Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4 Wheel Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
thrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel Active Steering

I am real close to getting a new G37. I recently went to test drive one and requested to drive one with and without 4WAS, but unfortunatley they didn't have one with that option on the lot. I was impressed with the test drive, but really wanted to test the 4WAS out. My question is, what exactly does 4WAS do in general? What are the pros/cons? I asked the salesman, but he was not very informative. I know you guys will be!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
1HoTTG

Unless u gonna take your car to a truck like every other day u don't need it and it also makes the car heavier
Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has been discussed before, you hafta use search n00b....

Ill answer again though....

4WAS is not a super noticeable feature but in casual daily road warrior driving (swift lane changes, fast highway onramps, cornering etc.) you can feel the car slicing and turning a little more actively and effortlessly.

On the track many have noted that 4WAS got in the way of the car's natural characteristics and whatnot.

So all in all - assuming the cost of it and the added weight is not as issue to you - get the 4WAS if you want to feel the effects as a daily road warrior on city/highway roads...But if you want to have a natural track performer and would rather the car behave naturally when drifting, hard cornering, etc. then opt out perhaps.

It's not really worth the money IMO - I got it cause my car came fully loaded on the lot with it and I was not going to special order without it just to take it out. Besides I don't take the G to the track - and I won't more than 2-3x in its life.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by 1HoTTG
Unless u gonna take your car to a truck like every other day u don't need it and it also makes the car heavier
"...take your car to a truck like every other day"

What does that mean???
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by Achilles
"...take your car to a truck like every other day"

What does that mean???
i think he ment track but hes an idiot from what i can tell if your not going to a track every day and have the money get it for every day driving you can take corners and such quicker and switching lanes becomes easier but if you are going to track it and need predictability take the option out
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its all in the air.. Ive not seen proof either way... but there are some here that will prolly be in here soon to give there wack comments like 4WAS is for homos... or 4WAS is burning money... or some other ignorant response....

but for me... I think my cars handles great... I definitly felt a difference in a NON 4WAS and 4WAS car...

my opinion....
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Gyoza

My dealer talked me out of it. He told me someone with an M45 or Q45 (cant rememeber which one) slid on some ice and bumped a curb. The initial estimate was $500, but once they found out it had 4WAS, it went up to $3,000.

My opinion: more $, more weight, more to break....I say pass...
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
UltimateGee27

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4was is noticeable. i have it on my sedan and i like it.....if you got the extra $$$ and want better handling in emergency situations get it...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Achilles

Sounds like it's a personal preference. Drive both and choose which suits you better...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

ask those who have done canyon runs with us. 4was makes your car glide through the twisties. its worht every penny and pound
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I.P. Freely

I passed on it. Dealer told me it didn't make much of a difference and my G's fully loaded so I was ready to buy it. Plus I want to drop mine and I don't think you can do that with a 4WAS yet. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
thrash

Some very good to know info. I plan on getting it as an option now. Thanks for the feedback. The salesman definitely didn't know much about it.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
kellycm2

Noooo..... avoid 4WAS. It's just a gimick. Car manufacturers have been trying it for years and no one has ever made it work to any real significane. If it really made any difference in handling don't you think you would see at least some race cars with it. I cannot remember any off the top of my head. But this is one toy that is completely unnessecary and will only end up costing you more in the long run. I don't know why anyone would get it except to say they have it. With Infiniti's system it is not even true 4 wheel steer. All it does is slightly bump the wheel angle. The only time 4WAS has been impressive is on the (I think the years were 2006-2007) GM silverados/sierras/yukons. That system was set up as a true 4 wheel steering system and on such big vehicles it made a significant difference in tight areas because the rear wheels would actually turn up to 20 degrees I believe. Don't waste your time or you money.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
say you dont like it... say you think its not worth it... but its NOT a GIMMICK
Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
say you dont like it... say you think its not worth it... but its NOT a GIMMICK
^^
+1 Gimmick is harsh...