Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds had this rant about the 6MT G37's gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edmunds had this rant about the 6MT G37's gearbox

"We'd probably stick with the standard five-speed automatic and its quick-shifting paddles mounted on the steering column, which blips the throttle for rev-matched downshifts. The Sport 6MT trim's manual transmission has a clutch that errs on the side of heavy and engages abruptly, while the shift lever is slow to move through its gates."

So Edmunds says...

Have any of you 6mt drivers noticed this? Is this just an Infiniti thing and was present in the 35 Coupes as well? I dont even comprehend exactly what Edmunds means in that rant - me being a new MT driver....Any thoughts??

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-08-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 PM
GiGGaplease

i am too a first time mt driver. sometimes the stick would not go into gear smoothly, i have to push harder for it to go in. i think something is wrong with the clutch, on a few occasions, when i try to floor the car, the clutch would depress by itself without me pushing the clutch in. am i the only one that has this happened too?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
DetroitG37Joe

ive noticed that a little bit too.....sometimes i feel the gate is not opened completely for my stick to go into gear even with the clutch fully engaged...
Old 01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i agree.. i wanna upgrade to a 6 puck clutch because to me it is way to soft and i dont like how long the clutch pedal travel length is. I do a lot of "spirited" driving
Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i would agree with the clutch engaging abrubtly
Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
xref

i agree. this is the hardest stick shift car i've ever driven. you gotta feather the clutch if you want shifting to be really smooth. and the clutch has way too much free play.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
roydiculous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After owning the 350Z for more than a year, I can tell you that this gearbox does feel slow. I thought the 350Z was notchy, but the way a bolt action rifle is. This shifter/clutch really irritates me sometimes.

I feel like when I rev match and downshift, it won't slide into gear but rather I have to wait for the transmission to want to let me get into gear. We are talking about a 200-500 millisecond lag, bit it all adds up.

Also, when spirited driving, I miss the 2-3 shift occasionally, which irks me b/c I've never done that in another other MT. I only have 1,500 miles on the car and hope that it gets better in time. Or I will get better at driving her.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Hmm, that's odd. It's my first mt car but I didn't really notice any difficulty shifting or the clutch engaging abruptly... only times it felt like it didn't want to get in gear was because I didn't fully depress the clutch (which was my fault). But there is a noticeable "lock-in" feel when I shift it into gear (isn't that a good thing so you know you're completely in gear??)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
SteveG37

I just traded in my 5 speed Scion tc, it was my first manual that I've owned, and you talk about a tough clutch and what not. So to me the G37 6 speed is as silky smooth and slick as can be, in fact I thought that was one of the best things about the car since I've been driving it, how smooth and easy it is to shift the gears, guess that's what happens when you don't know any better, LOL!!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by roydiculous
After owning the 350Z for more than a year, I can tell you that this gearbox does feel slow. I thought the 350Z was notchy, but the way a bolt action rifle is. This shifter/clutch really irritates me sometimes.

I feel like when I rev match and downshift, it won't slide into gear but rather I have to wait for the transmission to want to let me get into gear. We are talking about a 200-500 millisecond lag, bit it all adds up.

Also, when spirited driving, I miss the 2-3 shift occasionally, which irks me b/c I've never done that in another other MT. I only have 1,500 miles on the car and hope that it gets better in time. Or I will get better at driving her.
+1111
Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
lolo300zx

Moving from the 350 to 370, I love the clutch and transmission. They are a huge improvement in many areas.

A comment on the few people who have complained about shifting gears, one thing to keep in mind is that many of you are living in cold climates, especially the guy from Detroit. The colder the weather the thicker the tranny fluid will be and this will hinder the action of the shifter. As the transmission does not heat up nearly as quickly as the engine it will takes miles and miles of driving for the tranny fluid to warm up and become less viscous.

Just my 2 yen.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

it feels fine for normal driving but spririted driving is hmmm on. i would like a new clutch and flywheel
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
it feels fine for normal driving but spririted driving is hmmm on. i would like a new clutch and flywheel
Ya, same goes for me unless I get up to 7k rpms then it seems to be smooth. 2nd to 3rd sometimes seems to be a little rough. If I take it slow, it tends to switch gears much smoother.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
roydiculous

I'd gladly have a $1,000 higher MSRP to have a getrag tranny or something buttery smooth. On another note, as I remember when revving my 2003 350Z, it used to purr but everyone complained about the engine not being refined. This engine is supposed to be refined but I think the engine just produces a raspy drone when i rev it.

Sorry about the rant, I love the car, don't get me wrong. These, and the weight are my only grips. I'm so glad I chose the G over the 335i.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
RedlineSi

U people are nuts. I've drove tons of different manuals and the G has a very nice set up. Yes, the clutch is a little bit tough, but that doesn't mean it's bad, you just need to know how to use it. The short throw is very nice though. I had a 2000 Civic Si before, which is known for the great tranny the b16a had, but the throw was much longer.

Quick Reply: Edmunds had this rant about the 6MT G37's gearbox