G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2009 G37 Coupe Ordering Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swirl proof paint would revolutionize the industry. This is probably just a minor improvment in durability, though I would like to see some independent tests.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Scratchshield paint is kind of a bunch of B.S. in my opinion.

I inspected the paint in the sun on several brand new EX35s at my local dealerships (have been washed by dealer) and they all had visible swirls from the dealership swirling department (er, i mean, detailing). A few of them were dirty again so I know it had been awhile since they were washed.

If the scratchshield paint cannot even heal swirls, I'm not sure what the point is?

Anyone else have experience with this?
Compare the paint to the current paint on the coupes. Nissan is notorious for the softest paint ever!!!

Brand new coupes, sitting on the lot with plastic covered interiors and they already have scratches on them, especially around the door handles.

You'd rather have Inifiniti do nothing at all and leave the paint as is?? I'm glad some attention was brought to this HUGE defect. Scratch shield paint is not going to solve everything but a simple fingernail should not scratch the paint on a 45k car.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
mal_TX

Disclaimer -- My wife has a 09 FX35 with the new 7AT, so I have day-to-day experience with it. Previously, she had an 06 FX35 with the 5AT, so I remember what that was like.

7AT Weight -- how much does the 7AT weigh vs. the 5AT? Since it is a "proven fact", you must have the numbers handy? Plenty of auto makers have lightened or equaled transmission weights while adding ratios, so unless you have proof otherwise, I'd say this claim is b.s.

7AT Goals -- the goal is performance AND mileage. Both are substantially improved by the 7AT, all else being equal.

7AT Speed -- more gears allows for more aggressive lower ratios while not creating a problem during cruising on the highway. This leads to better performance. The 09 FX35 is a full second (6.1) faster than the outgoing model (7.1), mostly because of the gear ratios, since the HP bump is minor (23hp), despite weighing slightly more than the old car. Gears are what determine what the torque applied at the tires is. Obviously shorter gears means more torque at the tires, means a faster car. ALWAYS. The examples you are citing are torque-monster V8s that, if given shorter gears, would roast the tires, and so shorter gears does not help those cars. Infiniti V6 engines are NOT torque monsters by any means.

As an aside, the 7 speed DSG in the GTR is what makes it fast in the 1/4 mile, according to MotorTrend. It shifts into 3rd before 60mph -- but it shifts so fast that it still outperforms a Z06 that is still in 1st gear at 60mph! -- THANKS to short gear ratios and LOADS of traction from the AWD system.

Scrachshield paint -- we have this on my wife's new FX. We'll see what it does and doesn't do. I know all the EX35s on the dealership lot have swirls on them, so it can't be working any miracles. For what it is worth, we took delivery of the 09 FX35 sans-dealerwash, took it home, washed and polished it. It looks perfect today. We'll see when the chips/scratches start showing up.

Every time a new, improved car comes out, folks with the older model come out to talk trash about how it's not a big deal that the new car has X, Y or Z features. Reality check... the new G37 coupe is going to be a better sporty coupe than the 2008 models. It would be noticeable in a day-to-day driving and especially noticeable in spirited driving. My favorite feature about my wife's new FX is the 7AT -- it locks the torque converter much more often, making the automatic tranny feel much more like a manual tranny, and eliminating much of the "free-spin" of the old 5AT. Plus we're cruising at 2k RPM at 80MPH+ on the highway.

Originally Posted by DdotRoq
A reminscence of the famous 2001 Skyline GTR would have been nice - Twin-Turbo All-wheel drive...

Here is MY Opinion for your sponge, please hold your beer and toast to my speech:

AWD? Unnecessary. I have never seen a day colder than 50 degrees in the past 3 years (in South FL - atleast as far as I recall) , so in reality, AWD is no win for me, just a nice competition for BMW. Live in Cali, Southern Texas, etc.? Don't bother with AWD, your wasting your time - unless you plan to go off-roading on a G37. Spare me your story, please.

7AT - The famous 7AT everyone is talking about. Let's take this into consideration, people. What is Infiniti's selling point for the 7AT? GAS MILEAGE. Is it a convenience? Sure it is. Lets analyze this carefully:

A 5AT Transmission vs. a 7AT Transmission does not typically mean better gas mileage. The gear ratio's are designed both for Gas mileage, while the the DS mode puts both transmissions in a state of "Race". Whether you have a 4-speed, 5-speed, 6-speed or 7-speed transmission, the gas mileage depends on your driving style. Did anyone account for the issue that it is a PROVEN FACT, a 7AT weighs more than a 5AT? They are identically designed using the same materials, making the 7AT ideally, heavier.

Speed? Remember the big boys from the past? Camaro Z28, Mustang GT, Shelby, Corvette, Trans-Am, etc.? 4AT or 4MT. 4-Speeds only, some vette's came in 3-speed. Care to take one to the track vs. our G? a 4AT GTO with a 454 will leave our G's crying.

