Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driving up steep hill =(

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kachinq
well i have a g37 6mt and just wondering if you guys have experienced this before. last night i was going up a steep parking structure about 50 ft length and about 30-35 degree angle it was pretty steep. i kept dying out and in order to get it barely going id have to rev so high and burn my clutch PLUS it sounded so so so bad, sounded like my tranny wanted to die =( but is it me or does the g37 have a really hard time driving forward up and reversing on a hill? i mean ive driven stick for about 3 years and aint so bad with it(i had a 350z before). its most likely because this car weighs a ton or idk maybe i just suck in stick lol. has this happened to you guys before? and how bad is it to the tranny for this to happen?

thanks for reading =)
Driving stick for 3 years and having good technique are not inclusive.

You just need to modulate your clutch petal better; you shouldn't be burning the clutch or stalling out.

Use the e-brake to keep yourself from rolling backwards if you have to; that is actually the proper technique.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
kachinq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the info guys, just been driving the g37 for about 3 weeks still trying to get used to it.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once you do, it's funnnnnn.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Sounds to me like poor technique. There is no reason to be burning your clutch. Maintain over 2k as you release your clutch (don't stop the clutch when it's only partially engaged) and keep it constant all the way through until the clutch is completely engaged. Enough practice will make it so you can engage the clutch fairly quickly, without burning it, on any incline, and the car will accelerate as smooth as an automatic. The car is completely capable of going up this incline, you just have to work on technique as it becomes more difficult on steep inclines.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM
volnedan

Bro you're only 150lbs? Unless you're a 5'5'' jockey, eat something!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by soldier9599
Sounds to me like poor technique. There is no reason to be burning your clutch. Maintain over 2k as you release your clutch (don't stop the clutch when it's only partially engaged) and keep it constant all the way through until the clutch is completely engaged. Enough practice will make it so you can engage the clutch fairly quickly, without burning it, on any incline, and the car will accelerate as smooth as an automatic. The car is completely capable of going up this incline, you just have to work on technique as it becomes more difficult on steep inclines.
This isn't a Honda. With a G37, you can take off from idle RPM with no shudder/stalling, even on an incline.

When I demo the car, I completely skip first and second; most customers notice pretty quickly that "hey, first gear is pretty damn tall in this car"... before realizing that the car has so much low end torque that I'm actually starting in 3rd.

This works especially well with customers that are always sitting in traffic

I'll go do this on a 20 degree incline to make sure it's still possible... thats about the best I have close to the dealership.

(yes, my honda MUST have ~1600 rpms to start or it WILL lug....)
Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
This isn't a Honda. With a G37, you can take off from idle RPM with no shudder/stalling, even on an incline.
If you go into gear without giving the car any gas, it WILL stall; I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM
kachinq

When I demo the car, I completely skip first and second; most customers notice pretty quickly that "hey, first gear is pretty damn tall in this car"... before realizing that the car has so much low end torque that I'm actually starting in 3rd.

This works especially well with customers that are always sitting in traffic

I'll go do this on a 20 degree incline to make sure it's still possible... thats about the best I have close to the dealership.

(yes, my honda MUST have ~1600 rpms to start or it WILL lug....)
i think the g37 can move without applying gas on a flat road but you would be starting off really really slow. on an incline id think its near impossible to start without giving gas. all in all its just gay cause it feels like its all because of the weight of this car, why does it have to be so god damn heavy =|
Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^To make the car safe and luxurious. Safe because the side has extra bracing/material to help save your life in a side impact. The G35 was rated one of the top 3 safest vehicles in the since more people walk away from an accident alive. I think they want to keep this track record going and I am very OK with that. Luxurious so it has tons on sound dampening material to eliminate a lot of the road noise. Also, it has a lot of luxurious upgrades that add weight such as the front seats, HD, Nav, etc. Remember you bought a luxurious sports car or luxurious sports vehicle depending on your definition and not a Sports car. You could always buy a 370Z when it comes out but the Z cars are in the bottom 3 of cars where people walk away from crashes alive. Personally I like the feeling that if someone runs into me on my side, such as in the other thread that has that car crushed from the side, there is a good chance I will walk away from it.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^To make the car safe and luxurious. Safe because the side has extra bracing/material to help save your life in a side impact. The G35 was rated one of the top 3 safest vehicles in the since more people walk away from an accident alive. I think they want to keep this track record going and I am very OK with that. Luxurious so it has tons on sound dampening material to eliminate a lot of the road noise. Also, it has a lot of luxurious upgrades that add weight such as the front seats, HD, Nav, etc. Remember you bought a luxurious sports car or luxurious sports vehicle depending on your definition and not a Sports car. You could always buy a 370Z when it comes out but the Z cars are in the bottom 3 of cars where people walk away from crashes alive. Personally I like the feeling that if someone runs into me on my side, such as in the other thread that has that car crushed from the side, there is a good chance I will walk away from it.
Exactly. When I get in a head on collision with a 350z, who wins?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

i think the g37 can move without applying gas on a flat road but you would be starting off really really slow. on an incline id think its near impossible to start without giving gas. all in all its just gay cause it feels like its all because of the weight of this car, why does it have to be so god damn heavy =|
Are you thinking of an automatic? Stick shift put into gear+no gas+clutch engaged=stall in any car every time. I have done it with my G37 and with other cars; that's just the way it works.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 PM
prutkows

i've driven up a lot of steep hills/garages (similar to that one) and haven't had any problems. i drive a 5at though.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Mike

If you go into gear without giving the car any gas, it WILL stall; I don't know what you are talking about.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me.

I said taking off from Idle, not without gas.

In 1st gear, by the time you're going 3-4mph, your clutch should already be fully engaged; you're still giving the car gas. You're just letting the clutch start to grab before you give it a LOT of gas.

This will also prolong clutch life, and get you better MPG.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

I think you guys are misunderstanding me.

I said taking off from Idle, not without gas.

In 1st gear, by the time you're going 3-4mph, your clutch should already be fully engaged; you're still giving the car gas. You're just letting the clutch start to grab before you give it a LOT of gas.

This will also prolong clutch life, and get you better MPG.
Idle RPM is 650. If you give it any gas, it will be higher than that. Are you saying that as you engage the clutch you start to give it a little gas to maintain that RPM? Sure, that's just fine. But for a beginner that might be hard, I suggested trying to maintain 2k because he is bound to go over or under that, and if you use a higher RPM like 2k you won't stall out just because you haven't got the feel just right yet; you have leeway to lose RPM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Mike

Idle RPM is 650. If you give it any gas, it will be higher than that. Are you saying that as you engage the clutch you start to give it a little gas to maintain that RPM? Sure, that's just fine. But for a beginner that might be hard, I suggested trying to maintain 2k because he is bound to go over or under that, and if you use a higher RPM like 2k you won't stall out just because you haven't got the feel just right yet; you have leeway to lose RPM.
You got it

Yes, it is difficult for beginners, especially on the G's clutch, but practice makes perfect

Half our sales staff stalled the first time we drove the G37 6MT... 'wow the clutch is light.... CLUNK'

Quick Reply: Driving up steep hill =(