G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To S or not to S

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the beast out a couple weeks ago when the roads cleared up with warm weather(relative term). It was still below freezing and the Potenzas scared the crap out of me. DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR WITH SUMMER TIRES IN THE WINTER. You will be sorry if you do.
It's back sleeping in the garage until late Feb/March.

Oh, yeah....like I said before, get the Sport option
Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR WITH SUMMER TIRES IN THE WINTER. You will be sorry if you do.
Man CHI-TOWN, no offense, you're a senior member here and I've come to respect your posts, but come on man, don't you think what you said is an obvious given? I'm still amazed that people will even attempt to drive in the WINTER with SUMMER tires, and then have the gall to complain about the how bad they are...like they expected them to be better or something.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^I was kind of responding to DetriotJoe who appears to be avoiding the "obvious"

FYI- MY G is garaged for the winter, with the exception of a day here and there to keep the fluids perking and only on dry roads(no snow). The cold, as you know, is the enemy. Now back to that all important S vs non-S discussion!

Last edited by CHI-TOWN G37; 01-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
yahookendogg

i think sport package is a must. you get so many things, like 19" wheels, sport seats, sport front bumper, etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
RickB

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
The Summer Bridgestone Potenzas on my Sport model G have been horrible in the Metro Detroit snow. You really have to baby it along and just from SUPER conservative throttle the back will fishtail out. If you truly want to use it in the winter I would get the Blizzak Snow tires with some cheap replica 18s or something from Tirerack and put some bags of weight in the trunk on top of it. The tread on them is better in the snow and the compoud doesn't get all stiffas$ed in under 40 Degree weather.....As of recent I have had trouble getting out of my neighbourhood in the G. I just slowly proceed to the salted main road but in a situation where I need some power or duck and dodge another slipping vehicle while in the snow - Id probably be screwed...

Where in Warren are you? Im near 18 & Dequindre.
12 & Van ****. Well I won't be buying until July more than likely, so it will give me a little while to save up for a winter tire setup.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
RickB

I guess they edited the name of my crossroad because it was misconstrued as a word describing a girl who likes girls.... But if you know the area, you know the road!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As others have said you get a lot for the cost of the sport package. As far as ride, I'm planning to buy an active dampening coilover system like Tanabe's to address both the lowering and offer a means to adjust ride quality.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 AM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by RickB
I like the paddle shift, but to get it, I'm pretty sure I have to go with the S setup to include stiffer suspension rate and 19's. I love the looks, but my concern is the ride.
If you really want the paddle shifters on a non-sport, they are a very easy $200 bolt-on operation. A bunch of us G35 owners have installed OEM sport paddle shifters on our non-sports:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193619

They are the exact same paddle shifters that come on a sport and behave exactly the same way. All G35/37s come pre-wired for paddle shifters so they're super easy to install.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
ronin1099

My previous car was fully loaded G35 Coupe Automatic (2005), with sport tuned suspension. Now I have G37 with Sport option.

If I would compare the two, I would say the G37 is no where near as stiff as G35 was. I used to hate driving G35 over some bumps but in the new G37, these bumps are not noticeable as much. Big improvement.

In my opinion, get the Sport package, seats are awesome, paddle shifters are cool and the wheels look great. Not mentioning the breaks and the gorgeous front bumper.

Bottom line, if you are buying a G37, you are buying a sports car so sport option in my opinion should be included otherwise go for a sedan.

Last edited by ronin1099; 01-25-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM
RickB

Well, I went to the dealership in Troy this afternoon. Scrubbed out in jeans, ballcap and Cabela's hooded sweatshirt and still was given great service. I didn't drive the G as I didn't have the time. I just wanted to look at the S vs non S. With the VPP it won't be that much more to add the sport pkg. I definately like the looks better. The seats the steering wheel stitching and the facias are all adding to the deal. It actually looks like there is quite a bit of sidewall for 19's, which should help the ride some.

I have a question about a winter tire setup. Some people who have OEM 19's go to 18's for their winter setup for better grip and better price. The brakes are so big though, is this possible on the G? If anyones bought winters for their sport G, let me know what you got and if possible what it cost.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by RickB
Well, I went to the dealership in Troy this afternoon. Scrubbed out in jeans, ballcap and Cabela's hooded sweatshirt and still was given great service. I didn't drive the G as I didn't have the time. I just wanted to look at the S vs non S. With the VPP it won't be that much more to add the sport pkg. I definately like the looks better. The seats the steering wheel stitching and the facias are all adding to the deal. It actually looks like there is quite a bit of sidewall for 19's, which should help the ride some.

I have a question about a winter tire setup. Some people who have OEM 19's go to 18's for their winter setup for better grip and better price. The brakes are so big though, is this possible on the G? If anyones bought winters for their sport G, let me know what you got and if possible what it cost.
This topic has been covered a lot man, just go to the wheels & tires section of the forum, here are three threads just from a quick glance, short answer is many many people have done this including myself:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/176826-bought-my-snow-tire-wheel-package.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/175552-my-tirerack-com-pricing.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/174844-tirerack-com-winter-tires-for-boston.html
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM
G-Pimp

Originally Posted by ronin1099
Bottom line, if you are buying a G37, you are buying a sports car so sport option in my opinion should be included otherwise go for a sedan.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:48 AM
rl982

I have a non S, because I don't care much for the suspension or the active steer. I'm not really a drifter. I would instead, get the tire package to put 245's in the rear. That will definitely give your car a better go on the take off and look a lot sportier, minus the jumpy ride.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^there's a tire package? 4WAS is not part of the sports package BTW. It's a completely different option.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine not buying a car because of a stiff ride. The ride on my S doesn't bother me at all....