Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2009 G37 Coupe Ordering Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
wanta2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
The non-S is plenty sporty especially relative to every other car on the road. It's sportier than the Sedan and about the equivalent to or even slightly more sporty than the S model sedan. The S model coupe takes the sportiness to a slightly higher level. You would however notice the difference when you drivre an S and non S back to back.
Thanks kahboom, making me feel good about not being able to get the AWD "S", my first choice for a car was a "Z" but the partner was mad to find out it only had two seats (kids down the road), so the G was my next choice, however I wanna squeeze as much sportiness as I can outta it hehehe. Glad to know the non "S" has got some sporty spunk to it ...
Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Disclaimer -- My wife has a 09 FX35 with the new 7AT, so I have day-to-day experience with it. Previously, she had an 06 FX35 with the 5AT, so I remember what that was like.

7AT Weight -- how much does the 7AT weigh vs. the 5AT? Since it is a "proven fact", you must have the numbers handy? Plenty of auto makers have lightened or equaled transmission weights while adding ratios, so unless you have proof otherwise, I'd say this claim is b.s.

7AT Goals -- the goal is performance AND mileage. Both are substantially improved by the 7AT, all else being equal.

7AT Speed -- more gears allows for more aggressive lower ratios while not creating a problem during cruising on the highway. This leads to better performance. The 09 FX35 is a full second (6.1) faster than the outgoing model (7.1), mostly because of the gear ratios, since the HP bump is minor (23hp), despite weighing slightly more than the old car. Gears are what determine what the torque applied at the tires is. Obviously shorter gears means more torque at the tires, means a faster car. ALWAYS. The examples you are citing are torque-monster V8s that, if given shorter gears, would roast the tires, and so shorter gears does not help those cars. Infiniti V6 engines are NOT torque monsters by any means.

As an aside, the 7 speed DSG in the GTR is what makes it fast in the 1/4 mile, according to MotorTrend. It shifts into 3rd before 60mph -- but it shifts so fast that it still outperforms a Z06 that is still in 1st gear at 60mph! -- THANKS to short gear ratios and LOADS of traction from the AWD system.

Scrachshield paint -- we have this on my wife's new FX. We'll see what it does and doesn't do. I know all the EX35s on the dealership lot have swirls on them, so it can't be working any miracles. For what it is worth, we took delivery of the 09 FX35 sans-dealerwash, took it home, washed and polished it. It looks perfect today. We'll see when the chips/scratches start showing up.

Every time a new, improved car comes out, folks with the older model come out to talk trash about how it's not a big deal that the new car has X, Y or Z features. Reality check... the new G37 coupe is going to be a better sporty coupe than the 2008 models. It would be noticeable in a day-to-day driving and especially noticeable in spirited driving. My favorite feature about my wife's new FX is the 7AT -- it locks the torque converter much more often, making the automatic tranny feel much more like a manual tranny, and eliminating much of the "free-spin" of the old 5AT. Plus we're cruising at 2k RPM at 80MPH+ on the highway.
I never stated the 2008 G will get better gas mileage than the 2009. I stated:

"Did anyone account for the issue that it is a PROVEN FACT, a 7AT weighs more than a 5AT? They are identically designed using the same materials, making the 7AT ideally, heavier."

The 7AT gets slightly improved gas mileage; 1 combined MPG at that. I am not going to sit l, COMPUTE and argue how the deal you can get on an 08 right now outperforms the amount of gas you will save in 3 years, heck even 5 years on an 09. Keep in mind, 1 MPG.

CAN the 7AT be quicker than the 5AT? without a doubt. Can the gear ratio's on the 5AT be modded to outperform the 7AT? again, no doubt here.

The statement is clearly to state - the 08 early adopters are not missing a thing for an 09. FWIW, my Infiniti manager advised he will take mine in trade for an 09 (even it, being a lease) for $1.5k down, and continue my monthly payment.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
I never stated the 2008 G will get better gas mileage than the 2009. I stated:

"Did anyone account for the issue that it is a PROVEN FACT, a 7AT weighs more than a 5AT? They are identically designed using the same materials, making the 7AT ideally, heavier."

