Sponsored By:

Nice to drive with the moonroof open

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 31337
This is why BMW's are so coveted by their owners. It isn't about interior styling, or gadgets ... when it comes down to it, it's about the drive.
Originally Posted by chain492
well, bmw's really have no insteresting gadgets, the interior is so original and boring, but its so fast and drives like sex. the ride is the smoothest and the handling is really great. i don't even have a sport package...

so i think you said it backwards
Originally Posted by dean2900
You guy really need to quite drinking the kool aid from the worlds largest automaker. They make cars marked up 30% for their logo which alway seem to have huge reliability issues that other car companies could not get away with. The use tactics like this is a True German Muscle car and try to sell people that only the elite have BMW. Give me a break, everyone and their brother has BMW. I had to buy my wife one at one point. The fact that she could never drive it since it was in the shop half the time cured her of the issue.

BMW makes some good engines but they have blinded a lot of people with lies. Bimmer owners like to tell people that Lexus and Infiniti or all assembled in Mexico and that all BMWs are made in Germany. Does anyone want the picture of the big BMW plant in Greenville, SC?

Dean

First of all, 31337 I don't think people covet things that they own already--you should probably look up words that you don't know the meaning of before using them. Also, chain492, I think that you mean the BMW interiors are unoriginal (either that or you meant "unboring," and that would be wrong and make no sense).

Dean, I completely agree. Most of BMW's and Mercedes' current prestige exists intrinsically, not for any legitimate reason--just because it was there to begin with. Their popularity comes from their popularity--just like that retard paris hilton. BMW worked up this wonderful reputation that they just don't live up to any more, but because of the fact that they have that reputation to begin with it has lingered on as a misconception in many people's minds.

Also, 31337 while I most definitely can relate to the notion that it all comes down to the drive, that isn't really the case. Of course, with a lot of people like you and me, it is a huge factor, but it isn't the only factor. If it is, I would suggest getting a Lotus Elise instead of G37. Most of us, though, including the speed demons, value a car that is attractive (not that a Lotus is ugly but the G has a nicer look inside and out than a 3 series), comfortable, and choc full of features. On the track, a 335i might have a slight edge over the G37 (that is if it doesn't fall apart or explode like it tends to do sometimes), but essentially everyone agrees that the interior of the G37 is more attractive and has more and better features than the 3 series, which is defintely a big deal to almost everyone that is buying a car for anything other than racing. If the G37 were a BMW, no one would buy a 3-series.

Last edited by soldier9599; 07-21-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
dean2900

The thing that is annoying is the BMW owners seem to flood the other car forums as they are so tired of saying how elite they are in their own groups I get.

The thing is that my car payment is one days salary not counting my wife's income. I can afford much more expensive cars or I could even get a cheaper car that would go faster.

I picked the car that had the best bang for the buck without trying to over extend myself with unnedded excess expenses. Unlike some BMW owners, I do not like to pay 60% of my gross income or more on a car for a logo.

There are obnoxious owners of all cars but BMW does seem to have the most and the ones that like to go on other forums and think they are superior.

I encourage everyone to drive some BMW or own one at one time. I dont think you can appreciate the value of a car like the G37 until you get gouged on a overpriced vehicle and realize you paid too much.

Soldier,

Nice choice in colors!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 AM
xref

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys should try driving with the rear seats folded. You can really hear the exhaust.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by xref
You guys should try driving with the rear seats folded. You can really hear the exhaust.
The car reminds me a lot of the first 280Z I ever had when you fold the seats to give it that hatchback look.

It isnt really easy to do for me as I have a child seat back there and those things are pain to get in and out of the car but will give it a try one weekend.

Dean
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I have the moonroof open I tend to drive with one hand on the wheel and one holding down that noisy popup moonroof visor. I took it off at one point and the pressure noise was almost as annoying unless I had the windows down too.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by joeposter
When I have the moonroof open I tend to drive with one hand on the wheel and one holding down that noisy popup moonroof visor. I took it off at one point and the pressure noise was almost as annoying unless I had the windows down too.

That is pretty much the nature of the moon roof.

Honestly though in a lot of cars the moonroof is so small and lets so little air in that it is worthless.

I might go back to a convertible in three years when my lease expires if I can find a car I like in convertible.

Dean
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dean2900
I encourage everyone to drive some BMW or own one at one time. I dont think you can appreciate the value of a car like the G37 until you get gouged on a overpriced vehicle and realize you paid too much.
My last car was an X5
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend and I went for a spirited drive through the north GA mountains a couple weeks ago (he's got a new STi) and on the way up I had the radio on, the windows closed and the air on. It was alot of fun (even if the brakes did end up overheating) but on the way back I opened up the windows and sunroof and cut off the radio and air. Let me tell you, it was a whole different experience. The sound of both cars reverberating off of the mountain walls as we accelerated out of 2nd and 3rd gears was just heavenly. The G37 has one of the best exhaust notes of any car I've ever heard regardless of price....
Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
My friend and I went for a spirited drive through the north GA mountains a couple weeks ago (he's got a new STi) and on the way up I had the radio on, the windows closed and the air on. It was alot of fun (even if the brakes did end up overheating) but on the way back I opened up the windows and sunroof and cut off the radio and air. Let me tell you, it was a whole different experience. The sound of both cars reverberating off of the mountain walls as we accelerated out of 2nd and 3rd gears was just heavenly. The G37 has one of the best exhaust notes of any car I've ever heard regardless of price....
I can promise your friend didnt have the comfort experience in the sti but those things are ALL performance.

It is not my type of car but I do appreciate how much power and torque those things produce.

It is the sports car experience with the moonroof and windows down.

I am thinking the G37 convertible that is coming out would really be alot of fun.

Dean
Old 07-26-2008, 01:10 AM
g37at44

I owned an Audi A4. Then a BMW 330i. Then a Mercedes CLK 500 convertible. The G37 is by far the best bang for the buck. In many way it's just the best bang! Although the MB convertible was very nice, it was 20k+ more! And I did get bombed a few times! This is my first non-German car in about 20 years. I must say I love it!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by g37at44
I owned an Audi A4. Then a BMW 330i. Then a Mercedes CLK 500 convertible. The G37 is by far the best bang for the buck. In many way it's just the best bang! Although the MB convertible was very nice, it was 20k+ more! And I did get bombed a few times! This is my first non-German car in about 20 years. I must say I love it!
I do like riding in CLKs myself but it is not my type of car and I dont just dont see paying that much for the car.

I think the people who buy the Infiniti probablly have some similar characteristics such as:

1. They dont buy cars for emblem. They buy for looks, comfort, performance.

2. People look for the best bang for the buck.

3. People seem more responsiblel. They are not overburdening themself with huge car payments.

4. Dont buy media hype!

Dean