasurable. btw, what is considered break in period?

Quick Reply: Just test drove a G37s