Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
KRAZY J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siug37
Sounds like bad driving to me. I drive with my VCD off all the time and love kicking out the *** end going fast around corners.
co-sign
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
One thing one must also accout for is street conditions. The street wasn't designed for performance type driving. Thus you may have off camber angles, potholes, oil spliss etc that may cause your car to behave in a manner that was otherwise unexpected. Thus on the street I recommend VDC on . The G37s VDC is much less intrusive than the older generation G35 so there is still plenty of room to play without taking it to dangerous levels.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some people that have RWD cars just don't know how to handle their cars I don't get it. One of the first things I do when I am driving a car I am unfamiliar with is learn its limits. If its snowing, raining, or dry, I always find out how the car reacts while I'm in a safe environment. That way when you have to dodge a wreck or drive aggressively, you are prepared to do so. I've never been in a wreck, knock on wood, in my life. I drive aggressively in my G37S probably 70% of the time. I kick out the rear end just to have fun. Its not rocket science controlling your rear end when it kicks out. I suggest, as others have, that if you don't know how to handle your RWD car, you go to an open lot when its raining and test how the car handles.

This G37S is so amazingly easy to handle with rear end kick outs. It is very predictable and linear, I absolutely love it. I wish I could make VDC off by default. The first thing I do after starting the car is hittin the VDC switch. Even if its raining, its off. The only time I leave it on is if its snowing.

I also rev match my down shifts before turns or accelerations, as well as heel-to-toe while breaking into corners, just for practice. Maybe I'm just crazy eh?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 AM
futuredeadguy

Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
Hey people. Thanks for taking the time and reading my thread. I just wanted to clarify that I was not attempting to drift or do any sort of stupid stunt. What happened was after I turned the VDC off to launch my car from a red light ....
Yep,

I read it right the first time. Get some electrical tape and put a piece over your VDC-OFF button. You failed.

Basic rule on the track - when you have tried to correct and have started to lose control, let go of the wheel for a second (or a tenth of a second - whatever it takes). A front engine/rear drive car will USUALLY correct itself. Not as simple on the street where innocent bystanders are at risk.

Basic rule of the street - don't trust the technology built into your car to make up for your lack of experience. VDC wasn't designed for street racing. It was designed for safety. Trusting it could kill innocent people.

VDC OFF is for the track, or when you have a great road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 AM
G-WIZ KID

I agree with futuredeadguy.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
GregUMR

VDC OFF is for the track, or when you have a great road in the middle of nowhere.
That is just so wrong though. Unless you are just horrible at driving, you can use the VDC off button and be fine. In fact, you can turn the vdc off and still drive normal, hey, there is a concept!! You guys act like the VDC button is this horrible button that will cause your car to lose control in normal situations. Don't gas a turn WOT when its wet or in first gear and dry conditions. If its snowing, obviously you want vdc on. Pretty simple.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GregUMR
That is just so wrong though. Unless you are just horrible at driving, you can use the VDC off button and be fine. In fact, you can turn the vdc off and still drive normal, hey, there is a concept!! You guys act like the VDC button is this horrible button that will cause your car to lose control in normal situations. Don't gas a turn WOT when its wet or in first gear and dry conditions. If its snowing, obviously you want vdc on. Pretty simple.
But if your driving normal then there is no reason to have the VDC off....
Old 01-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Why is that so wrong?? You don't have to be driving like an idiot to benefit from having VDC on. What if you have to perform an emergency manoeuver of some sort? VDC can save you when you least expect it.

Like UNV stated, if you are driving normal what are the reasons to turn it off?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still confused....

You weren't trying to drift or pull a stupid stunt but you were doing a 90 degree turn at 45mph.

That right there is a stupid stunt.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:32 PM
futuredeadguy

Agreed, Greg:

I over-stated my case. VDC OFF is fine for more experienced drivers. My last real sports car was a 77 280z 3.1L with 280 WHP - no VDC (Man, I miss that car!). I'm used to not having VDC. But, I think it's likely that many new G owners have never experienced a powerful rear wheel drive car - many are upgrading from FWD. VDC is a good idea until they can get some track time or practice with VDC off in an otherwise safe environment.

Sure wish my 2WD Titan had VDC. That sucker goes all over the place in the rain. Kinda fun, but a pain at times, also.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
GregUMR

Originally Posted by futuredeadguy
Agreed, Greg:

I over-stated my case. VDC OFF is fine for more experienced drivers. My last real sports car was a 77 280z 3.1L with 280 WHP - no VDC (Man, I miss that car!). I'm used to not having VDC. But, I think it's likely that many new G owners have never experienced a powerful rear wheel drive car - many are upgrading from FWD. VDC is a good idea until they can get some track time or practice with VDC off in an otherwise safe environment.

Sure wish my 2WD Titan had VDC. That sucker goes all over the place in the rain. Kinda fun, but a pain at times, also.

I'll agree with you there. For people coming from FWD that haven't learned to test the limits of their car in a safe environment, VDC on is a good idea. I've driven Dodge Vipers around and I was able to control that car even in an emergency situation , its all about understanding how the car will react to what you do, if you understand that, you will be just as good if not better with VDC off, then with it on. When I have VDC on, I actually feel less in control because I don't know exactly how the VDC system is going to react.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I carve up the mountains around here, no VDC. Even when it's just rained. The car is easy to control, you just need experience. 30 years if you want to catch up with me.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by RedHerring
I carve up the mountains around here, no VDC. Even when it's just rained. The car is easy to control, you just need experience. 30 years if you want to catch up with me.
30 years? I don't even have that much experience being alive.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

I find it kinda funny that some of you talk like having VDC on is only for inexperienced drivers and wussies. I've been driving for just about 20 years and feel that I am a very experienced/capable driver in all weather conditions. Having said that, I still feel that a computer can react a lot faster than I can in any type of emergency manoeuver and potentially save my azz.

I've owned mostly rear wheel drive vehicles in the past so it's not like I have experience only with FWD vehicles. For me, the bottom line is that VDC is a technological safety feature in the G, and if it's something that can help save me and my family's life than I'm going to use it.

I can see why a person would want to turn VDC off on the track. But Greg, if you are using your G for "normal driving" what is the benefit to turning it off?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:22 PM
yacoub

Originally Posted by gbest03
How the heck did we all survive before VDC?
parents didn't give their kids fast cars
(and if they did, the cars had so much solid iron around them no one got hurt).

Quick Reply: Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!