G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

FOXNews.com report on G37 drifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
N50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy lord I haven't posted on this forum in a long time. Nice video! Voledan, I completely agree. For all of the G35 vs. G37 comparisons, complaints, etc...the G37 is just downright sexy. I love it. I just wish I saw more of them around where I live.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 PM
JonnyOzero3

cool. not that I want to be the one paying for that many tires. Still, I like how composed yet reactive the G looked. Good stuff.

Edit: Gee...I wonder if VDC is off. HA!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Video!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
lol cvt, have you ever tried to drift a g35 coupe?

speaking from plenty of experience, if you have tried it in a g35c and you feel this way, then you're doing something wrong in your g37.

i just seem to have a harder time gettingthe tail end to snap on a G37 compared to a 350Z or a G35c...maybe you can enlighten me on how you do it, because the way I drove a 350Z and G35c were almost identical.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 AM
prutkows

Originally Posted by volnedan
god d@mn i love this car. you tend to forget how bad@ss it looks cuz you're always on the inside of it. at least in my area, i don't see too many of them.

now i'm gonna go get into some trouble...
i know how you feel. very few around here too.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by cvt
i just seem to have a harder time gettingthe tail end to snap on a G37 compared to a 350Z or a G35c...maybe you can enlighten me on how you do it, because the way I drove a 350Z and G35c were almost identical.
Is your automatic or 6mt? I can't tell by your sig. If it's 5AT I doubt I can be of much help but if it's 6mt I'd be happy to compare notes
Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
cvt

Is your automatic or 6mt? I can't tell by your sig. If it's 5AT I doubt I can be of much help but if it's 6mt I'd be happy to compare notes
no different than any other rwd car i've driven.. in 2nd, turn the opposide a little, kick the lcutch out, power out turn the wheel the other diresction and control with steering and throttle from there....the Z does it effortlessly, the 35 isn't bad too, my 37 seems to understeer or spin out, for some reason i can't get it to catch sideways as easily as the other two. (my apologies go out to the people at willow springs who thought i was a drifter ***** trying these out..lol) how do you do it?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by cvt
no different than any other rwd car i've driven.. in 2nd, turn the opposide a little, kick the lcutch out, power out turn the wheel the other diresction and control with steering and throttle from there....the Z does it effortlessly, the 35 isn't bad too, my 37 seems to understeer or spin out, for some reason i can't get it to catch sideways as easily as the other two. (my apologies go out to the people at willow springs who thought i was a drifter ***** trying these out..lol) how do you do it?
From a stop, 1st gear is much easier but you're going to run into the redline pretty quick. 2nd gear is designed to be in the power band at 40mph+.

For 2nd gear, I get a roll going first... about 30-40mph, turn the car and apply heavy throttle once the car is loading up the outside tires. The rear slides out in a hurry, a quick flick of the wheel to about 180dg steering lock while staying on the throttle usually results in a nice controlled drift for me. Steering stays at 180 or so until the corner exit and then unwind while modulating the throttle to keep the nose going where I want it to. Be sure you try this on a corner w/ plenty of grass run-off on your first time.... Granted, I'm just having fun on corners, not trying to impress anyone with insane slip-angles or anything.

It sounds like you're trying to do a scandanavian flick to initiate oversteer -- I don't think that'll work as well in the G. You are likely to just completely spin out. You got that to work on a g35c? What kind of tires were on the g35c when you tried that vs. your g37?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 PM
cvt

From a stop, 1st gear is much easier but you're going to run into the redline pretty quick. 2nd gear is designed to be in the power band at 40mph+.
yes i find 1st gear hit the limiter really quick

For 2nd gear, I get a roll going first... about 30-40mph, turn the car and apply heavy throttle once the car is loading up the outside tires. The rear slides out in a hurry, a quick flick of the wheel to about 180dg steering lock while staying on the throttle usually results in a nice controlled drift for me. Steering stays at 180 or so until the corner exit and then unwind while modulating the throttle to keep the nose going where I want it to. Be sure you try this on a corner w/ plenty of grass run-off on your first time.... Granted, I'm just having fun on corners, not trying to impress anyone with insane slip-angles or anything.
hmm... that seems like it could work...next time i'm out to the track i'll try to bring her in a little gentler than trying to fling her into it. thanks for the tip!

It sounds like you're trying to do a scandanavian flick to initiate oversteer -- I don't think that'll work as well in the G. You are likely to just completely spin out. You got that to work on a g35c? What kind of tires were on the g35c when you tried that vs. your g37?
i've never heard that expression, seems naughty...lol. but yes i guess i was trying to flick the car to initiate oversteer. the G35c i drove i believe had the stock potenzas on...now that i think about it i'm trying to remember if he had aftermarket sways at the time (rear was adjusted to be stiffer)...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
SkyzDaL1m1T

doesnt matter i drive the auto and i am still very much able to do drifts easily
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by cvt
yes i find 1st gear hit the limiter really quick

hmm... that seems like it could work...next time i'm out to the track i'll try to bring her in a little gentler than trying to fling her into it. thanks for the tip!

i've never heard that expression, seems naughty...lol. but yes i guess i was trying to flick the car to initiate oversteer. the G35c i drove i believe had the stock potenzas on...now that i think about it i'm trying to remember if he had aftermarket sways at the time (rear was adjusted to be stiffer)...
I guess it doesn't help that I misspelled it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_flick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZorpZWUWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbr1K3uuOPk

More of a useful technique with AWD or FWD cars, IMO.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
nogoodname
Banned

cool video on there
Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
sanscu

Look out people, here comes a G without the VDC on. That vid was way cool dude. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 AM
RPF

Aahh...the Ford Puma. I've had a soft spot for that little car ever since I saw this commercial 11 or so years ago when I was in the UK doing my "backpacking across Europe after finishing college" thing. Having seen that commercial over there made seeing this commercial here a few years ago seem a little dissapointing...
Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N50
Holy lord I haven't posted on this forum in a long time. Nice video! Voledan, I completely agree. For all of the G35 vs. G37 comparisons, complaints, etc...the G37 is just downright sexy. I love it. I just wish I saw more of them around where I live.
you can see one all the time if you go out and buy one.