Sponsored By:

Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:53 PM
futuredeadguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yacoub
parents didn't give their kids fast cars
(and if they did, the cars had so much solid iron around them no one got hurt).
You got that right. My first car was a '73 LTD Coupe that already had massive body damage when I bought it for $200.00. Didn't matter if it got wrecked even worse, but I never did crash it. Actually it was pretty fast, just not quick. And braking was slightly better than a locomotive.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 AM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I can see why a person would want to turn VDC off on the track. But Greg, if you are using your G for "normal driving" what is the benefit to turning it off?
I just want to be sure you are aware that the VDC is always immediately activated when the brake pedal is applied. Granted, trouble could arise that would not cause you to brake. In that situation, having it off "just because" would seem foolish. However, you must admit that the majority of the time when trouble arises, you'll be going for the brake pedal... and if you do, then your VDC will be there just like if it was fully enabled.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 AM
AdamJ

Where are the pictures OP promised?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Gday
Banned

Dude, I had my s3k for 3 years, no VDC yet it was fine... Whats wrong with the G37 that you need to have VDC on in normal driving?

I now have a 06 coupe, and yes, i dont mess with the VDC, i just leave it on.. But does it actually do?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 AM
G-WIZ KID

Pics will be up soon. Please bare with me. I haven't had time to take a trip to the body shop. It's mainly gonna be some under body damage and front bumper and side skirts. But I promise pics wil be up as soon as I can snaps some shots.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
tampa pb

i turn my VDC off daily when i drive. not to say that i always drive with it off, but there are certain areas in my daily drives that i am very comfortable with, that i want to drift on. i still need to have some fun.

with the VDC on, and the traction control working properly, and your car driving SAFELY, when you take a turn.. if your traction is lost, you will lose power from the wheels, and it wont let you power through a turn. this is awesome for safety, as it will prevent what happened in the OP.

i turn it off for the same exact opposite reason. i like to drift into my turns in SAFE areas that i am familiar with. like i am turning left into a 3 lane road with no other cars on the road.

VDC on launch: i find that with it on, if you dont shift properly and know when and how to shift, you will lose power also. basicly, the VDC being on will cut your power down any time the wheels dont have the traction (safetly) that the car should have at all times.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
LudwigB

I can't recommend to have VDC off but there are instances in which VDC could make the car understeer when you're expecting the car to oversteer. One time which I was late braking, I thought I had VDC off, the car was just had no steering and went almost straight ahead. I ended up scraping the curb with the front left rim rubbing the side walk. This is one instance which oversteer would have helped me. At least I could have corrected for it. With understeer, there was not much I could do. I could feel VDC did something to the wheels and the steering felt strange.

Again I am not recommending turning VDC off in normal driving, but if you want to do some spirited driving, VDC should be off.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gday
Dude, I had my s3k for 3 years, no VDC yet it was fine... Whats wrong with the G37 that you need to have VDC on in normal driving?

I now have a 06 coupe, and yes, i dont mess with the VDC, i just leave it on.. But does it actually do?
It is a safety feature guys. I had it kick on while I was driving aggressively and it feels fine. Something you wouldn't want on a track but on daily drive in town it could be helpful. It is like airbags. No one on here is b!tch3n about those although they had some some poundage to the car. The reason is that they are great when you have an accident although for most on here that will not happen.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can b!tch about airbags.

Thos stupid a$$ labels they put on the UNDERSIDE of the sun visors....and it's illegal to remove them.....wtf?!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
G-WIZ KID

They are. ahahaha. Don't really bother me much.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
tampa pb

another note about the VDC... it was raining today, and i went to an open parking lot to learn more about my car. i did some very aggressive driving both with and without the VDC. everyone thinks they are great drivers, but if you dont understand how your car reacts under different conditions, then you cant be a very good driver.
i highly suggest to everyone that they experiment under safe conditions with their vehicle, and get to know it. you can ask all day long what the VDC does, but until you actually drive with it on and off and feel the difference, it wont help you.
if you dont plan to drive aggressively, you dont need to ever turn it off. if you plan to drive aggressively, you are just stupid if you dont test it (the VDC and the car) first in a safe area.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Some of the manuvers that people are talking about are just plain dumb on the street. I will say this again, the street was not designed for performance type driving. Sometimes even track conditions can deteriorate to the point of dangerous for performance type driving. That is not to say that one can't have a little fun when it is safe to do so but to go out on public roads most or all the time for the purpose of attempting dangerous manuevers aggressively at the limits of adhesion is just dumb with VDC off or on. Sure the G is easy to handle most of the time and yes you may know your car like the back of your hand but what you may not know is what the street conditions are. In fact at the track it takes you a couple of times around it to get a good feel for what the track is like that day- even if you have been there before. Once you do it on the track a few times, you lose the desire to do it on the street.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
ALPINE6SPD

sux man good luck with the repair
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Some of the manuvers that people are talking about are just plain dumb on the street. I will say this again, the street was not designed for performance type driving. Sometimes even track conditions can deteriorate to the point of dangerous for performance type driving. That is not to say that one can't have a little fun when it is safe to do so but to go out on public roads most or all the time for the purpose of attempting dangerous manuevers aggressively at the limits of adhesion is just dumb with VDC off or on. Sure the G is easy to handle most of the time and yes you may know your car like the back of your hand but what you may not know is what the street conditions are. In fact at the track it takes you a couple of times around it to get a good feel for what the track is like that day- even if you have been there before. Once you do it on the track a few times, you lose the desire to do it on the street.
Kahboom I agree with you in theory.

Realistically this just is not practical. Like it or not, and illegal or not, these cars exist to be driven enthusiastically on normal roads. There are plenty of track-oriented cars and this is not one of them. In fact, if you admit to Infiniti that your car had an issue while at a race track, they will deny warranty coverage citing that the car is not intended for race track use.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Kahboom I agree with you in theory.

Realistically this just is not practical. Like it or not, and illegal or not, these cars exist to be driven enthusiastically on normal roads. There are plenty of track-oriented cars and this is not one of them. In fact, if you admit to Infiniti that your car had an issue while at a race track, they will deny warranty coverage citing that the car is not intended for race track use.
Nope. I'm sorry. If that is just plain 100% wrong. Irresponsible people may feel like their car's performance and their perceived level of driving skill makes it acceptable to drive dangerously, or as you put it, "enthusiastically" but its never OK or justified. There are good reasons for public safety laws, to protect everyone's right to use public roads safely. I oversee safety for a large transportation company. If it's OK for you, would you be alright with my truck drivers hauling 40 tons of hazardous materials to drive aggressively because the feel the have the machine or skill to do it? Drive on public roads safely. Period. If we do drive aggressively or dangerously on the roads, then we must take responsibility for the consequences and not rationalize that its alright because it suits our purposes.

I've done it on occasion too but that doesn't make it acceptable.

EDIT: My apologies for the rant. I had just come out of a lengthy meeting at work discussing 2 fatalities and another accident where 2 small children were disabled for life and I was a bit edgy. The culprit in both instance were people driving like morons on public roads (one motorcycle, one car) and it's kind of touchy subject with me as I see it everyday and how lives are affected. Stunt driving is for movies and the track.

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!