Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4 Wheel Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
ask those who have done canyon runs with us. 4was makes your car glide through the twisties. its worht every penny and pound
^^^^^^^^
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Fleagle

I ordered my car with 4WAS and I am glad I did.

Although it does feel less "natural", to me it feels sharper and more stable.

The more I get used to it, the more I like it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 AM
EightOneZero

Nissan had 4wheel steering in their cars for years. As far back as 1990, they know what they are doing. I think most try to keep costs down on their purchases, so naturally they will criticize an addtional feature that would have made their purchase price/monthly payments rise

I test drove a G without 4ws and one with 4ws. The difference was noticeable. I think its funny those saying "avoid 4ws because its better to not have it on the track." How many people here use their G37 as a full time race car on road courses? Exactly. You may do the occasional trackday once a year. But how does that justify avoiding a feature like 4ws, because it's not as "natural" (as you **** around the track 20 seconds off pace)? For everyday driving (which 99.9% of people on this site do with their G, most of the time) its a hell of a lot nicer to have
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EightOneZero
Nissan had 4wheel steering in their cars for years. As far back as 1990, they know what they are doing. I think most try to keep costs down on their purchases, so naturally they will criticize an addtional feature that would have made their purchase price/monthly payments rise

I test drove a G without 4ws and one with 4ws. The difference was noticeable. I think its funny those saying "avoid 4ws because its better to not have it on the track." How many people here use their G37 as a full time race car on road courses? Exactly. You may do the occasional trackday once a year. But how does that justify avoiding a feature like 4ws, because it's not as "natural" (as you **** around the track 20 seconds off pace)? For everyday driving (which 99.9% of people on this site do with their G, most of the time) its a hell of a lot nicer to have
agreed...Like I said before... people show there ignorance big time when they post stupid comments...

Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EightOneZero

I agree with you dude, i have 4was and as a casual daily driver I enjoy it and can feel the difference when driving in windy roads especially when you are doing about 20-30mph over the limit on windy roads- especially when i swerved out of my lane to avoid a blind senior citizen. but it's also true that it's not as natural and in addition to the extra cost it's also extra mechanical parts on your car that will of course just be one extra component that could give you problems post-warranty time. its still not necessary for everyone

It's an amenity at best and just an extra thing to worry about at worst. I wouldnt call it a TOTAL gimmick though. Though it is kinda sad that it only affects like 1 degree on the rear compared to like the 15-20 on some trucks/SUV's...I think like 3-5 degrees of turning would proportionately suit our type of sports coupe better. kinda like adaptive headlights - it kinda helps and is nice to know that you have and has braggin rights but lets be honest normal headlights light up the road just fine - how many of us drive through dark windy roads doing 80 all the time?

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 04-25-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
chungdae

when i went for a test drive with the 4was and the non i didn't feel a difference when i hit the corners relatively hard
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
If the G37 didn't weigh so much to begin with, I would have purchased it.
But I passed on it to avoid extra weight. For a non-track car that's the only disadvantage I can think of to it.
It is great in the twisties for daily driving- not that it makes you go any faster but for the daily driver it does inspire a little more confidence and quicker recovery (change of direction).
But if you know how to throttle steer effectively, you can still push the twisties with confidence w/o 4WAS.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 04-25-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
If the G37 didn't weigh so much to begin with, I would have purchased it.
But I passed on it to avoid extra weight. For a non-track car that's the only disadvantage I can think of to it.
It is great in the twisties for daily driving- not that it makes you go any faster but for the daily driver it does inspire a little more confidence and quicker recovery (change of direction).
But if you know how to throttle steer effectively, you can still push the twisties with confidence w/o 4WAS.
Describe throttle steer to me. I am not familiar with the term but may be with the act itself...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
slammin the gas to kick the rear out a lil ....which turns your car...
i think...lol
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Falcon124

There's a lot of talk here about the so-called weight disadvantage of the 4WAS, but does anybody know how much weight it actually adds? On the day that I bought mine I did have the chance to test drive G37 coupes with and without 4WAS and I did notice a rather substantial difference. I could have lived without it but like everything about driving this car, it simply adds to the "fun factor". And the Blue Ridge Parkway is so much more fun to drive now.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
thrash

^^I am also curious what the weight difference is as well.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard it was an extra 100lbs
Old 09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
obhaiv

I just picked up my G37S with Tech package and 4WAS.
Although the dealer told me that the car has 4WAS and charged me for it, I like to see physical evidence. Does anyone know how to check if the car has this feature and what it looks like.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by obhaiv
I just picked up my G37S with Tech package and 4WAS.
Although the dealer told me that the car has 4WAS and charged me for it, I like to see physical evidence. Does anyone know how to check if the car has this feature and what it looks like.
it would be pretty severe fraud for them to knowingly sell you a car without 4WAS and say that it has 4WAS, i doubt they would do that but if you'd like just call in your VIN number to an out of state dealer and ask if it was built with 4WAS, i THINK that works.

Also when you first turn the car on i THINK the 4WAS light flashes to show that it's ok and if you dont have 4WAS it probably wouldnt flash. Someone can verify that perhaps???
Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
obhaiv

The 4WAS light does come on when I turn the car on.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Active Steering