I typically see the 7AT as a way of Infiniti progressing their line and creating a new selling poing in this recession we are in. They might even spread this 7AT to cover costs throughout all of Nissan's line. I came from (before the 335i) a 2005 G35 Coupe, and I did not have the doorless access, or whatever it is called. I thought BMW was innovative with this technology, then I find out the G37 had it.. then I found out the Altima had it.. I then felt it is obsolete technology my G35 should have had.

Scratch Shield paint... Another selling point. Don't literally do this, but imagine getting a pebble and throwing it at the G you currently own. Unless you have BO, which tends to be vulnerable to wind scratch, our G holds up extremely well! I cannot complain, our paint is very resistant as is. Do you really think you will pay $40k+ for crappy paint? Infiniti has been using this excellent paint for over 3 years, and slightly increase the quality of it (Just like they did on the 2008 G37's, notice the paint is much improved than that of a G35), BUT hold up, now it has a name. Scratch Shield. Notice - MARKETING EFFORT.

I'm not bashing Infiniti, but everyone on this site, feels either cheated or screwed by Infiniti, and this is not the case. I would feel cheated if.. (Sorry for you owners of the referenced), I bought a 2008 G35 Sedan with the new body, and here comes the 2009's with a new engine (G37), or worse, buying a 2007 G35 Coupe, and the 2008 G37's come out a week later. This is not the case.

The whole point of Infiniti doing slight changes is to encourage others to buy a NEW G37 opposed to a Used one, so Infiniti could keep their revenue flowing and continue to provide us with excellent vehicles, year after year.

I now sign out -

Dave
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scratchshield paint is kind of a bunch of B.S. in my opinion.

I inspected the paint in the sun on several brand new EX35s at my local dealerships (have been washed by dealer) and they all had visible swirls from the dealership swirling department (er, i mean, detailing). A few of them were dirty again so I know it had been awhile since they were washed.

If the scratchshield paint cannot even heal swirls, I'm not sure what the point is?

Anyone else have experience with this?
I personally can't say it's BS or not, BUT Mike from Riverside has had some very positive comments about it. As long as the scratch doesn't penetrate the clear coat, it will disappear over time. Heat is what makes the scratches disappear, so depending on conditions, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 week to heal itself. One thing that I don't like about the scratchshield paint is that you can't use clay or polish on it during the approximate 3 year life span. That would personally drive me crazy not being able to clay or polish my car for 3 years.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Keng

Can't Clay/Polish?? Thought it's no Touch Up paint only.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
mal_TX

Can't use clay or polish? I've never heard that. The only thing the dealership said that you can't do is use touch-up paint. Otherwise, it is to be treated like regular paint.

??
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Achilles

Can't use clay or polish? I've never heard that. The only thing the dealership said that you can't do is use touch-up paint. Otherwise, it is to be treated like regular paint.

??
Yep, same from what I've heard?? ^^
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Nope, you can't clay or polish whatsoever. You can use your regular wax or sealant, but that's it. There is a thread over on Driver about it that I will see if I can find.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Found it.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203442
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
mal_TX

Sorry, I'm highly skeptical of that information. He says the extreme heat of buffing will hurt the coat but then he says no claying as well? Does claying involve extreme heat? Then he also says that heat is what makes it heal at all.

Lastly, he claims it will heal swirls -- I've gone out of my way to find evidence of this and can't.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Keng

What does the EX manual says?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Sorry, I'm highly skeptical of that information. He says the extreme heat of buffing will hurt the coat but then he says no claying as well? Does claying involve extreme heat? Then he also says that heat is what makes it heal at all.

Lastly, he claims it will heal swirls -- I've gone out of my way to find evidence of this and can't.
Dunno bro. Like I said, I have no personal experience with it and am just going by what Mike has stated. His info has always proved reliable in the past so I have no immediate reason to doubt him.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
wanta2009

Now that we've seen the 09 order guide .... does that mean we're not gonna see the hardtop convertible til the 2010 model?

I was really hoping the AWD version would allow us to have the sport features, or add the performance tire package as an option. The perfect combo would have been for myself the 09 AWD with all the "sport features". Would have loved the spoiler, brakes and tires you get with the "S" model.

Oh well looks like the AWD version for me

For those that have driven the "S" model and non "S" models, is it a significantly less "sportier" drive without the sport tuned suspension?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
It would have been nice to have AWD available on the Sport model along with 4WAS.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by wanta2009
Now that we've seen the 09 order guide .... does that mean we're not gonna see the hardtop convertible til the 2010 model?

I was really hoping the AWD version would allow us to have the sport features, or add the performance tire package as an option. The perfect combo would have been for myself the 09 AWD with all the "sport features". Would have loved the spoiler, brakes and tires you get with the "S" model.

Oh well looks like the AWD version for me

For those that have driven the "S" model and non "S" models, is it a significantly less "sportier" drive without the sport tuned suspension?
The non-S is plenty sporty especially relative to every other car on the road. It's sportier than the Sedan and about the equivalent to or even slightly more sporty than the S model sedan. The S model coupe takes the sportiness to a slightly higher level. You would however notice the difference when you drivre an S and non S back to back.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 07-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 G37 Coupe Ordering Guide