Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
Hey people. Thanks for taking the time and reading my thread. I just wanted to clarify that I was not attempting to drift or do any sort of stupid stunt. What happened was after I turned the VDC off to launch my car from a red light (practicing my launch). With the VDC off, this allows the car to give all the wheels power rather than the breaks being applied when it feels the tires slipping. After taking off, I came to an intersection wanting to make a right. The light was green and going about 45mph, I turned thinking that the car would grip like usual( done this many times). Going into the turn, all of the sudden the rear swings out (no acceleration applied). I have had experience with rear wheel drive cars for example my Nissan 300zx.During the incident, it feels like when your towing a trailer and it swings out from behinds you. It feels like the rear end is too heavy which made the rear swing over due to the momentum at 45mph. Tried to control it for about 5-7 secs but the car spun 145degrees ending up hitting the center with the passenger front rim first, followed by the rest of the car. Yes the car was drivable after changing the blown tire. Pretty crazy if you guys ask me. Its at the body shop waiting on the insurance adjuster to come down and look. For now using a rental car. I should practice in the rental until ready to get my car back. ahahaha. Only kidding.
Your statement about the car applying the brakes is incorrect. The VDC does not apply the brakes when it senses traction loss. It just cuts power to the wheels. If this car at a form of dynamic stability control then yes it would apply brakes in a turn to control the car but it doesn't
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by mal_TX
No, that's trailing throttle oversteer. You lift off the throttle and you are transferring weight to the front, thereby reducing your contact patch at the rear. Simultaneously, you are applying negative torque through the rear tires, further reducing your available traction (think mildly tugging hand-brake). Then you turn the wheel.... of course it spins out. Next time squeeze the throttle while counter-steering to regain control.

With my old G35 coupe after two years I was comfortable enough to do this on purpose and then apply throttle to stop the car rotating at the proper time to get through a corner.
Squeezing the throttle is the wrong word in my opinion. You want to modulate the throttle. Slight on pressure off pressure on the throttle is how you control a drift. The problem is most people start loosing the rear and just mash the throttle in an event of rear traction loss because they think it will make them drift but all that does it make the rear wheels spin like crazy and make the car spin out faster.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
mal_TX you are 1000% correct. There are 2 basic things wrong that caused this to happen. The first is the driver's false sense of how to control a RWD car because of the VSC always correcting the mistakes without consequence. How many times has that light come on before I wonder? Every time it flashes, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG THAT WOULD POSSIBLY CAUSE YOU TO LOSE CONTROL WITHOUT IT SAVING YOUR BUTT. But since it cleans up the mess each time, many tend to ignore it and think nothing of it. Secondly, 45 MPH is far too fast to negotiate a 90 degree turn under almost any circumstance. This is likely due to the false security many of our inexperienced drivers have from not knowing that what they are doing is extremely dangerous because of not knowing any better.

I personally feel the G is a *****cat to control under most circumstances even with VDC off because I've been driving RWD high HP cars since 1984 (long before VDC existed) and learned at the very start to respect them. At 16 I drove a '68 Camaro that had about 420 HP. No VDC, no electronic throttle, just raw power and a very loose suspension by today's standards. It took me all of 20 minutes to spin out but it was under supervision and guidance in a place where it was safe to test the limits; definitely nowhere near any public road. Please be careful.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a moderate amount of experience with driving RWD cars in an agressive fashion from my earlier days.

With that, I did exactly what someone above suggested 2 weeks after I got the G37. I went to a slightly damp Mall parking lot at 7am before anyone was there, and tested the limits of the car on a wet surface with VDC off. (Of course, I was having fun too).

Doing that made me much more comfortable with driving agressively (when in safe situations/no traffic) on some of the more curved roads aorund here. I still don't turn the VDC off however (I'm no drift king), but it certainly was useful in teaching me the feel of the car.

After doing that initial "feel test", I can say this car, compared to my previous RWD (a V8 Camaro) is VERY predictable as to when it's going to break loose with the VDC off. It's almost telegraphic. I have to say it's the thing I've been most impressed with in this Infiniti. The car really does feel very in tune with the driver if the driver treats it with respect and knows it's limits.

To the original poster - I'm sorry for your loss. My only damage so far is a 40" crack across my windshield and buffing scratches from the dealership washing it carelessly before I picked it up. And just those things make me want to cry. I can't imagine what you're feeling. The first dent on any car I own, no matter how minor, makes me feel like it's no longer the same.

Last edited by iansw; 01-10-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by iansw
I have a moderate amount of experience with driving RWD cars in an agressive fashion from my earlier days.

With that, I did exactly what someone above suggested 2 weeks after I got the G37. I went to a slightly damp Mall parking lot at 7am before anyone was there, and tested the limits of the car on a wet surface with VDC off. (Of course, I was having fun too).

