G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Complaints/Negatives about the G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
- Gas mileage: Especially since a faster 335i gets better mileage...
- Sound system: Not that it's a bad system, but I expected the Bose on Wheels system to be better. Doesn't even feel like there's a 10" woofer back there.
- Space: Trunk space is small and interior room (especially the back) is severely limited...but then again, I'm coming from a sedan.
- Interior door handles: Scratches too easily! Even in one of the reviews (RoadFly I think), the guy's door handle had a huge gash in it.
- Cup holders: Everyone probably agrees with this one...
- Steering wheel control: I think a couple others on the forum ran into this issue too, but on my Preset B stations, whenever I try to scroll from B2 to B3, it goes back to B1 instead (unless I do it really fast). I'll be taking the car into the dealership for that one.

There's probably a couple more I could squeeze in there if I really think about it. But hey, this list is nothing compared to my list of positives.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Anecdoter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Complaints

In addition to what others have mentioned:

1. The auto tranny shifts hard if you don't let the car fully warm up before driving it. By fully warm up, I mean that the temp gauge has to be about halfway up - which seems to be the normal operating temp. It takes about ten minutes to reach this temperature in 20 degree weather.

2. Cannot copy songs from an iPod to the hard drive.

3. Folding down the rear seats causes dimples in the leather where the rear seat belt receptacles push into the seats. These dents are impossible to remove and do not seem to go away - I've have had two for almost a month now.

4. The tire pressure monitor should tell you which tire is low and show the current pressure in each tire.

5. Auto-on headlights should be smart enough to not come on when you are pulling into your garage. This is a big deal because Xenon headlights, according to the Owner's manual, wear out more quickly if they are quickly turned on and then off. Similarly, the controls to turn on the headlights should be rearranged so that the auto headlights are the last option. Currently, you have to momentarily turn on the automatic headlights to manually turn on the parking lamps or the head lights.

6. The trunk lid opens in such a way that if you are not careful, snow will dump into the trunk if the lid is fully opened.

7. Better cold weather amenities, like heated washer fluid nozzles and a "snow" mode that limits torque (and wheelspin) when accelerating from a complete stop. The G35 sedan has the snow mode feature.

8. The Music Box software could be more intuitive - you have to edit album names using one command and edit other song information using another.

9. Sparse voice commands, even with the original command set. Since the Music Box software will not let you search your songs while the car is in motion, you should be able to tell it to play a certain album, artist or even song.

Thanks for letting me rant
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anecdoter
1. The auto tranny shifts hard if you don't let the car fully warm up before driving it. By fully warm up, I mean that the temp gauge has to be about halfway up - which seems to be the normal operating temp. It takes about ten minutes to reach this temperature in 20 degree weather.

Glad you mentioned this one. I thought it was just my car.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
LAG37

I love my G
no problems what so ever
im so happy with my car
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM
ELP_JC

Just test drove an M6 today. What really bothered me was the damn center armrest being too far back, as well as too low (along with the door's arm rest), even with the seat all the way down (felt like a low rider). That's probably a deal killer, especially since only local dealer wants MSRP.
I just can't understand why the hell Infiniti had to put that damn cup holder in that location, where you can't even shift with anything in there. Plus looks cheesy with that Civic-like sliding door. Should have at least been like on autos, but better yet, with no freaking cup holder.

Read all the complaints, and all seem valid. Was very surpsised to see most on a redesign; Nissan should know better.

Another complaint which is not really a problem. The same dash is in every freaking Nissan now; that's a new low in my book. Both Acura and Lexus have upgraded dashes not present on their more 'plebeyan' brands.

On the plus side, I liked how it drives, and the seats fit me perfectly, but with the bolsters all the way out, and I'm a skinny 155-lb guy. But that damn armrest issue took a lot of the fun away from me. Will have to take a much harder look at it. Need to drive the BMW and TL-S. The Lexus is out, since the shifter belongs to a Yugo, with that reverse ring (yikes!); they screwed up big time, plus they should have made the IS350 available in manual too. I'm even curious to drive the new Accord coupe V6, which is basically a TL at $10K less.
If the stupid center console and door armrest had been right, I probably wouldn't have looked any further. Later.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; 02-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

^^good luck with your search. I actually like the gated shifter on the Lexus.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Romeo Xray

The keyboard layout of the nav system, I wish the keys were set up like your typical computer keyboard.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
mlapbd

Originally Posted by Romeo Xray
The keyboard layout of the nav system, I wish the keys were set up like your typical computer keyboard.
Romeo -

You can fix this - go into settings and change it from alphabetical to QWERTY. Much better IMO.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mlapbd
Romeo -

You can fix this - go into settings and change it from alphabetical to QWERTY. Much better IMO.
Good idear!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Nismo86

Yeah I test drove my first G37 today and I forgot to look for the problems your guys explained. I did notice the drivers side has a few blind spots.

I love the way it drives and the seats fit me well for being a guy that has a pretty big back for my size.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mlapbd
Romeo -

really you can do that cool I am dooing that as soon as i get home on thursday. 31 days is a long time to be away from your loved one. Oh ya and i guess i miss my wife too. Cannot wait to drive the G again snow or no snow
Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Orbie

The car has been good to me so I don't have many complaints just some small picky things:

1. iPod interface needs to have a better way to select or scroll through songs. I have a couple of large playlists and it's a pain to scroll down to the bottom so I can listen to the newest songs I add to those lists. The fastest way I've found it the scroll wheel, the page up/down button on the touchscreen is ok but I hate leaving fingerprints on that thing.

2. Dimples left on the back seat after folding them down. I hate that, I thought it would fit perfectly into the seat bottom but I was wrong. The indents from the first and only time I've done it have finally gone away. My G35C didn't seem to have this issue.

3. TPMS should show a visual display of tire pressure on each tire, like on the M. I was disappointed to see they left this out.

Really though these things are not even a blip on the radar in comparison to the positives about this car. Someone should start a thread on that.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
0to60

My Top 10 complaints

1. Attracts unwanted dust
2. Splatters bugs on windshield when you go over 60 mph
3. Floor mats get wet when it rains
4. Sometimes the radio plays a really bad song
5. Have to fill it with gas every 300 miles
6. Forced to pay a toll on a tollroad
7. The interior feels hot when it's sunny outside and over 90 degrees
8. The interior feels cold when it's -20
9. Not much engine compartment room
10. Push button start can be confusing

Give me a break guys...some of the complaints on this thread are pretty lame. I love my G. I still get excited everytime I drive it!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

As lame as they may seem to be, I think it's good info for anyone considering a G37.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM
0to60

^^Duly noted Callaway...probably right. Besides, posts with some complaints generally end with praises too. I retract my whining...

Quick Reply: Complaints/Negatives about the G37