Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tattle tale box

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 AM
patel511

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tattle tale box

Does the G37 have a tattle tale black box that infiniti can check, whether you've been running the car harder than usual...(cough, cough)
DOMO
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure there is something... The ECU may even store some tattle tale data.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmmm... interesting
Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 AM
chain492

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait i dont get it T_T
Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 AM
patel511

^that means that the computer in the car registers how high you take the rpms and what speed you do and how many g's your car suffers on an average. If this data is too high or something has changed from factory settings then they can void your warranty
Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 AM
BiskitG37

I thought all the new cars had them, except for the really cheap cars
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
chungdae

Originally Posted by patel511
^that means that the computer in the car registers how high you take the rpms and what speed you do and how many g's your car suffers on an average. If this data is too high or something has changed from factory settings then they can void your warranty
I did not know that.. hypothetically speaking, if someone were to leave their car in second gear and drive around at 7200 RPM's until their engine blew the dealer would not cover you under warranty?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
nogoodname
Banned

I doubt there is one on the G37

But there is one on the GT-R, checks how many G's u take on turns, accelerations, braking...etc
Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
All newer car have some crash data preserved in the ECU that is retreivable. What is preserved varies form one manufacturer to the next. If it has airbags, there is crash data preserved.

GM, Ford, Chrysler: 5 to 8 seconds "pre crash" data is preserved on the Crash Data Recorder (CDR) portion of the ECU (and locked in the case of an airbag deployment) with data including vehicle speed, RPM, throttle position, and braking. Data "post crash" is recorded from .5 to 1.5 seconds. If there is no airbag deployment, the data will be overwritten after 250 cycles of the ingition being engaged or if it is superceded by another crash event with airbag deployment. If there is airbag deployment, the data will not be overwritten. You can buy a diagnostic tool to retrieve the data but if you don't know what you are doing, it is very easy to corrupt the data or erase it (particularly on Ford). The manufacturers or professional accident reconstructionists can retreive it safely.

Big trucks: Catepillar, Cummins, Detroit Deisel, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, and most every other engine manufacturer had much the same capability as passenger car's do with additional detail and it is easier to retrieve.

Imports: All over the map. Much of the same data is available in a crash event, but there is no tool for a consumer to buy to retrieve it. The huge majority of dealerships don't have this capability either. Should you desire the data, you'd have to send the ECU to the manufacturer for retrieval and preservation.

So in answer to what I think your concern is, no Infiniti doesn't have the technologhy to tell if you've been ******* your car out just by downloading ECU data at the dealership.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

I dont see where Infiniti, even if had the ability to see it... how could they void the warrenty? When you buy the car you buy the right to drive it how you choose? Seems like a simple concept... but what am I thinkin... Life isnt fair... lol
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^I know the new Bimmers have it so I assume most nicer new cars do.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I dont see where Infiniti, even if had the ability to see it... how could they void the warrenty? When you buy the car you buy the right to drive it how you choose? Seems like a simple concept... but what am I thinkin... Life isnt fair... lol
That's just not even close to being true. Think about it: If you are abusing something, anything, by using it in a way it's not designed to be used, it's not the manufacturer's fault so why should they pay for your stupidity? If you decided that you wanted to use deisel instead of gasoline, or use 80 w 90 gear oil in the engine, it it their fault that your car fails? No because you aren't using it in the way that it's built to safely and reliably operate. If I drive down the road at 80 MPH in third gear consistently, it will damage the car and it's not the fault of the design or construction of the car, it's because I'm an idiot. Infiniti has to protect themselves agaisnt stupidity by denying stuff like that.

Last edited by Black Betty; 05-15-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
dentalstud
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
That's just not even close to being true. Think about it: If you are abusing something, anything, by using it in a way it's not designed to be used, it's not the manufacturer's fault so why should they pay for your stupidity? If you decided that you wanted to use deisel instead of gasoline, or use 80 w 90 gear oil in the engine, it it their fault that your car fails? No because you aren't using it in the way that it's built to safely and reliably operate. If I drive down the road at 80 MPH in third gear consistently, it will damage the car and it's not the fault of the design or construction of the car, it's because I'm an idiot. Infiniti has to protect themselves agaisnt stupidity by denying stuff like that.

I don't completely disagree, but you should be safe going up to redline as many times as you want. That's why it's there, to protect the engine. That's like saying if you ever play your music at high volume then the speakers aren't warrantied. The max allowed should be a safe range, theoretically. My car is redlined probably 20 times on a 12 minute commute. But I don't camp out at redline in one gear. I just use each gear to its fullest potential when accellerating. That should be hunky dory as far as Infiniti's warranty coverage is concerned. If not, then they need to set the redline lower.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by dentalstud
I don't completely disagree, but you should be safe going up to redline as many times as you want. That's why it's there, to protect the engine. That's like saying if you ever play your music at high volume then the speakers aren't warrantied. The max allowed should be a safe range, theoretically. My car is redlined probably 20 times on a 12 minute commute. But I don't camp out at redline in one gear. I just use each gear to its fullest potential when accellerating. That should be hunky dory as far as Infiniti's warranty coverage is concerned. If not, then they need to set the redline lower.
I don't see anything wrong with the scenario you presented. Besides, as I said Infiniti ECUs don't record this data in a retrievable format unless a crash is involved. Then it takes a "snapshot" of the data just before and after impact and records it. It doesn't keep a running log of every time you abuse your car.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by Black Betty
wow.... never said anything about diesel or oil... never said cruising at 80 in 3rd...but...

If I want to drive my car hard and aggresively... they should fix it if it breaks... if not...why make a car that goes over 70mph then?
Good thing I have a family owned dealership I go to... they will fix anything... Guess Im lucky

Quick Reply: Tattle tale box