G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

License Plate Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 AM
fazzyj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Caldwell, cops there are so ****. SAME thing happened to my brother in his car (we were also going to SA...) we were driving and some guy high beamed us to let us know of the cop, which there was about 5 seconds later. So my bro slowed down to 60 but the cop turned around and pulled us over. The tint was too dark, that was the WHOLE reason he pulled us over. He got the ticket for that, and also the cop asked for MY drivers license too even though I was a passenger. I think he thought I was illegal?

And nice mcabbas, you live in Clear Lake ?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
mcabbas1

Cool

no i live in sugar land, and clear lake had the one i wanted , but i did live in tht area like 4 years ago.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
HooperX

The dealer here in Austin didn't even ask if I wanted a front plate, just didn't put it on. Haven't had any trouble yet (3 months), but I've been considering having them install it. It seems like I'm just giving some cop an excuse to hastle me. I go back and forth on how bad it's going to look. Some pictures it doesn't look so bad, others it looks terrible. And it doesn't help that no one around here has one for me to see in person :-).
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
fazzyj

I would say don't get it, it looks much better without it. I wouldn't be too worried about being pulled over for it. If anything if you get pulled over for something else and they check they might add it to your ticket.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by HooperX
The dealer here in Austin didn't even ask if I wanted a front plate, just didn't put it on. Haven't had any trouble yet (3 months), but I've been considering having them install it. It seems like I'm just giving some cop an excuse to hastle me. I go back and forth on how bad it's going to look. Some pictures it doesn't look so bad, others it looks terrible. And it doesn't help that no one around here has one for me to see in person :-).
If you're going to get plates, get a custom plate. Many to options to choose. I agree that it gives police/DPS a reason to hassle you. It's also an instant $100 fine for no plates. You'll have to place them on your car and then get the court to waiver the fine but you'll still have to pay court costs.

It's up to you but my G will get custom plates. Not sure which though.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
HooperX

I guess what I'm concerned about is if I'm doing a bit over the speed limit, not having a plate might push them over the edge. Though from what I've heard from other guys at work is that they've only been hassled out in the country, and they've always gotten warnings for it.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Achilles

I guess what I'm concerned about is if I'm doing a bit over the speed limit, not having a plate might push them over the edge. Though from what I've heard from other guys at work is that they've only been hassled out in the country, and they've always gotten warnings for it.
I've never been hassled in the country, only in the city. And it was a fine.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
HooperX

Originally Posted by Achilles
If you're going to get plates, get a custom plate. Many to options to choose. I agree that it gives police/DPS a reason to hassle you. It's also an instant $100 fine for no plates. You'll have to place them on your car and then get the court to waiver the fine but you'll still have to pay court costs.

It's up to you but my G will get custom plates. Not sure which though.
I guess at least then it'd be something decent hanging over the grill. I should probably just stop obsessing about it and get it done. Stupid OCD :-).
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Achilles

I've never been hassled in the country, only in the city. And it was a fine. Any time you run into a check point (U-turn under an overpass) they'll check for all this BS. seat belts, both stickers, both plates, insurance. If they are trying to meet their quota, you're going to get a fine. Warnings don't count towards quotas.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
fazzyj

The thing is that if I want to remove it how would I got about filling those holes? I heard about bondo but I would have no clue how to do it, not to mention I wouldnt wanna mess up the paint on my bumper. Maybe theres places that do it?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
LAG37

i took off my front plates holder
then went to the dealer and asked them to plugg it for me
free of charge
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by fazzyj
The thing is that if I want to remove it how would I got about filling those holes? I heard about bondo but I would have no clue how to do it, not to mention I wouldnt wanna mess up the paint on my bumper. Maybe theres places that do it?
Any body shop will fill in the holes and repaint the bumper for you, but it'll cost you.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like BB said, any bodyshop can do it for you but it's not going to be cheap.

If you want to save some money and you consider yourself a pretty handy guy you can plastic weld them yourself then sand it down and send it to paint...but again, that's going to cost you the paint.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
Like BB said, any bodyshop can do it for you but it's not going to be cheap.

If you want to save some money and you consider yourself a pretty handy guy you can plastic weld them yourself then sand it down and send it to paint...but again, that's going to cost you the paint.
Do the good folks at Stillen have any R&D on a solution that would place the plate right in the center of the bumper for the G37 without holes?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Do the good folks at Stillen have any R&D on a solution that would place the plate right in the center of the bumper for the G37 without holes?
As of right now we don't have anything that would locate the license plate in the center of the bumper. We have been using the tow hook spots for a few years now on the Z's and G's. We don't really expect people to roll around with the brackets in at all times. We really designed for the "quick fix."

Let me look into what it would take to make a bracket that did not require any drilling and did not rub the paint causing any damage. Maybe something in the grill opening would work, but then of course airflow to the radiator will need to be considered.

Quick Reply: License Plate Problems