Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Top Gear - European G37 test

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top Gear - European G37 test

In the May issue of "Top Gear", a fantastic British car magazine, there is a preview road test of the G37. The article is not posted on-line, it seems to be only in the hard copy issue of the magazine. If I can figure out how to scan and post the entire pages from the article I will. They test a U.S. spec version of the G37 vs. the Audi A5. They generally liked it, a lot, commenting that it is a more satisfying sports car than the A5.

But what is most interesting are the changes planned for the European version of the G37:

"But if you like the engine noise from the Infiniti, you'll get fed up with the contribution from elsewhere: the grinding sounds from the gearbox in low gears, the vibes through the floor at the front, the wind noise. These things will, we're promised, be fixed for the European version, which will have harmonic dampers in the front subframe, deadening material in the floor, work on the gearbox, triple-seals around the windows, and even a quieter exhaust at low speed. We're driving the American version of the G37 - the Euro versions are still prototypes and they'll be changed a lot".

"The software on the front steering, and the rear, will be remapped for Europe so the set-up will be less nervous. The dampers will be tweaked to find more traction. The springs will be more supple".

"Infiniti is also planning changes to the cabin. Currently for instance the heated-seat switches are simple three-way rockers that could have (probably did) come out of an Eighties Nissan pick-up. For Europe, we'll get pop-up, damped, chromed-edge rotaries. The gloss on the leather will be changed (inexplicably, Americans favour this vinylesque gloss, while we are more taken by a silky sheen). The door liners will be all-new."

I don't know about anyone else, but I would have preferred these changes in the car I bought here in the U.S. I wonder if these changes will also be implemented on U.S. cars (and the 2008 cars were just beta-test, incompletely developed versions), or if Nissan really sees the U.S. as a "lower end" market than Europe, undeserving of such enhancements.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the thing that needs to be changed isnt even takin into consideration which is..

WEIGHT REDUCTION
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Mr_Ryte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick-L
I don't know about anyone else, but I would have preferred these changes in the car I bought here in the U.S. I wonder if these changes will also be implemented on U.S. cars (and the 2008 cars were just beta-test, incompletely developed versions), or if Nissan really sees the U.S. as a "lower end" market than Europe, undeserving of such enhancements.
I'd be willing to bet that these changes will show up in 2010.

This is one of the main reasons why I will NEVER buy a car in its first model year. I prefer to wait until they refresh/update the vehicle and work out all the little kinks that they missed the first time....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow Seems like alot... I wonder if we can get a couple of these changes on us...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like its gonna get even heavier!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
I'd be willing to bet that these changes will show up in 2010.

This is one of the main reasons why I will NEVER buy a car in its first model year. I prefer to wait until they refresh/update the vehicle and work out all the little kinks that they missed the first time....
I'm still waiting for the '09 for the same reason. My last two vehicles were first gen models and they SUCKED A$$!!!!! Never again!

Hopefully the '09 will improve on some of the current quirks that exist. If not, I'll get an '08 at a better price. Although, it would be sweet if some of the Euro versions upgrades make it but I'm not holding my breath.

THE EURO VERSION sounds sick!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
looks like its gonna get even heavier!
most definitily.. the only thing i can think of is 350hp in 010 to match the z
Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The Euro version is going to be more of a true GT.

Can we say E-spec parts!!!
There is going to be a big market here in the US for E-spec parts.

And yes, the American market is generally looked at as a lower end market than Europe for some reason.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
The Euro version is going to be more of a true GT.

Can we say E-spec parts!!!
There is going to be a big market here in the US for E-spec parts.

And yes, the American market is generally looked at as a lower end market than Europe for some reason.
I believe the us (americans) are not big buyers in performance. I know many different people from other nations like china,euro,germany, japan, and they all say its silly to buy high performing vehicles here. Theres simply no place to go fast at all. But when they go back they have many tuned out cars.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
I believe the us (americans) are not big buyers in performance. I know many different people from other nations like china,euro,germany, japan, and they all say its silly to buy high performing vehicles here. Theres simply no place to go fast at all. But when they go back they have many tuned out cars.
That's true... not many places to go fast here- especially in/ near metropolitan areas. Fortunately for me although I am in a metro area there is plenty of country side in just a 15 to 30 minute drive away.

But it would seem that Europe would have more trouble finding places to go fast than here.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
That's true... not many places to go fast here- especially in/ near metropolitan areas. Fortunately for me although I am in a metro area there is plenty of country side in just a 15 to 30 minute drive away.

But it would seem that Europe would have more trouble finding places to go fast than here.
Europe has MANY places for speed. TOO many countrysides in that part of the country, especially Germany (many mountainsides and autobahn) and France, not to mention Austria and Italy.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 PM
IP37

mudasucka!
crap like that makes me want to trade my car in and not buy another infiniti
Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by IP37
mudasucka!
crap like that makes me want to trade my car in and not buy another infiniti
Crap like what?? The Euro version?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Mr_Ryte

Wait a minute...if they tested a US-spec version; then that would imply that they HAVE NOT tested the 7AT right?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 AM
mal_TX

They tested a 6mt.

The euro car will cost more than Infiniti thinks we'd like to pay. Just wait till the pricing comes out and do a conversion from euro to US dollars and see how much it could cost you to buy one of those and it'll be obvious why they are getting upgrades.

I wonder if we'd all choose to pay +$5k for our cars if we got these niceties? Maybe this is the sort of thing a true Premium package should be for.

Quick Reply: Top Gear - European G37 test