Sponsored By:

Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
I just get fed up with people preaching about how you should never drive your sports car in a sporty fashion. It makes no sense to buy this car and drive it like a Corolla. Everyone takes risks, every time they drive. It is about knowing your limits, your surroundings, and understanding the risk you are taking.

Example: A young woman down the street from me drives on her Mitsubishi Eclipse's spare tire (tiny donut type) about 50% of the time. I don't know where she drives but I drive by her car every day and there's a spare on it more often than not. I also end up behind her on the highway on the way home pretty often. I watched her wear that spare down to completely bald. She's riding on a tiny little patch of smooth rubber on one rear tire. Does that stop her from going 80mph on the highway on a spare tire that is rated for <50mph in tip top condition? Absolutely not. She drives aggressively (going around slower cars, etc), takes corners faster than some people here *claim* they drive their G37 through corners, all that. She's not racing her car so I'm sure the perfect citizens wouldn't say anything.. but since she's driving on a worn out spare, her risk exposure is very high.

So when I see open road, no cars around, no cops, dry conditions, and I know the road like the back of my hand... and I want to have a little fun while being alert for any changes (any cars showing up, etc) and understanding I'm taking a slight risk because I'm driving closer to the limits of my sports car than usual -- am I such a horrible person in this circumstance? What does that make this lunatic who is just begging for a blow out at freeway speeds in congested traffic? Am I more or less of a lunatic?

Basically... Enough with the "OMG I can't believe you drove your car fast!" crap. I'm sooooooooo tired of it.

/rant
She is without a doubt a bigger hazard and more of lunatic than you are. By far. Her unsafe behavior is way worse than yours, but that doesn't make what you feel to be OK any more legal or safe.

I suppose our perspectives are different in that I deal with this every day and go to accident scenes where people who always seem to say things like "It's about knowing your limits and understanding the risks..." put the safety of the general public at risk. Trust me when I say form years of experience, you most certainly do not know the risks. After an accident that their behavior causes, dangerous drivers often blame others, flee the scene if possible, or seem astounded that they have gotten someone hurt or killed. They never mean to, but it happens. I just hate to see it happen to anybody.

This very brief summary applies specifically to the trucking industry and not G37 owners, but if you look at the table on page 2 of this report, I hope that maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe you won't or maybe you think "I'm a good and careful enough driver tha this won't happen to me. FWIW: http://www.atri-online.org/research/...ger%20CMVE.pdf

No, it doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you just prone to do things that peole sometimes do. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to you. Have you tried finding a private road or track where you can open it up all you want and only have potential to hurt yourself and nobody else? I can hook you up in the Houston area. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 PM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the "private roads" (such as Motor Sports Ranch in Houston) are $$$$$ to drive on. Also, having fun for one minute puts a lot less strain on the car in terms of brakes, tires, etc, than a day at the track. Most people are not going to drive >100miles to a track and pay money to spend 5min on track. It is not realistic.

Anyway, my point is, from your perspective, these cars are made to put people at risk and break laws. Otherwise, you'd be fine with 150HP and bicycle tires. Ban 'em if it is that much of a problem. No need to jump down everyone's throat when they drive their car the way the manufacturer expects them to...
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 AM
aquatechfl

VDC is there for us who arent used to high powered vehicles. But I always turn mine off unless its wet outside. I like the sliding effect and being in control which is not reccomended to anyone. So please unless you have some experience in drifting or are on a race track, leave it on for safety.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
MalTX,

You and I may agree more than you think. Where I live there is no benefit to turning VDC off unless I take a drive out to the country. Even as such there are only a couple of roads where if I were to loose control of my car that I would not likely place anyone else in danger. So in most cases instead of pushing my car near it's limits, I might max out at 60 or 70% leaving myself at least some margin of error.

As far as the person driving around on the doughnut- that is another example of dumb carelessness.
All I am saying is that those who advocate aggressive driving without VDC most of the time without consideration of the conditions are putting innocent folks in danger. I mean who really drifts around every single turn in their daily commute anyway???

If someone in a G37, for example, lost control and hit my wife causing injury because they wanted to test their car's limits or drift without VDC, I would not kill them but I would make them wish that they were dead. I think about that before I decide to play.
I assess the conditions and if I perceive that there is any potential danger I think twice about pushing my car near it's limits. So I might decide to tone down the level of play.

But some seem to advocate overly aggressive driving or risk taking most of the time no matter the conditions. That's just wrong.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 AM
wireboltman

It would seem the fallacy with this whole line of thinking is that everybody's driving abilities are subjective onto their own perception of how well they know how to drive --------or not.
Where do you draw the subjective line that says it's OK for you, but not OK you, you, you, and you. Who's qualified to make that decision?

