Sponsored By:

Started Learning to drive MT on my new G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dongsoo
so yea this is my first mt car and i live in SF. Today i was driving around and i had to go up *** hill and there was a SL500 behind me. haha i was freaking out cuz i didn't want to roll into him when i was at a stop light
hills are the best part about owning a 6mt!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 PM
AlterZgo

Best way to learn how to drive stick is to find the engagement point where the clutch starts to grab. To do this by feel, start in a parking lot with no cars around and DO NOT use the accelerator. Just gradually release the clutch - very slowly until you feel the car start to shudder and inch forward. This is the engagement point. When you feel this, PAUSE. This is critical! Just pause right at the point of engagement, then gradually ease off the clutch the rest of the way.

Practice getting your car started by just releasing the clutch. This will teach you exactly where the engagement point is. Once you have that figured out, add in a slight blip of throttle and you'll be driving a manual like a pro.

I have found the old advice about slowly releasing the clutch and while simultaneously stepping on the accelerator pedal to be completely erroneous. It doesn't matter how fast you release the clutch. All that matters is, when you get right to the engagement point, you must pause a bit, and give it gas at that point, before releasing the clutch the rest of the way. Once I figured that out, driving a stick was very easy and natural.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Best way to learn how to drive stick is to find the engagement point where the clutch starts to grab. To do this by feel, start in a parking lot with no cars around and DO NOT use the accelerator. Just gradually release the clutch - very slowly until you feel the car start to shudder and inch forward. This is the engagement point. When you feel this, PAUSE. This is critical! Just pause right at the point of engagement, then gradually ease off the clutch the rest of the way.

Practice getting your car started by just releasing the clutch. This will teach you exactly where the engagement point is. Once you have that figured out, add in a slight blip of throttle and you'll be driving a manual like a pro.

I have found the old advice about slowly releasing the clutch and while simultaneously stepping on the accelerator pedal to be completely erroneous. It doesn't matter how fast you release the clutch. All that matters is, when you get right to the engagement point, you must pause a bit, and give it gas at that point, before releasing the clutch the rest of the way. Once I figured that out, driving a stick was very easy and natural.
Great Advice! I have actually been using this technique and it has been the best method so far. Before the light turns green or I need to get out of first, i basically have the clutch released to the engagement point then add some gas then slowly release the clutch. Once I found this out, manual has been much easier. I was so frustrated at first when doing the "balance method" but now it is so fun to drive an MT.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
JZ39

Having test driven the G37 6MT, and having driven manuals all my life, I would say to not feel bad that it has taken you awhile to get used to it.

The clutch in the G37 is IMHO one of the worst I have ever felt. It was very light, had a very long travel and then caught abruptly at the end of the travel. Not good for smooth or fast shifts.

If I had a 37, I would have to get rid of that clutch first thing.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aliiin
not really, because i knew it'd be bad a** when i finally knew how to drive it

i started learning on a truck, then i got to move onto a 911 and nsx once i got the hang of it, boy was it fun.
damn from a truck to a 911 to an NSX....I would say that's progress...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by stylez09
Great Advice! I have actually been using this technique and it has been the best method so far. Before the light turns green or I need to get out of first, i basically have the clutch released to the engagement point then add some gas then slowly release the clutch. Once I found this out, manual has been much easier. I was so frustrated at first when doing the "balance method" but now it is so fun to drive an MT.

Next fun lesson - rev matching on downshifts.

This is one of the funnest things to do when driving stick and it also really preserves the life of your clutch and transmission and also makes you a smoother driver. Basically, when you're going to downshift into a lower gear, step on the clutch fully, then give the throttle a moderate blip to rev the engine up a couple thousand RPMs. Then quickly put the car into the lower gear and release the clutch.

When you downshift (say from 3rd to 2nd) the engine will rev at a higher RPM. So, basically, what you're doing is matching the higher revs of the engine to the lower gear ratio of the transmission.

Try it. It's fun and adds a sporty quality to the driving. It's also great when you're going around a corner at a fast pace and you want to downshift to a lower gear to accelerate quickly out of the turn.

3rd lesson will be heel-toe downshifting - but that can wait until after you've mastered rev-matched downshifts...

MAN I miss driving a stick. I keep kicking myself for buying an AT instead of a MT when I got my 08 G35 sedan.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
vINCe_Inc

and remember to complete your breaking before you attempt to rev match downshift... otherwise you'd be going waaaaay too fast into a turn. (unless you master heel toe rev match down shift)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
stylez09
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

Next fun lesson - rev matching on downshifts.

This is one of the funnest things to do when driving stick and it also really preserves the life of your clutch and transmission and also makes you a smoother driver. Basically, when you're going to downshift into a lower gear, step on the clutch fully, then give the throttle a moderate blip to rev the engine up a couple thousand RPMs. Then quickly put the car into the lower gear and release the clutch.

When you downshift (say from 3rd to 2nd) the engine will rev at a higher RPM. So, basically, what you're doing is matching the higher revs of the engine to the lower gear ratio of the transmission.

Try it. It's fun and adds a sporty quality to the driving. It's also great when you're going around a corner at a fast pace and you want to downshift to a lower gear to accelerate quickly out of the turn.

3rd lesson will be heel-toe downshifting - but that can wait until after you've mastered rev-matched downshifts...

MAN I miss driving a stick. I keep kicking myself for buying an AT instead of a MT when I got my 08 G35 sedan.
Now that I have cut down my on stalling I have been practicing using the exact technique you listed above. It definitely makes driving more fun. Quick question for everyone..when going over speed bumps, do you guys just leave it in first and push the clutch in then accelerate once over it or do you guys leave it in neutral then put it into second?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 PM
dongsoo

Originally Posted by stylez09
Now that I have cut down my on stalling I have been practicing using the exact technique you listed above. It definitely makes driving more fun. Quick question for everyone..when going over speed bumps, do you guys just leave it in first and push the clutch in then accelerate once over it or do you guys leave it in neutral then put it into second?

i put it in 2nd unless i feel like accelerating hard. i think there's no need to be in first. anyways i love rev matching. its so cool. i can't wait to get used to it cuz right now i have to think about it for like 2 sec b4 i do it haha
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 PM
g37inblue

dont know why anyone would get any type of infiniti in manual. They are rediculously annoying to drive. I guess maybe thats because my last car was a 3 series manual so thats why i think infiniti's are not that good manual wise.

I personally like the tiptronic more than the manual. Manual is just sooooooo annoying. maybe thats also because i have 6 years of driving manual under my belt ;p
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37inblue
dont know why anyone would get any type of infiniti in manual. They are rediculously annoying to drive. I guess maybe thats because my last car was a 3 series manual so thats why i think infiniti's are not that good manual wise.

I personally like the tiptronic more than the manual. Manual is just sooooooo annoying. maybe thats also because i have 6 years of driving manual under my belt ;p
i dont get it. you never had a infinit 6mt before but you come to a conclusion that their annoying?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
JonnyOzero3

(hehe...I just wanted an excuse to post that)
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
mal_TX

Yeah, my favorite feature of BMW manual transmissions is the Clutch Delay Valve.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
JonnyOzero3

^ Just read up on that...wow. It'd **** me off if my car had one. I can't believe so many bimmers have it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Gday
Banned

Well, the G35 has a history of having it clutch pedal stuck on the floor when trying to take off at 3k+ rpm..

The only neg. I can find is that the clutch engages way too late.

Quick Reply: Started Learning to drive MT on my new G37