The 7AT gets slightly improved gas mileage; 1 combined MPG at that. I am not going to sit l, COMPUTE and argue how the deal you can get on an 08 right now outperforms the amount of gas you will save in 3 years, heck even 5 years on an 09. Keep in mind, 1 MPG.

CAN the 7AT be quicker than the 5AT? without a doubt. Can the gear ratio's on the 5AT be modded to outperform the 7AT? again, no doubt here.

The statement is clearly to state - the 08 early adopters are not missing a thing for an 09. FWIW, my Infiniti manager advised he will take mine in trade for an 09 (even it, being a lease) for $1.5k down, and continue my monthly payment.
You stated that it was a proven fact that the 7AT is heavier. That's the evidence I was asking for. How much more does it weigh?

Modding a 5AT to have ratios like a 7AT? How many people do you know who have modded individual gear ratios in a 5AT? That's totally impractical and ridiculous. What most people do is change the final drive ratio -- and have fun cruising at 4500 RPM on the highway.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
Make sure you compute the extra depreciation of buying that vehicle right now before the 2009 hits. Let me help you out - $2000-2500 depending on options. So most could save now and take the hit when they trade or pay more now, get the better gas mileage for a few years, and potentially be money ahead...

Or wait until November and buy a 2009 at invoice, but I digress...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM
JDM

unsubcribe, this thread is out of control
Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
msb3079

i got the 6MT... (i'd never get this car in an auto.. whether it's 5 gears or 20)
so i'm glad i didnt wait.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm really not that pissed about the fact that the 7AT WILL get better gas mileage, what I am pissed about is the fact that come time to sell my car (I own it). Its value will be severly hurt by a car thats one year newer but has what can be perceived as substiantially improved features. This diminishes the value of my purchase and I am not amused infiniti.
And no this is NOT a mid life refresh which usually comes later on in the product life.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
I'm really not that pissed about the fact that the 7AT WILL get better gas mileage, what I am pissed about is the fact that come time to sell my car (I own it). Its value will be severly hurt by a car thats one year newer but has what can be perceived as substiantially improved features. This diminishes the value of my purchase and I am not amused infiniti.
And no this is NOT a mid life refresh which usually comes later on in the product life.
well, the sedan did come out in 07, so this 09 is a refresh. the only people pissed about the trans is probably the auto coupe owners, but it doesnt really affect them because the 09 auto is still 5spd, unless they get a X model, which is new for coupe.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Keng

Er 09 Coupe is 7 AT
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Keng
Er 09 Coupe is 7 AT
oh, dang, that sucks for the auto coupe owners.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
mal_TX

I want the washi door trim for my 08!

Prolly cost like $500 tho, lol
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM
JonnyOzero3

I like seeing the "recommended" data for percentages of different option groups. I bet that's not far off from the number that sell, so that means the Sport 6MT's are probably pretty rare at around ~15% of the G37 market...cool....(that's a partial answer to a thread asking that question somewhere around here...)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like the auto door locks, rotary heat seater controls, and washi door trim in my G. This same crap happened to me when I got my 04 TSX and my 06 Civic Si. They ALWAYS add features the second model year. One day I'll learn to avoid first model-year cars....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
JonnyOzero3

What they really need to add is air-conditioned seats....

And ~30ft/lbs of torque.

That would make me think about trading in during this model year.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its cool to see what the options for 09 are. I am glad though that I have my 08 Journey sport with 4WAS. Since you can't get the sport package or 4was with the X version, I am glad that I bought what I did. I imagine that it would be VERY tough and expensive to make the X version available with the big brakes, sport suspension, big wheels and 4 wheel active steer.

Quick Reply: 2009 G37 Coupe Ordering Guide