Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Park Profiling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM
prutkows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park Profiling

Anyone else profile the car owner you park next to based on the type of car they drive? I generally would prefer to park next to a nice new shiny benz than a '99 mustang.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
LazyD

Yep.

Its hard enough avoiding door dings without setting yourself up by parking next to someone who obviously doesn’t care about their car. So whenever there is not an empty spot waaayyyyy out back of the lot I always select carefully from the available spaces. I have been known to avoid certain places at certain times of day, like the grocery store, just so that I don't have to park in the lot while it is full.

BTW Has anyone else ever noticed how, often times, no matter how hard you try to park way away from everyone else, some dingleberry comes along and parks right next to you? Even when you were the only car in that section of the lot and there were TONS of other spaces... never seems to fail for me, can't figure that one out. They don't even leave an empty spot in between, they park right next to me even when there is plenty of room...

ok I am done whining... for now...

Last edited by LazyD; 04-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The only place I really go out of my way to park 'safely' is @ school in the parking garage. I'll go up another floor and park it where no one can hit me on the right, most of the time no one is a passenger. So far so good, except for the walk ; [
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyD
Yep.

Its hard enough avoiding door dings without setting yourself up by parking next to someone who obviously doesn’t care about their car. So whenever there is not an empty spot waaayyyyy out back of the lot I always select carefully from the available spaces. I have been known to avoid certain places at certain times of day, like the grocery store, just so that I don't have to park in the lot while it is full.

BTW Has anyone else ever noticed how, often times, no matter how hard you try to park way away from everyone else, some dingleberry comes along and parks right next to you? Even when you were the only car in that section of the lot and there were TONS of other spaces... never seems to fail for me, can't figure that one out. They don't even leave an empty spot in between, they park right next to me even when there is plenty of room...

In 100% agreement. I will not park next to a POS car no matter what. And it is odd that when I park way out in BFE to avoid anyone even having the chance of door dinging my car, I often return to find someone else parked right next to me, and seldom is it a nice car.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
In 100% agreement. I will not park next to a POS car no matter what. And it is odd that when I park way out in BFE to avoid anyone even having the chance of door dinging my car, I often return to find someone else parked right next to me, and seldom is it a nice car.
OMG I know, why is it that someone would go out of their way to park out of their way next to someone who parked out of THEIR way?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
prutkows

Originally Posted by LazyD
Yep.

I know exactly what you mean about people parking next to you even when you're all the way out in the middle of nowhere.. It happens to me almost everytime i go somewhere. Sometimes when i go somewhere and im forced to park between two cars i try to be in and out of the store as fast as possible. Often I'll come back to my car and see that I'm still between the same two cars as when i parked and i feel a little relieved knowing i couldnt possibly have gotten dinged by someones door
Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good tip is if you have to favor a side when parking between lines, park closer to the passenger side of the other vehicles. Obviously a driver has to get in to move the car but there's less of a chance they'll also have a passenger. But I have my go to spot in our work lot. It has a planter which had its tree removed. So I hug the curb, backed in.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
nogoodname
Banned

At my school, there is no good place to park, everywhere is a risk to park.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
At my school, there is no good place to park, everywhere is a risk to park.
And thus why 16 yr olds should not have G37s..lol, j/k

Real horror is parking in a Airport parking for 3+ days while on a trip. Fortunately my airport has great covered parking and I always try to get an end slot so I can park way over making it an impossibility for door ding.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
0to60

When you park aawwwaaayyyy from everyone and still someone parks next to you--they're just messin' with us. And it works-drives me crazy!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
General rule of thumb, Don't park near any vehicle!! If you have to, then park beside smaller ones. You can't judge people by the amount of money they have (ie. the car the drive). Most people (not all) drive what they drive because they had the money to buy it so probably they care less about the dings and stuff.

If the car is shiny and just detailed, now that's a different story. You know whoever drives a CLEAN car is car enthusiast!

Good luck!!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think we all do this.

i try to park next to intermediate curbs where landscaping exists. that way you've only got to deal with a "single-threat" meaning only one side of the car, whereas if you're in regular parking spots you've got a "double-threat" with a car on either side.

i do tend to look for more upscale/well kept vehicles to park next to hoping their owners are as protective as i am.

but as Ron White says, "That's profiling.. and that's wrong."
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i park super far i take 2 spots. some ahte me yes, but ohh well. at least my babies safer.

PArking by a nice car doesn't mean they don't got kids who don't care aboutr yours. I saw a nice BMWX5, mom was saying be careful be careful to the kid and BAMMMMM hit the car parked next to them. Often times people in nice cars lease them as well and don't care about dings etc. So they will just throw open the door BAM! see that do alll the time.

Lastly, if they got chips, sodas etc in their cars, they fat and they BAMMMM bAMMB BAMMM BAMMM the krap out of you to.

so in general i park far, and take 2 spaces.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you're a bit cynical, but that's not a bad thing.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

I'd be careful taking up multiple spaces, especially in a busy lot, you might be asking for trouble!

Quick Reply: Park Profiling