Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To S or not to S

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The ride in the S is still very compliant. It rides better than almost any other car that I have owned actually - although most of those have also been sport coupes. It fact it rides better than my 2005 Pathfinder. Now over bumps or rough roads it can be a little jarring but nothing extreme. The roads in my area are smooth for the most part but I can't understand why folks say that the ride in the S is too stiff. I think that many people and reviewers are just repeating what they have heard others say.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
biggest complaint about the S is the low profile tires. Whenever going over roads that are grooved (from wear over time I guess) my G feels extremely unstable. Anyone else feel this?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
yeah I get that too. But I got that in my previous coupe as well with new rubber. Once it wears down a bit it is not quite as bad.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 AM
surpriseitsg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose the non S.. mainly because of the smoother ride (I'm not into the 'sporty feel') and also the tires, which I can rotate and switch among each other since they are all 18' inches.. but the S looks a bit nicer
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickB
12 & Van ****. Well I won't be buying until July more than likely, so it will give me a little while to save up for a winter tire setup.
LOL the system bleeped out Van D Y K E because it read it as the slur. haha....so ur real close to the GM Tech Center, my Dad goes there for work sometimes. Yeah get winter tires you can prob get a better deal on em now in the summer and just get em early before winter comes and everyone's jumpin on em.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
biggest complaint about the S is the low profile tires. Whenever going over roads that are grooved (from wear over time I guess) my G feels extremely unstable. Anyone else feel this?
yeah, those tires sucks. i was fishtailing a bit when i was at a traffic light about to go. was at like 2k when the rear just fishtailed. this was like my 2nd week of having the car and i wasnt even pushing it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
anotha

I based my decision more on the look...I was drawn more towards the non sport bumper than the other
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 PM
volnedan

I work at the GM tech center, but live in Northville so I have to deal with traffic on I-696 all the way down to I-275 and M-14. Its not as bad heading east bound, but i do understand your point in the traffic. The way i look at it, you're already p*ssed off in traffic, whats the difference if you have manual or not? At least you get to enjoy it the other 80% of your drive.

As far as the bumpy roads, I think the Sport setup in the G37 is better than my previous 04 and 06 G35 coupes. The ride is very compliant over bumps, but it will jar you if you are in a turn. I've lived here my whole life and drive pretty much all over this pothole filled city, and I can vouch for the ride.

For dealerships, its a pick em. Both are suburban, and both are pretty friendly now. When I got my first G in 04 I was 23 and fresh outta college, so they gave me hard time for looking too young. But shopping for the G37 was a different story. Both places are very accomdating.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:47 AM
RickB

Well, I did end up buying a Base G37 and am not dissapointed. I hate to settle and at first I really felt I was settling and that we could afford the 436/ mnth for the S. After understanding I could still have the G and remove a very large "bullet" from my wifes gunbelt, by decreasing my existing car payment, when it was obvious that the MPG's were going down and having to buy premium in this high fuel cost environment, and having insurance go up 20 bucks per month, going with the Base for 350/ mnth (VPP and motivated dealer) with 2000 dod made my wife as excited about the car as I was.

There is no doubt the S is the car to have. The wheels look sweeter, seats are better, facias etc. But my driveway doesn't have an S sitting next to it to compare. That's what many don't realize. After you get the thing home, you just don't see many on the street, and even with the Base, and the OEM 18's, you will have a perma-grin. The stock 18's are really growing on me. Again if it's sitting by one with the 19's, yeah, it's a downgrade, but I'm about a month into ownership, and am thrilled as all get out!