Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^are you being serious?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
PhilH930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upon starting I let it warm up for maybe 20 seconds. The higher rev at start up is probably the automatic choke, which isn’t really necessary in warmer weather. If I leave the car stationary, after a 1 min or so it will idle correctly, between 600 and 700rpm, however if I drive it after the 20 seconds, by the time I reverse off my drive it is fine, idling correctly. However, until the engine is up to running temperature I will not exceed 3500rpm, and that’s me being aggressive!

The cool down to me is BS. Besides wasting petrol, how can leaving a stationary car in 90 degree weather help it? There is zero air flow into the engine, so the fan will have to engage to cool the engine. Personally, the best way to cool it down in my mind is to stop the internal combustion!

I consider warm up more important than cool down.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
would have been great if our cars came with an indicator on the tech ala E46 M3 where it shows how well the motor is warmed up and at what rpms is safe to exceed....i thought this was a great feature for high rev engines.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Sunny81

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
when i finish driving, i just pop my hood and let all that hot **** air escape the engine bay. do not know if it works but ive been doing that ever since i have the car.
I'm no tech, but that seems to achieve the opposite results of what a cool down is intended to do. Think about it this way; if you run 5 miles, then stop all of a sudden and try to recover, you'll be in a lot more pain than if you paced way down to almost a walk and recovered that way. For your car, the cool down lets it cool itself down evenly without any rapid changes in temperature in various parts that are stressed during driving.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Nobara37

I live in a very hot climate, so warming up is not a big issue. I just wait until the RPM settles at 650rpm which is the normal idling speed according to te owners manual. This takes 2 minutes max.

However cool down is necessary only if you have driven hard and you plan to stop. I usualy turn of the AC and drive at a constant speed for about 5minutes. I don't feel that this is necessary for a non-turbo engine, but hey, anything that keeps me in the G for longer is good excuse for me.

I also read somewhere that if you want to cool your car's engine down more quickly, turn your fan to heat (Full blast), turn off the AC button. This will draw the hot air from the engine bay into the passenger compartment.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
PhilH930

Originally Posted by Nobara37
I also read somewhere that if you want to cool your car's engine down more quickly, turn your fan to heat (Full blast), turn off the AC button. This will draw the hot air from the engine bay into the passenger compartment.
This is true, although can be somewhat painful on a hot summers day. On two seperate occasions, two cars in England over heated on me and the only way I could bring the engine temp down was running the heat at max, with all the windows down etc. Neither place was it convenient for me to stop, and with this technique you could actually see the temperature gauge drop to normal safe/normal levels.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warm up for a minute or two. Feels weird driving the car on a cold start when the RPM's are high.

You're right. We took a road trip to Arizona once and it was at least 120 outside. Using the A/C was impossible since the car would overheat, so whenever the temperature gauge would reach the "H" (which would happen every 10 minutes or so), we'd blast the heater to cool the engine down.

Last edited by chasemyaccord; 06-18-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, every min. of Idol= 1/2 mile wasted. I was always told if you are using synthetic, the time it takes you to put your seatbelt on, take your sun glasses out of the case and put them on, and find a good song on your ipod. Than drive it out of your neighbor hood (at the speed limit and not flooring it) Your car is ready to go by the time you hit the freeway. I also live in California, so thats a big factor in that statement.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
pass1over

they put a device in cars to regulate and control warmup, its called a thermostat.
As long as you dont start it up then start redlining it right afterwards, no sitting and warmup is needed. Turn it on, put seatbelt on and drive off.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by Callaway
^^are you being serious?
lol, why would i be lying? is there anything wrong with my method?

Originally Posted by Sunny81
I'm no tech, but that seems to achieve the opposite results of what a cool down is intended to do. Think about it this way; if you run 5 miles, then stop all of a sudden and try to recover, you'll be in a lot more pain than if you paced way down to almost a walk and recovered that way. For your car, the cool down lets it cool itself down evenly without any rapid changes in temperature in various parts that are stressed during driving.
humans and cars are two different things.

i do not see anything being harmful with me popping the hood after i finish with driving it. it just let the hot air out of the engine bay.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
GiGGaplease

I live in a very hot climate, so warming up is not a big issue. I just wait until the RPM settles at 650rpm which is the normal idling speed according to te owners manual. This takes 2 minutes max.

However cool down is necessary only if you have driven hard and you plan to stop. I usualy turn of the AC and drive at a constant speed for about 5minutes. I don't feel that this is necessary for a non-turbo engine, but hey, anything that keeps me in the G for longer is good excuse for me.

i will try this now instead of popping the hood. however, i be sweating bullets after though.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM
pass1over

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
lol, why would i be lying? is there anything wrong with my method?

nope, none at all. I do the same thing when im done driving my mustang.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by pass1over
nope, none at all. I do the same thing when im done driving my mustang.
oh, i thought i was the only one doing this retarded method. oh well, no harm, no foul.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
pass1over

also gives me a chance to do a visual once-over of the engine after im done. But its a totally different animal than my G.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The only time I do a "cool down" is when I have been running the air for a while, I like to either turn the air off while I am pullin in or turn it off and wait like 30-60 seconds before shutting it off. I do this because on the G35 the AC would produce moisture that would get in the in cabin air filter and cause the car to have a mildew smell. If you let it run without the air on the engine heat would dry the moisture.

Quick Reply: Proper warm up and cool down for G37