G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Problems from G35, that were never fixed for the G37?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems from G35, that were never fixed for the G37?

Hello,

I will probably be purchasing a G37 very soon, and I just wanted to see if some of the problems the G35 had were never fixed/changed for the G37. I understand the G37 is a new car, and shares no parts with the G35, but the problems have more to do with build and part quality than they do with the actual car.

Some of the problems that the G35 had, are....

1. Bose radio, not a bad radio, but it is also far from great. Was the Bose radio improved for the G37?

2. Rattles.... For those that have a G35, you know what I'm talking about, the car rattles and makes noise after every bump in the road. Does the G37 also have alot of interior rattle noise?

3. Tire "feathering", the G35's inner 1 inch of the front tires goes bald, and makes an annoying noise when driving. Did they change the camber on the 37 to avoid this problem?

4. Leather quality, the G35 seats are made with cheap leather that has been known to warp and crack, I see some threads about "dents" in the sport seat leater for the G37. Is this still a problem?

5. Oil burning. The G37 has a different motor, it has no oil burning issues correct?

6. 6MT transmission issues, the G35 is known to have a 5th gear grind, and the transmission needs to be replaced. Does the G37 also have this problem?

I know the G37 is a huge improvement over the G35, the exterior still needs to grow on me a little, but the interior is a huge upgrade. The problems I listed are not things you can find out by looking at the car on the show room floor, so I figured it would be best to ask people who already own the car.

Also does the G37 have any problems that the G35 did not have?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Hello,

I will probably be purchasing a G37 very soon, and I just wanted to see if some of the problems the G35 had were never fixed/changed for the G37. I understand the G37 is a new car, and shares no parts with the G35, but the problems have more to do with build and part quality than they do with the actual car.

1. Bose radio, not a bad radio, but it is also far from great. Was the Bose radio improved for the G37? Bose is Bose; it's never going to be great no matter the marketing hype. That being said, it is improved but still not great.

2. Rattles.... For those that have a G35, you know what I'm talking about, the car rattles and makes noise after every bump in the road. Does the G37 also have alot of interior rattle noise? Interior noise is minimal. No rattles, squeaks, etc in over 21K so far. A few owners have reported some sunroof noises, not mine.

3. Tire "feathering", the G35's inner 1 inch of the front tires goes bald, and makes an annoying noise when driving. Did they change the camber on the 37 to avoid this problem? None whatsoever. Still on OE Potenzas and wear is perfectly even. Road noise is greatly increasing as they wear down however, it's time for new tires. I dropped the car on Tanabe springs recently and will check it out on the new set of tires over the coming miles.

4. Leather quality, the G35 seats are made with cheap leather that has been known to warp and crack, I see some threads about "dents" in the sport seat leater for the G37. Is this still a problem? Many have seat issues with the leather, I haven't. I've had lots of seat time too. Most who have had issues had them from the start. I think the leather quality is pretty good, not great.

5. Oil burning. The G37 has a different motor, it has no oil burning issues correct? Not a drop. Whatever anyone else may tell you, don't change to synthetic oil at your first oil change. I will, but not until my free maintenance is over after 1 year.

6. 6MT transmission issues, the G35 is known to have a 5th gear grind, and the transmission needs to be replaced. Does the G37 also have this problem? No. For me shifting into 6th is sometimes a bit clunky, but not bad.

I know the G37 is a huge improvement over the G35, the exterior still needs to grow on me a little, but the interior is a huge upgrade. The problems I listed are not things you can find out by looking at the car on the show room floor, so I figured it would be best to ask people who already own the car.

Also does the G37 have any problems that the G35 did not have? Many have an issue with a very annoying rattle in the muffler. I'm one of the lucky ones. You're aware of the leather seat issue that seems to be hit or miss. I've had noting but a near perfect experience so those who have had worse luck may want to chime in with their complaints. The styling will grow on you. the interior is a zillion times improved. The level of refinement, both in driveability and style, has stepped up considerably. I hope you'll be as happy as I am.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 PM
TomG37

Thanks for answering all of my questions, I'm glad to see your still happy with the car after 21k miles!