I autocross and go to the track. My closest track is 500 miles away. I go once a year and spend two nights.

It's worth it to me.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Most of the "private roads" (such as Motor Sports Ranch in Houston) are $$$$$ to drive on. Also, having fun for one minute puts a lot less strain on the car in terms of brakes, tires, etc, than a day at the track. Most people are not going to drive >100miles to a track and pay money to spend 5min on track. It is not realistic.

Anyway, my point is, from your perspective, these cars are made to put people at risk and break laws. Otherwise, you'd be fine with 150HP and bicycle tires. Ban 'em if it is that much of a problem. No need to jump down everyone's throat when they drive their car the way the manufacturer expects them to...
+10000

for the people who want to say "spirited driving", go ahead. i call it aggressive driving. that is how i drive. i've actually toned down a lot since i bought my G. i guess i feel that i dont have anything to prove now?

but anyway, what is the point of HP if you wont use it. get from a dead stop to 60 mph faster than the guy next to you just to stop accelerating at the speed limit? any time i am first car at a light going onto a freeway onramp or something like that, i always gun it and get to 100 as fast as i can. i'd find it very hard to believe that people never take their cars over 4k rpm. and if you DO, then you are driving more aggressively than you need to. there is never a need to pass anyone, just leave more time for yourself before you have to go somewhere.

you can buy this car for the looks, the luxury, and engine - or any combo of those reasons. i really cant think of any more general reasons to buy any vehicle (other than pristige). i'm sure that once the FI kits come out, we will see a lot of hypocracy here. the people who say to slow down will have the FI kits in a year or 2. if you dont have the "need for speed", then you def dont spend several thousand to make your car faster than it already is.

EDIT: do people really put on intakes and exhaust because they like the way the car sounds better? turbo because they like the sound of a blow off valve? nitrous because they want to purge? at some point, everyone (who does these mods) should admit that they want to speed. just dont lie on the forums and talk all this trash about how bad it is, and then do it yourself.(nobody specific in mind, but i'm sure it happens every day).

Last edited by tampa pb; 01-19-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

I agree...u buy a g for the power rush...if u want luxurious feel, get a Lexus ES...
Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ I disagree with this post and Tampa's. The G37 is a luxurious coupe. People buy this car because it look luxurious and it is fast. You also have to understand that people also mod their cars to track them. It is never a good idea to drive to aggressively on public streets. You drive aggressively but do it safely such as use turn signals, don't speed to fast, and be mindful of others. Stupid people tend to make stupid drivers and people who drive in an unsafe manor are STUPID! Have fun but be safe.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 PM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^ I disagree with this post and Tampa's. The G37 is a luxurious coupe. People buy this car because it look luxurious and it is fast. You also have to understand that people also mod their cars to track them. It is never a good idea to drive to aggressively on public streets. You drive aggressively but do it safely such as use turn signals, don't speed to fast, and be mindful of others. Stupid people tend to make stupid drivers and people who drive in an unsafe manor are STUPID! Have fun but be safe.
what determines "too fast"? if i hit someone going 70 MPH, the speed limit on a highway.. i dont really think that it will be safer to hit them going 100 mph. i am pretty sure that it would be the same outcome either way. fast speeds and fast turns does not mean safe driving, and slow speeds and slower turns does not mean safe driving either.

this is getting kind of off topic from the post which is really about turning on or off the VDC. i think this thread has prob covered everything it is going to on the topic, and anything else will prob just be useless argument like it is right now.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominican_Capt
I agree...u buy a g for the power rush...if u want luxurious feel, get a Lexus ES...
if i wanted a power rush i woulda got a C6 or a EVO or STi...even then I still wouldn't drive like a fool

if u wanna have fun buy gran turismo and save urself money and be safe....some ppl here seem like the ones i'm afraid of driving on the same street with
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Dominican_Capt

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by tampa pb
what determines "too fast"? if i hit someone going 70 MPH, the speed limit on a highway.. i dont really think that it will be safer to hit them going 100 mph. i am pretty sure that it would be the same outcome either way. fast speeds and fast turns does not mean safe driving, and slow speeds and slower turns does not mean safe driving either.

this is getting kind of off topic from the post which is really about turning on or off the VDC. i think this thread has prob covered everything it is going to on the topic, and anything else will prob just be useless argument like it is right now.
Okay so if I am understanding your logic correctly, you are saying that hitting someone at 70mph will do no more damage than hitting someone at 100mph???

LMAO!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Anyways, this topic has been beat to death 10 times over and is not even about VDC anymore. Thread closed.