Sponsored By:

4 Wheel Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Gday
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 video from Nissan. RAS vs NON-RAS.
notice how the non-RAS car fish tails while swithcing lane at high speed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mxmqPpE6GXY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mxmqPpE6GXY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
obhaiv

the video was nice
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4WS: 2008 G37S vs. 1994 300ZX Turbo

At the risk of showing my age, my 1994 300ZX had 4WS and I really liked it then. Would have bought it this time, but picked out one on the lot a couple of weeks ago and only one with 4WS had every option and just did not want to spend that much.

I still have every manual of every car I have owned. Couple of facts for the curious about the 300ZX Turbo: 4WS (Officially called "Super HICAS 4WS" , 300HP @6400 rpm, 5 speed manual, 3474 lbs. 4WS was standard and only available on the Turbo.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by obhaiv
the video was nice
yep, notice how smooth that quick lane change was compared to the non-ras..
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM
bunluvsvw

I wanted the 4wheel steering also, but according to my dealer, they dont make them anymore, dunno if they were saying that to sell me the car they have in stock. Im guessing Infiniti's are having minor issues with their 4was and dont want to let ppl know about it. who cares if its expensive to fix after an accident, you guys talk like its coming out of your pocket, we all know its gonna be the insurance company paying for it anyways. lol
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
SirFer

I live way up on a mountain in NC. My sister's G35 Journey has 4WAS. My G37S does not... It's like 6 miles of pretty decent switchback twisties. I don't seem to notice too much of a difference. I mean obviously mine has the sport suspension and hers doesn't, and she's got the 5AT and I've got the 6MT, so it's kinda hard to say how much is 4WAS and how much is the different engine, transmission, and suspension. But I will say it's not like "whoa!" switching between the cars. I take all the turns faster in my car, partly because I'm a little more comfortable in my own car and the throttle tip-in on the G35, especially in DS mode, can get a little sketchy exiting corners sometimes. So basically what I'm saying, is that it might help out a little (I'd have to drive a G35 Journey 5AT to be able to really truly say for sure) but I don't think it's that big a deal. If they had 2 cars in the exact color you want and all the options you want and one had 4WAS and one didn't, I would say get the 4WAS, because from reading what others have said it doesn't hurt anything, only seems to help. But if you would have to make a concession as far as colors or features/options or wait longer just to get 4WAS, I'd just go without it.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
madmikeg37
Banned

Kepps the car VERY STABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS.

It also helps on conering, ramps, sweeping curves & U turns.

Drive both before you make a decision.

I have it & do notice it, I would not skip it.

Yes for track (who of us is gonna really go to the track with a 45 k car w/expensive rubber) It does fell weird if drifiting.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
37drift

Can someone confirm whether or not a G with 4WAS can be lowered? I just ordered mine with it, and I was hoping to lower the car slightly. I'm going to be bummed if I can't.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Alex77FL

Loving the 4WAS!

I upgraded from the Celica GTS (VERY light and nimble), and the heavier G outmaneuvers the shorter, lighter Celica in every way.

I haven't hit a highway reflector yet!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 37drift
Can someone confirm whether or not a G with 4WAS can be lowered? I just ordered mine with it, and I was hoping to lower the car slightly. I'm going to be bummed if I can't.
It can be slammed using KW coilovers
Old 10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
madmikeg37
Banned

Originally Posted by 37drift
Yes It can be lowered, I already confirmed before I bought mine in case I ever want a drop.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 PM
iprudence

Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
I wanted the 4wheel steering also, but according to my dealer, they dont make them anymore, dunno if they were saying that to sell me the car they have in stock. Im guessing Infiniti's are having minor issues with their 4was and dont want to let ppl know about it. who cares if its expensive to fix after an accident, you guys talk like its coming out of your pocket, we all know its gonna be the insurance company paying for it anyways. lol
Don't believe anything the stealership says! The End! Now I'm not saying they weren't actually right or wrong in this occasion, but I would never just "take their word for it".
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM
gogetter
Registered Member

i got it and i think its great !! wouldnt get one without it
Old 11-15-2008, 01:45 AM
batmobile

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Describe throttle steer to me. I am not familiar with the term but may be with the act itself...
To me when I hear throttle steer, I think about when I am driving and I keep my car in third or fourth to keep the rpm's up and when I hit a corner I push on the gas (not slame it but give it some juice) and then get off and use the engine to brake the car a bit comin out of the turn so my back end does not come out. It allows you to go faster into a corner, thru the corner and then keep traction when comin out of the apex. Basically on and off the throttle around corners for stability, so you dont have to use the brakes that will slow you down too much.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM
bayoubear
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kellycm2
Noooo..... avoid 4WAS. It's just a gimick. Car manufacturers have been trying it for years and no one has ever made it work to any real significane. If it really made any difference in handling don't you think you would see at least some race cars with it. I cannot remember any off the top of my head. But this is one toy that is completely unnessecary and will only end up costing you more in the long run. I don't know why anyone would get it except to say they have it. With Infiniti's system it is not even true 4 wheel steer. All it does is slightly bump the wheel angle. The only time 4WAS has been impressive is on the (I think the years were 2006-2007) GM silverados/sierras/yukons. That system was set up as a true 4 wheel steering system and on such big vehicles it made a significant difference in tight areas because the rear wheels would actually turn up to 20 degrees I believe. Don't waste your time or you money.
Since so much time has passed since you wrote, it should be known that the Porsche 911 Turbo comes with this as a performance advantage

Last edited by bayoubear; 07-20-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Active Steering