Tom
Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
majin ssj eric

I'm at 12k miles already and have had none of the issues you asked about (no issues at all really). It seems to be a solid car so far....
Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
J.Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

1. Bose radio, not a bad radio, but it is also far from great. Was the Bose radio improved for the G37?
i dont even have bose so wouldnt be able to tell you
2. Rattles.... For those that have a G35, you know what I'm talking about, the car rattles and makes noise after every bump in the road. Does the G37 also have alot of interior rattle noise?
my tires have been wearing decently im at my second oil change 7500 miles
3. Tire "feathering", the G35's inner 1 inch of the front tires goes bald, and makes an annoying noise when driving. Did they change the camber on the 37 to avoid this problem?
even wear in the front and the rear i aso have 18's not sport 19's
4. Leather quality, the G35 seats are made with cheap leather that has been known to warp and crack, I see some threads about "dents" in the sport seat leater for the G37. Is this still a problem?
this is a shoot or a miss with this car i have non sport seats so this never affected me but i did get my jean's dye into the seats and my seats are now a tinge of blue lol i guess that one is my fault
5. Oil burning. The G37 has a different motor, it has no oil burning issues correct?
appied with the rev up engines (G35) and no oil burning at all. different motor no proble
6. 6MT transmission issues, the G35 is known to have a 5th gear grind, and the transmission needs to be replaced. Does the G37 also have this problem?
i drive a pu$$ymatic sorry

Also does the G37 have any problems that the G35 did not have?
many owners have had exhaust rattle and thats basicaly it
Old 06-21-2008, 02:16 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roger that on waiting to switch to syn.I will probably wait until the 3rd or 4th oil change so I will be at either 11 or 15k miles....

My moonroof makes a slight popping noise when driving up or down a steep grade/angle such as a ramp or driveway. Something to do with structural rigidity I believe.

Oil consumption is not an issue on the G37 - neither is tire feathering.

When the clutch is pushed in the tranny goes quiet and disengaged it makes a whirring noise. u can hear this in the garage pretty well and its just at Neutral/idle. Many say this is the nature of the beast but for some it got annoyingly loud
Old 06-21-2008, 03:45 PM
jdm_inspire

My beefs so far (1500 miles) ...

1) I hear a 'ping' sound sometimes in first (off launch) and sometimes from the 1st -> 2nd shift. Sound only heard when the windows are rolled down. No grinding since I put the clutch to the floor when I shift.

2) Driver's display unit -- why does it have to be orange? Couldn't they spring a little bit to match the unit that Acura has (ie white) to match the other major upgrades to the dash???

3) Coin-holder (or lack thereof) -- couldn't they have figured something out? I use the cup holder and have to rummage through that to find change. Remember -- I live in Canada so every denomination up to $2 is coins.

4) Trunk -- there's plastic that covers the run-off where the rear lights meet up and the gas shock that holds the trunk lid open. If you park under a tree, some of the leaves / tree-leavings get stuck in that small area. What a pain to clean! (I am very particular with my car and when I detail it)

5) Gas cap -- why does it have to be connected with plastic and I have to let it dangle? Couldn't they have made a lip so the gas cap can be clipped on while I fill up the tank? (Like that I had on my TL-S?)

6) Side-view mirror doesn't turn down when parallel parking -- this has to be the 'nicest' feature I had on my TL-S that isn't on my G. I loved the fact the passenger side-view mirror tilted down to help with parallel parking. I've already curbed my front rim because of the (lack) of this feature ...

