Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

OMG My G37 does NOT have clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
lingtsui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG My G37 does NOT have clear coat

I dropped my red G at the collision center last week to get the bumper repainted. When I got it back today, the guy told me that my car DOES NOT have a clear coat. They were just as surprised as I was when they tried to buff a few other random scratches on my car and saw that the paint was coming off. My car was a dealership trade because they did not have any red ones here in Houston... and it came from Cali! They said its not uncommon for car there to be "different" because of all the new laws put in to keep it GREEN over there. But heck... someone should have told me. And he said he is not sure if a clear coat can be put on now ...depends on the paint and it is gonna be very expensive! They need to remove a lot of parts in order to clear coat the entire car. So all th guy at the dealership said is..."just have to take really good care of the car...wax it frequently because the paint will oxidize quicker"... and not to mention scratch easier! It made me so mad when I heard it... like I was short changed because my car did not come with a clear coat....and no one bothered to tell me!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
JDM

Originally Posted by lingtsui
I dropped my red G at the collision center last week to get the bumper repainted. When I got it back today, the guy told me that my car DOES NOT have a clear coat. They were just as surprised as I was when they tried to buff a few other random scratches on my car and saw that the paint was coming off. My car was a dealership trade because they did not have any red ones here in Houston... and it came from Cali! They said its not uncommon for car there to be "different" because of all the new laws put in to keep it GREEN over there. But heck... someone should have told me. And he said he is not sure if a clear coat can be put on now ...depends on the paint and it is gonna be very expensive! They need to remove a lot of parts in order to clear coat the entire car. So all th guy at the dealership said is..."just have to take really good care of the car...wax it frequently because the paint will oxidize quicker"... and not to mention scratch easier! It made me so mad when I heard it... like I was short changed because my car did not come with a clear coat....and no one bothered to tell me!

call your lawyer!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm suspicious.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
SkyzDaL1m1T

Lawyer Now!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
IP37

they probably burned through it with a rotary
Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
lingtsui

Originally Posted by SkyzDaL1m1T
Lawyer Now!!!!
On what basis? What would I sue for? I just called another dealership and they told me that the guy who claims there is no clear coat is an idiot because my car is shiny...if its only the base paint it would be dull and matte like a military humvee. Is that true? I don't know what to believe.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
lingtsui

Originally Posted by IP37
they probably burned through it with a rotary
You think? I got it detailed recently... right before I went to the collision center by my dealership!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I highly doubt you don't have a clear coat... I think your collision center guys are f-in morons. Infiniti uses a 2 stage paint system which is simply a layer of clear resin applied over the top of colored resin. As you know, the cars are produced in a line and done by robots so I highly doubt there was a glitch in the process with your car.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
lingtsui

Here are pictures I took today after I got back from the collision center.
Attached Thumbnails OMG My G37 does NOT have clear coat-car-1.jpg   OMG My G37 does NOT have clear coat-car-2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM
SkyzDaL1m1T

On what basis? What would I sue for? I just called another dealership and they told me that the guy who claims there is no clear coat is an idiot because my car is shiny...if its only the base paint it would be dull and matte like a military humvee. Is that true? I don't know what to believe.
my bad i rushed through your post and thought the collision center painted something for you and didnt do a clear coat on the exterior part or something and yeah in your pics your car does look clean an shiny
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the body shop is the one to blame, like they said before everything is automated, they determine on one day or a half day they are going to spray so many red and they'll do them all in a row so as not to change paint and to keep consitansy in the color, I think the inexperienced body shop guy buffed wrong and went through the clear. IMO is sounds like the body shop is trying to make Infiniti a scape goat for their error.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
IP37

ask this collision center idiot exactly what he used to buff the car. what kind of pad, blah blah..

have a reputable place test a different part of the car

or take it to your dealership.. have them meter the paint in another location and compare to where the idiot buffed

Last edited by IP37; 05-19-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackjack
I highly doubt you don't have a clear coat... I think your collision center guys are f-in morons. Infiniti uses a 2 stage paint system which is simply a layer of clear resin applied over the top of colored resin. As you know, the cars are produced in a line and done by robots so I highly doubt there was a glitch in the process with your car.
'Nuff said.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Arrowhead

Here are pictures I took today after I got back from the collision center.
Your car looks shiny and has clear coat on it to me
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
dummptyhummpty

Cars in California have clear coats...Sounds like the body shop messed up.

Quick Reply: OMG My G37 does NOT have clear coat