Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To S or not to S

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
RickB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To S or not to S

Still in next car search mode. In 05 it came down to the Acura TL, G35 or GTO and with all things considered I went with the TL. I don't regret my decision as the TL is a great car for 32K loaded with all but Nav. But my lease is up in July so I'm in research mode once again.

I like the G37, I can get VPP and of all the other cars I'm looking at right now, the G is in the lead. But I need a little insight as to the ride characteristics of the S compared to the non S. I've got to have an autobox, due to the bad knee and Detroit traffic. I like the paddle shift, but to get it, I'm pretty sure I have to go with the S setup to include stiffer suspension rate and 19's. I love the looks, but my concern is the ride.

My wife has a Scion TC (I know TL for me Scion for her, but she gets her bling on to compensate and my wedding ring cost 21 bucks on ebay), and when I drive it, the constant guh dunk, guh dunk, guh dunk annoys the heck out of me, and this is Detroit, not Charlotte so the roads are bad. I know I'm going to have to drive both and see, but just hoping some people are on this board that have come from more of a luxury riding car and chose between the S and non S model and how they rate the ride of the cars. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sport package definitely has a stiffer ride than a lot of cars. Test drove a 335, TL, Maxima and the non-sport G37. There is a noticeable difference that I would think could be a deal breaker for a lot of people looking for a more plush ride.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
override00

The non-sport g37 is stiff enough in my opinion. If you're even thinking about it, i say get the non sport version and drive it first ... because even that one might be a bit too stiff for you.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM
JMP0323

I Have A 08 Non Sport. The Ride Is Very Smooth. There Are MAny Reasons As To Why I Love The Non Sport But There Are Many Reasons As To Why I Would Love The Sport As Well (brakes,wheels,seats,paddles) But The Non Sport Is Just As Fun!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

The sport is not harsh at all and is well worth the dough. My winter car is an xB and rides like a jackrabbit truck. It's cheap, gets great gas mileage, goes like stink in snow and I drive 2 miles to my real car(train).

My AMG had a more harsh ride than the G. Personally, I would not buy this car in non-sport trim. Best of luck to you!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
dzine07

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
The sport package definitely has a stiffer ride than a lot of cars. Test drove a 335, TL, Maxima and the non-sport G37. There is a noticeable difference that I would think could be a deal breaker for a lot of people looking for a more plush ride.
agreed.

I have the S on my G and i love it. Granted i have two cars i can swap from whenever i feel like a plush ride but still, the stiff suspension could be cumbersome when your not in the mood. For example, i can never drink coffee in my G while driving to work because my commute is pretty bumpy for the most part. these nothern states have many neglected roads. detroit i can relate to because i used to live in the downtown area..

Bottom line. if the G would have been my daily driver i would have gone with the sedan or the FX. but its not. its just right for me. The suspension is noticibly stiff on bumpy roads but its tuned as such that on nicely paved roads you forget your going 90 because its so smooth and serene. almost lexus-like. also, the 19" rims dont help. theres a lot of vibration there but the performance you get in return is a great compromise.

Also, i did drive the sedan (my co-worker has it). the G without the S however didnt give me the opportunity to bash it on bumpy roads and wrap it around apexes...........yet. its up to you and what you want it for. if you have bad knees you should really practice getting in and out of the G a couple of times... i get aching knees just thinking about it. very difficult ingress egress in my opinion and im 23..

goodluck!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Just know that neither an S model or non-sport will ride like a Cadi. Seats, brakes, paddle shifters are worth a stiffer ride to me.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both Infiniti dealerships belong to the Suburban group in the greater Detroit area. There are lots of the 'non-sport' model on both lots, so take them for a spin. Depending on where you live, I'd say the one in Troy is a better 'feel' for the stiffness since I-75 in Troy is far worse condition than I-275/I-96 in Farmington Hills. Just an opinion.

Either way, there's plenty of power in the G37's engine (manual or auto). Just the suspension setup should be your limiting factor.

One other thing -- I doubt they'll let you drive the "S" model since the temps are really down and the summer tires don't grip that well in the cold. Furthermore, I'm not sure how clear the roads are since it snowed where I lived last night. Maybe wait until afternoon ... ?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I live in Sterling Heights bro. I went with the 6M/T which is obviously Sport and I thought Sport setup was definitely worth it. The better brakes, bigger wheels and tires....staggered wheels....sport suspension (which may be debatabedly better at handling lowering spring with less wear to suspension) besides I am only getting Tein H-techs....

Anyhow if you're in Metro Detroit wherabouts are you and after you get your G we should cruise Woodward or meetup sometime in the Detroit summertime haha!!!

Infiniti in my experience was a little more snotty in Troy - I take mine there for service type in Troy since I live closer but I bought my G over in Novi. They gave me a better price and had the Black 6MT Fully loaded that I wanted on the lot so I didnt have to order.

Joe

PS
However based on your needs and concerns with the Detroit roads - I have a gut feeling the non Sport may be for you if you want to retain a more plush ride - then non Sport will be like a "Sport" to you in perspective.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-24-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
jab23

I was pleasantly surprised at the ride with the 19s. It's firm, but not harsh and the roads around me are terrible. I say get it!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
smoothieboy
Registered Member

if you go with the g, definitely get the sport option!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
G37MA

I think the S is firm but one of the smoothest and luxurious ride I have felt. Go with the Sport, you may regret it. But if your using this strictly as nice transportation the non sport may be you. I have to say I never test drove either before purchasing.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 PM
RickB

Thanks for all the input guys. I live in Warren, and I drive all over the Metro area for my job. I'd be getting the VPP so I think that pricing is set, so it's more about service then price, unless I'm missing something.

I like the TL's ride. But my vehicle history include CBR's, Mustangs, Eclipse Turbo, then the Acura. It is a compromise. The content for dollar is excellent in the base TL, but the new TL-S is out of line price wise IMO. I'm willing to get a little firmer than the TL, but not back to my 89 Mustang GT! Boy that 5.0, flowmasters and 5-speed was fun though! So, I guess the obvious is in order, and I'll wait until it's dry pavement again before taking them out. I'll probably go to the Troy one first because it's closer, and if they are jerks, I'll just waste a lot of their time, and buy from some other guy giving him the easiest sale of their life.

By the way for the MI folks, how has life been in the G with the snow? Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's gonna be your DD, definitely invest in some cheap rims and snow tires. The S trim comes with 19" rims with summer tires. They are not very good in snow. Trust me on that one.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
DetroitG37Joe

The Summer Bridgestone Potenzas on my Sport model G have been horrible in the Metro Detroit snow. You really have to baby it along and just from SUPER conservative throttle the back will fishtail out. If you truly want to use it in the winter I would get the Blizzak Snow tires with some cheap replica 18s or something from Tirerack and put some bags of weight in the trunk on top of it. The tread on them is better in the snow and the compoud doesn't get all stiffas$ed in under 40 Degree weather.....As of recent I have had trouble getting out of my neighbourhood in the G. I just slowly proceed to the salted main road but in a situation where I need some power or duck and dodge another slipping vehicle while in the snow - Id probably be screwed...

Where in Warren are you? Im near 18 & Dequindre.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.