Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driving up steep hill =(

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
kachinq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving up steep hill =(

well i have a g37 6mt and just wondering if you guys have experienced this before. last night i was going up a steep parking structure about 50 ft length and about 30-35 degree angle it was pretty steep. i kept dying out and in order to get it barely going id have to rev so high and burn my clutch PLUS it sounded so so so bad, sounded like my tranny wanted to die =( but is it me or does the g37 have a really hard time driving forward up and reversing on a hill? i mean ive driven stick for about 3 years and aint so bad with it(i had a 350z before). its most likely because this car weighs a ton or idk maybe i just suck in stick lol. has this happened to you guys before? and how bad is it to the tranny for this to happen?

thanks for reading =)

Last edited by kachinq; 06-23-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
bnguyen85

That is pretty steep, I never driven on that steep of an Incline but I have driven on some hilly streets and roads in Austin, Texas and never had a problem with the car dying. Our tranny is geared extremely low. So low that we can be going 30- 35mph in 6th gear. I can easily idle the car less than 5mph on those steep hills with just a little bit of clutch slippage.

However in your situation with a 45 degree slope is alot different. I know the only vehicle that can be parked sideways on that type of slope is a H1 Hummer, any other car would just flip over.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
kachinq

sorry not really 45 degree , more like 30-35. 45 degree is ridiculous haha but yeah it was pretty steep =P felt and sounded baddd on my tranny, all this clunking noise hope its not really permanently damaged :X
Old 06-23-2008, 01:25 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went up something similair and didnt have a problem nor sound bad either...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. When I took my car to Cali, I went to hollywood and drove up some of those step hills. Stopped in the middle of the hill and the car moved fine. Burned the clutch a little the first time though just so I wouldn't roll into the jerk that was on my a$$.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what gear were you in?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 AM
ucla bruin

What rpm did you have to rev up to? Maybe you just need some practice/getting used to the G?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
kachinq

i reved up to 3 k lol..the main problem was in reverse. i was in 1st going up it was fine only after i told 3 girls to get out of the back lol i think total curb weight on the first time going up was about 4500 lbs o.o

car itself about 3800 lbs <--fkn whale
+150 me
+150 passenger
+300 3 girls in back seat lol
+100 sub box

main thing was that it felt so weird driving up in forward and reverse having to step on the gas about 40-50% and only moving not even 3mph lol

Last edited by kachinq; 06-23-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
aznutx

haha embarrassing!

um 3k, with ur clutch completely released, and only going 3mph? no matter the incline. doesnt make sense.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

getting out of a parking structure and driving it on the streets at that angle is a bit different. On the street, you just gear in a go and on to second gear. In terms of the parking structure, you have to maintain control at minimal speed so you don't launch our of there like crazy. It could be stressful at times trying not to launch out of there and the same time don't want to slip back to far and hit the car behind you either.

I used to be a valet guy for ACE parking like, hotels, resturant etc. I was trying to get this Porche out of a steep incline from under groung parking structure and it kept stalling out on me. And every time when I attempt to get in first gear, the rev would be high and I would slip back at least 5-8 feet. I don't know how the manual clutch for our car feels, but the Porche had a very sticky clutch. It's either in or out, very little range for clutch burning, and I'm assuming that's how the G37 is.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
xref

i live in san francisco. it just takes some practice, once you get used to it, steep hills and inclines are nothing.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

So this was done in Reverse and not First gear? Looking at your last post it sounds like you had a problem in first as well. Reverse, I can understand that being a problem because I don't think reverse would be designed for power. It is not designed for that from what I know. First shouldn't be a problem though. The solution to your problem should be this:

Get Berk HFCs
+
Get an aftermarket Exhaust - Borla since it looks to have the most power
+
Get Injen CAI

= Problem solved.

Last edited by bboysteele; 06-23-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
gan78mao

i didnt have a problem!
ive drove out from DOWNTOWN LA apts and the entrance and exits are steep as hell!! u just need more practice feeling the G!!
hehe
Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by kachinq

+150 me
+150 passenger
+300 3 girls in back seat lol
+100 sub box
Sounds like good times.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
kachinq

Originally Posted by aznutx
haha embarrassing!

um 3k, with ur clutch completely released, and only going 3mph? no matter the incline. doesnt make sense.
actuallly the clutch wasnt, it was burning hahaha. Like...imagine going uphill from stop to go and going into first and having the clutch completly released, only way i could move it was to push the gas half way in and move 10+mph or die out, paralleling parking on steep incline going 10mph or die is pretty hard haha .sorry its pretty hard to explain if u dont know what i mean..

Originally Posted by bboysteele
So this was done in Reverse and not First gear? Looking at your last post it sounds like you had a problem in first as well. Reverse, I can understand that being a problem because I don't think reverse would be designed for power. It is not designed for that from what I know. First shouldn't be a problem though. The solution to your problem should be this:

Get Berk HFCs
+
Get an aftermarket Exhaust - Borla since it looks to have the most power
+
Get Injen CAI

= Problem solved.
Thats true. i need more power! but before all that i wanna get a good set of brand coils..if they ever come out anytime soon =P

Quick Reply: Driving up steep hill =(