----

I miss my TL-S ... but I fully anticipate a lot of fond memories with this G.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire

1) I hear a 'ping' sound sometimes in first (off launch) and sometimes from the 1st -> 2nd shift. Sound only heard when the windows are rolled down. No grinding since I put the clutch to the floor when I shift.

simple/easy warranty fix...
fix is below as per infiniti service tech:

"Found noise from rear drive shafts at contact points to rear hubs. Removed drive shafts and cleaned and lubed splines. Reassembled drive shafts and re torqued nuts to 177 Ft Lbs as per service manual. Noise Gone."
Old 06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
mal_TX

5) Gas cap -- why does it have to be connected with plastic and I have to let it dangle? Couldn't they have made a lip so the gas cap can be clipped on while I fill up the tank? (Like that I had on my TL-S?)
The gas cap "clips" onto the inside of the fuel filler lid. In other words, it DOES have a lip to clip onto. Have a look and if you really can't find it, I'm sure one of us will hook you up with a picture.

RWD FTW!!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Having driven a 2004 G35 coupe for four years I can give you my personal list of annoying items that are now fixed in the G37:

• The G37 is quieter and has a smoother ride.
• There’s little or no build up of front wheel brake dust that I had to clean off once a week in my G35.
• The rear tires used to wear prematurely in the center, but that seems to be gone in the G37.
• The hood now stays open via gas struts instead of having to prop it open with a metal bar.
• The dip stick is prominently in the front and is easy to insert and remove (Anyone who tired to check their oil in the G35 coupe knows what I’m talking about.).
• The pop-up nav screen that always looked like an after-thought is gone.
• The memory seat feature and power adjustments are a joy compared to having to dig under your thighs to access two buttons on the G35 inboard cushions, or scraping your knuckles trying to get at the other manual adjustments between the seats and doors.

The above, of course, does not include some technological improvements like an improved navigation system, 9.3GB hard disk, a voice recognition system that works, backup camera, XM traffic alerts, push button ignition, keyless entry, etc.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Igor911

2) Driver's display unit -- why does it have to be orange? Couldn't they spring a little bit to match the unit that Acura has (ie white) to match the other major upgrades to the dash???

3) Coin-holder (or lack thereof) -- couldn't they have figured something out? I use the cup holder and have to rummage through that to find change. Remember -- I live in Canada so every denomination up to $2 is coins.

4) Trunk -- there's plastic that covers the run-off where the rear lights meet up and the gas shock that holds the trunk lid open. If you park under a tree, some of the leaves / tree-leavings get stuck in that small area. What a pain to clean! (I am very particular with my car and when I detail it)

6) Side-view mirror doesn't turn down when parallel parking -- this has to be the 'nicest' feature I had on my TL-S that isn't on my G. I loved the fact the passenger side-view mirror tilted down to help with parallel parking. I've already curbed my front rim because of the (lack) of this feature ...

----

I also came from a 07 TL-S... As far as the rear view mirror tilt - u can buy a module to do that OR if you bought your G with a nav system, you'd have the parking guidance system thats pretty f*ckin cool if you asked me.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 PM
TomG37

Originally Posted by Chekov
• The dip stick is prominently in the front and is easy to insert and remove (Anyone who tired to check their oil in the G35 coupe knows what I’m talking about.

Yea, I already knew that was changed for the 37.

My G35 was turbo, and I would check the oil before every drive, I'm still confused as to why they put it in such a hard to reach area.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM
DGCIALP
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Igor911
I also came from a 07 TL-S... As far as the rear view mirror tilt - u can buy a module to do that OR if you bought your G with a nav system, you'd have the parking guidance system thats pretty f*ckin cool if you asked me.
I have a G with Nav. Please explain this "parking guidance system"; all I have is a rear view camera.
Size:  5.9 KB
Old 06-22-2008, 04:02 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Igor911
Are you talking about the rear-view camera???
Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Igor911

Originally Posted by Achilles
Are you talking about the rear-view camera???
yeah

Quick Reply: Problems from G35, that were never fixed for the G37?