Doing that made me much more comfortable with driving agressively (when in safe situations/no traffic) on some of the more curved roads aorund here. I still don't turn the VDC off however (I'm no drift king), but it certainly was useful in teaching me the feel of the car.

After doing that initial "feel test", I can say this car, compared to my previous RWD (a V8 Camaro) is VERY predictable as to when it's going to break loose with the VDC off. It's almost telegraphic. I have to say it's the thing I've been most impressed with in this Infiniti. The car really does feel very in tune with the driver if the driver treats it with respect and knows it's limits.

To the original poster - I'm sorry for your loss. My only damage so far is a 40" crack across my windshield and buffing scratches from the dealership washing it carelessly before I picked it up. And just those things make me want to cry. I can't imagine what you're feeling. The first dent on any car I own, no matter how minor, makes me feel like it's no longer the same.
Do you mean telepathic? Not telegraphic.....
Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I turned off my VDC after I reset my ECU just so I didn't have to worry about cutting power to the car. Well I drove up to my school to buy my books for class. The street that goes up to my school has a speed limit of 55mph so I was going the speed limit. I slowed down to make the left hand turn to get on the road to my school. I took the turn a little to quickly due to the traffic that was headed my way but I didn't see the huge patch of dirt/sand of the road they laid down for help for traction in snow. I hit the dirt my back end slid out and I drifted into the turn. The lady that was waiting at the light where I was turning in saw me and I saw the expression on her face. Her mouth was open like WOW. I never lost control of the car and of course this was something I would never plan to do on a public street. But it happened. I was calm and drove it perfectly to get control again.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We just realized he doesnt have VLSD. That explains some
Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 AM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will never want the VDC on while racing. You don't have control of the car. The VDC does.
I always turn it off for any kind of spirited driving. I want complete control of the vehicle. Getting 300" of snow up here, I usually leave it on for town driving.
However, I tried SCCA autocrossing (Rallycross) last winter on an icey, steep course and definitely turned it off for that, too. I don't need some computer braking this wheel or that. Slows you down considerably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjysSZAg2wg

If anybody isn't comfortable driving without the VDC on, perhaps further driving lessons should be encouraged

Last edited by wireboltman; 01-10-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
Do you mean telepathic? Not telegraphic.....
No - telegraphic. It sends you messages.

Telepathic would mean it knows what I'm thinking. Which would be cool, but I don't think infiniti has developed it yet.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yeah need VLSD to take turns like that w/o VDC on- too much power otherwise. ALso I would not turn VDC off unless I am doing some straight line bursts or at the track. On public roads, when it is time to turn it is time to turn on VDC.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 AM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
Your statement about the car applying the brakes is incorrect. The VDC does not apply the brakes when it senses traction loss. It just cuts power to the wheels. If this car at a form of dynamic stability control then yes it would apply brakes in a turn to control the car but it doesn't
Actually it will apply the brakes from time to time. It will cut power to prevent wheelspin.. that is, when wheelspin starts, it will cut power to try to keep it from getting worse. If it gets worse anyway, it will hit the brakes. This applies to sudden break loose of the wheels, too, such as what occurs on a hard launch.

My VDC applies brakes if I shift 1st-to-2nd at 100% of the limit. It applies the brakes in response to the beginning of what is a tire chirp/tiny wag when going into 2nd. It is *really* obvious this is what the car is doing.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
RedlineSi

From Infinti:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
A change in traction can affect your car's stability during cornering. VDC[1] uses an array of sensors to help determine your steered path and to help keep you in control. If your vehicle begins to understeer (plow forward) or oversteer (fishtail), VDC applies appropriate brake pressure to individual wheels and/or reduces engine output to help keep both ends in line.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
G-WIZ KID

Someone was telling me the reason why I fishtailed was b/c i don't hav VLSD. Can someone breifly explian to me the fuctions of that is? Thank You
Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
PainProphet

I've read most of this thread, but I didn't see anything referring to the Bridgestone tires that come on the G37... If they are the same kind that came stock on my 2004 350z, and I think they are, they are complete sh*t and I'm not suprised that that you spun out.

I can't remember the exact model, but I switched to the BFGoodwrench KDW's that you see on a lot of sports cars, made a world of difference.

I've only had time to check tirerack.com, but all I saw for direct replacement for the stock sizes are the tires that come on our car... I hope to god someone else makes those sizes when I need a new set...

Anyway, rant off, glad you are safe, sorry to hear about your car.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
Someone was telling me the reason why I fishtailed was b/c i don't hav VLSD. Can someone breifly explian to me the fuctions of that is? Thank You
You fishtailed because you were going too fast-

Quick Reply: Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!