G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
The1andOnly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^I agree somewhat. The VDC really makes the car to be driven easier on a daily basis, but yet you can turn it off when you really want to drive the car. I know a lot of people back in the day who wish they had the type of control that our VDC has so that they could drive the car daily without so much effort.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
izzo01

reminds me of my friend and his G35 he took it off just to see what kind of difference it made he took a curve at about 45/50 and ended with a 180 onto the curb.

You got to be careful and try as best as you can to stay calm when a iccident occurs.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
daamn dude. sorry to hear this.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
sanscu

Go easy with the G dude. Keep the VDC on during regular driving. I turned it off just to test it out and love the feel of wiping out but make sure it's in a empty parking lot or something like that not the main roads.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard this story all to many times. Most times the person doesn't "forget" to turn the TC back on. They just watched FAF Tokyo Drift one too many times and think they can go out in their RWD cars and think they are the next Drift King. Not saying you did that just saying that happens a lot. I think another problem is a lot of people under estimate RWD cars and get them as either their first car or go a little too crazy driving their first RWD car they drive. Personally my first RWD car was my 02 Honda S2000 which had no traction control so learn to drive that type of car with no TC. After years of autocrosses and track days driving the G with VDC off is a breeze as the chassis is much more forgiving then the S2k was. Go find an empty parking lot after it rains turn your VDC off and have a little fun. Practice controlling the car in a drift. It will help a lot. The G is pretty easy to drift with a little practice. In any case sorry to hear about your car and hope it gets fixed quick for you.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Well, for one, we have way too much horsepower nowadays for the average driver to be able to handle, which wasn't necessarily the case back then depending on what you drove.

Our G's are gonna react much differently than a 1986 110 Horsepower front wheel drive Accord...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-10-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
I have heard this story all to many times. Most times the person doesn't "forget" to turn the TC back on. They just watched FAF Tokyo Drift one too many times and think they can go out in their RWD cars and think they are the next Drift King. Not saying you did that just saying that happens a lot. I think another problem is a lot of people under estimate RWD cars and get them as either their first car or go a little too crazy driving their first RWD car they drive. Personally my first RWD car was my 02 Honda S2000 which had no traction control so learn to drive that type of car with no TC. After years of autocrosses and track days driving the G with VDC off is a breeze as the chassis is much more forgiving then the S2k was. Go find an empty parking lot after it rains turn your VDC off and have a little fun. Practice controlling the car in a drift. It will help a lot. The G is pretty easy to drift with a little practice. In any case sorry to hear about your car and hope it gets fixed quick for you.
wrong, i am the real dk..i wouldnt wait to drift in this car, its surpose to be a luxury car, not a drift car. if i wanted a drift car, i would of gotten the s14.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
AdamJ

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
well that on top of the fact that back in teh days many cars were lower HP and a lot mroe Front wheel drives too...all the power we have to the rear will cause our cars to swing out differently as opposed to a 1986 110 Horsepower front wheel drive Accord...
Hello, what about the 60s? My '68 Mustang Fastback has no traction control. I've gotten myself into trouble a couple times but you have to know your limits. I agree with the previous poster that mentioned Tokyo Drift. Many kids on this forum have the fast and the furious mentality. "Thats tite yo!!!! that **** be hot!" Anyway, I digress.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 PM
maxipad96

People need to learn to drive a RWD car.

I suspect as others have allready noted that most come from FWD models. No matter how much HP you're making or how fast you're going, a RWD always has the possibility of reacting like that.

12 years ago before I got my license my parents where cool enough to enroll me in an advanced handling course here at Road Atlanta. They put us in TT 300zx and put us on the skidpad, reaction course and handling course. Taught me so much in that 1 Day. I recommend everyone going to a safe area and learning the limits of your car with the VDC off, it's the only way to truly know how the car will react. On top of that do some research on saving the rear end during loss of control. You will find that you're natural instincts are actually the complete opposite of what's actually needed when you've lost control of the rear.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think it's ur driving...i leave my VDC off most of the time when i drive...but i make sure i turn it on when it's wet outside

and dont take such sharp turns at high speeds if u can't handle
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think last nite in a thread I made a comment about how you should Keep it on always...

At what speed could the G37 flip? anyone take a guess?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 PM
G-WIZ KID

Exclamation Reply to Warning!!!

Hey people. Thanks for taking the time and reading my thread. I just wanted to clarify that I was not attempting to drift or do any sort of stupid stunt. What happened was after I turned the VDC off to launch my car from a red light (practicing my launch). With the VDC off, this allows the car to give all the wheels power rather than the breaks being applied when it feels the tires slipping. After taking off, I came to an intersection wanting to make a right. The light was green and going about 45mph, I turned thinking that the car would grip like usual( done this many times). Going into the turn, all of the sudden the rear swings out (no acceleration applied). I have had experience with rear wheel drive cars for example my Nissan 300zx.During the incident, it feels like when your towing a trailer and it swings out from behinds you. It feels like the rear end is too heavy which made the rear swing over due to the momentum at 45mph. Tried to control it for about 5-7 secs but the car spun 145degrees ending up hitting the center with the passenger front rim first, followed by the rest of the car. Yes the car was drivable after changing the blown tire. Pretty crazy if you guys ask me. Its at the body shop waiting on the insurance adjuster to come down and look. For now using a rental car. I should practice in the rental until ready to get my car back. ahahaha. Only kidding.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
mal_TX

Kind of silly really. If you know how to drive a RWD, the VDC is a "nice to have." If taking a turn at 45mph causes you to lose control, please let it on always or go practice someplace safe until you can drive a RWD car.

As for "how did we survive before VDC?" Well there were plenty of cars with more than enough horsepower to lose control like the OP here... people just respected them because they didn't have little nannies to keep them in line. They drove too hard in a turn, they crash. It only takes hearing stories from people or having a close call or two to give you that respect.

The VDC gives you a false sense of security -- it works really well, but you will never learn to drive the car yourself with it on. Then one day, you turn it off to have a "little" fun, forget to turn it back on, and scare yourself or crash when you mash the throttle in the middle of a turn. Mashing the throttle mid-turn is just plain NEVER going to work in a RWD, and the VDC doesn't let you learn that.

Double-edged sword, really. I do think it works well enough that it is probably OK if you never learn to drive a RWD properly, so long as you always leave it on. IMO, that kinda of defeats the purpose of getting a RWD car (at a premium, no less), though.

BTW I learned to control RWD with a 1980s suzuki samuri in dirt and/or mud. Sometimes I would get stuck in the mud and have to engage the 4WD to get out, but I learned A LOT about car control dancing that tiny little thing around on big mounds of dirt. I've taken the G to maximum lock to catch a slide... it is a VERY forgiving chassis, but please learn in a safe place or with something else (like a performance kart) first before you break your $40k toy
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
mal_TX

No, that's trailing throttle oversteer. You lift off the throttle and you are transferring weight to the front, thereby reducing your contact patch at the rear. Simultaneously, you are applying negative torque through the rear tires, further reducing your available traction (think mildly tugging hand-brake). Then you turn the wheel.... of course it spins out. Next time squeeze the throttle while counter-steering to regain control.

With my old G35 coupe after two years I was comfortable enough to do this on purpose and then apply throttle to stop the car rotating at the proper time to get through a corner.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
wrong, i am the real dk..i wouldnt wait to drift in this car, its surpose to be a luxury car, not a drift car. if i wanted a drift car, i would of gotten the s14.
people said the same about the G35 coupe yet faulken disagree's and has a bad *** G35 drift car

Quick Reply: Warning About Turning Your VDC Off !!!