G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What's the best way to convince parents to get me 6MT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
if you REALLY want 6MT that bad, which you probably do, just take the hit and go finance it yourself with your own insurance, i know how stubborn parents can be, i'm guessing your parents are already in the mindset "we'll never buy 6MT, it's gonna be 5AT" so i guess you don't have anything you can really say to convince them, cut your losses, or take it the hard way
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ I think he got the 5AT already, too late for advise.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by aliiin
if you REALLY want 6MT that bad, which you probably do, just take the hit and go finance it yourself with your own insurance, i know how stubborn parents can be, i'm guessing your parents are already in the mindset "we'll never buy 6MT, it's gonna be 5AT" so i guess you don't have anything you can really say to convince them, cut your losses, or take it the hard way
That would cost so much it wouldn't be anywhere near being worth it.

I really don't see why your parents would be so concerned about the transmission... Have you ever driven stick before? I would never get sick of it; if anything I am far more likely to lose interest in the 5AT. Manual transmissions are also more reliable than automatics. Losing resale value is not at all their problem. Getting something with a lower resale value is no different from deciding to spend money on an option. All it is is an increase in the amount of money that you sacrifice for your option. If you are willing to sacrifice that difference in resale value to get the 6MT that is your prerogative no differently than it is to spend $550 on a spoiler.

Last edited by soldier9599; 06-14-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had very and i mean very little experience with a 6mt. still got the 6mt, it was very easy to learn on.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
chain492

Originally Posted by patel511
Convince parents to let you get the 6MT instead of the 5AT. They are ready to buy but only if it's a auto.... Indian parents are so up tight about this. The only reason I have to listen to them is because I don't have a credit score. otherwise i will be paying the payments, gas and insurance.. (Had a tough dy arguing with them today)
oo an indian g driver! (your name LOLOLOL)

but anyways if your parents are going to buy the car then it's their choice unless your paying for it. if they say no get over it or grow up b/c you cant buy your own car. thats just how it goes.

Last edited by chain492; 06-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:21 PM
nogoodname
Banned

but he's paying his parents for the car, it will just be in their name

read some of the thread!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Achilles

Guys I Think He Already Got The Car!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
nogoodname
Banned

^^ that's what i said

I think he got an IP 5AT
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
footdoc

I got my money on Male Gigalo?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
footdoc

I got my money on Male Gigalo?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:35 PM
chain492

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
but he's paying his parents for the car, it will just be in their name

read some of the thread!!!
but thats not buying HIS car
Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 PM
ObsidianGT

Are you guys really this dense? It's pretty obvious what happened.

He's 19, so there's NO finance company out there that will finance this guy, period. UNLESS he comes up with a massive chunk of down payment, which he probably doesn't have or he'd go get his own financing. He probably has just enough income to sustain the payments, but his expenses are probably close to nil (thanks Dad!), which also hints at the insurance situation (thanks again, Dad!).

Here's the dilemma: His parents didn't get into a position to where they could consider financing an Infiniti for their son by being idiots. They know one of two things;

1) their brilliant and responsible son goes through with the payments on his disgustingly beautiful car and parents are happy to pay the premium for the insurance (no pun intended) so that their responsible son can be "in good hands."

2) their idiot son screws up like they knew he would, and they end up stuck with the payments and responsibility of the car. Well, no payments equals no car. So the parents confiscate it as their own. Daddy dearest might want to take the hot Infiniti for a spin so lets make sure that the car is an automatic. That old highschool football injury (do Indians play football much?) makes it rough to drive a manual. Or, they have to sell it and don't want to be as bottom-up or don't want to wait long to sell it. They figure automatics sell faster than manual transmissions (which is true, but not in this particular case).

So it's either safeguard THEIR investment (and cleverly disguise it as extending a helping-hand to their good little boy), or, do what a smart ADULT PARENT would do and put the full burden of this ridiculously beautiful, and pricey car, in the hands of the potential moron that almost ALL teenage boys are (myself included--I crashed a 1996 Supra with 500 miles on it when I was 17.)

Come on, guys. Wake up. He's just whinging.

Last edited by ObsidianGT; 06-14-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 PM
patel511

Okay, okay here I am. I don't have the car yet. I can put a down payment of 25K if I really wanted but I am not gonna go against my parents wishes and i need that money for college. But they are swaying the other way slowly but surely...lol If I could have the insurance rate I would with my dad's account I would get it for sure. I got a quote of $583 for 6 months under my dad's account. I might get the auto but I think I will wait for the 09's
Old 06-15-2008, 12:21 AM
JonnyOzero3

Originally Posted by patel511
Okay, okay here I am. I don't have the car yet. I can put a down payment of 25K if I really wanted but I am not gonna go against my parents wishes and i need that money for college. But they are swaying the other way slowly but surely...lol If I could have the insurance rate I would with my dad's account I would get it for sure. I got a quote of $583 for 6 months under my dad's account. I might get the auto but I think I will wait for the 09's
This kid would have gotten a stick:
<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDkxODA3"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDkxODA3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/amp/indian-kid-skates-under-cars.html">Indian Kid Skates Under Cars</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>
Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyOzero3
This kid would have gotten a stick:
<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDkxODA3"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDkxODA3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/amp/indian-kid-skates-under-cars.html">Indian Kid Skates Under Cars</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>
that is effing crazy.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to convince parents to get me 6MT...