G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds had this rant about the 6MT G37's gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM
cyberjock4hire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, the clutch and shifter are silky smooth. My last car was a 2005 Mustang GT with a 5 speed manual, talk about the clutch engaging abrubtly. Not only that but if you were accelerating the engine would be torqued one way and the transmission the other, you could not easily shift into the higher gear easily, unless you installed torque limiters. Then again, that was a Ford.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Chosen37

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes it feels silky smooth, sometimes it doesn't. There are instances where I have to put more then the usual amount of force just to put it in gear. It feels like somethings holding it back. IDK. This is also the 1st manual tanny car I owned.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lolo300zx
especially the guy from Detroit. The colder the weather the thicker the tranny fluid will be and this will hinder the action of the shifter. As the transmission does not heat up nearly as quickly as the engine it will takes miles and miles of driving for the tranny fluid to warm up and become less viscous.
Yeah U make a good point about the cold weather - I can feel a bit of difference... especially considering the majority of my 1900 miles have been local road trips each under 15 miles round trip and mostly in cold weather....i got my G at the end of September so I havent really had it broken in for summer mos. by the time I hit 1200 miles for the break in - it was already mid-late November and it was already real cold with salt on roads....DETROIT SUMMER HERE I COME...4 MORE MOS. AND COUNTING!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On my Maxima... the gears really benefited drastically from synthetic tranny fluid... i think it was Redline MT-90, i think...
I dont have a problem with the gears at all... but is this a "do-able" mod for the G37?
I love the Gears AND the shifter, if you asked me... The clutch just has a funny abrubt feeling to it... Im not complaining really... I just have to master the engage point I guess...thats all id say... said all that to say this, "I LOVE MY CAR"
Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
DetroitG37Joe

yeah i want to master it....the synthetic trany fluid sounds good i think i may try that to see if i feel a lil more silkiness for my taste...otherwise i am vaguely considering a new clutch/flywheel combo but im not too familiar with those parts - this being my first M/T car...would i be looking for a racing clutch + lightweight flywheel to quench my desire for smoother shifts and more predicatable/smooth clutch engagement???? either way im gonna give it ALL summer at least until August to master my baby so that changing physical parts is a last and most likely uneccesary resort....
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
yeah i want to master it....the synthetic trany fluid sounds good i think i may try that to see if i feel a lil more silkiness for my taste...otherwise i am vaguely considering a new clutch/flywheel combo but im not too familiar with those parts - this being my first M/T car...would i be looking for a racing clutch + lightweight flywheel to quench my desire for smoother shifts and more predicatable/smooth clutch engagement???? either way im gonna give it ALL summer at least until August to master my baby so that changing physical parts is a last and most likely uneccesary resort....
Lightweight flywheels are not for the faint of heart. Although they rev faster, they do have some cons. Drivability is affected, the driveline tug that occurs in low gears at low rpms increases, and cars with lightweight flywheels decelerate much faster due to the inability to hold momentum as well as their OEM weighted counterparts. Just stick with your OEM clutch and master it, youll be fine.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
G37MA

honestly all it takes is practice. No car is custom made for each of us so they go with an all around setup. I do think the clutch engages a bit abruptly, I personally love the shifter so don't understand those complaints, but I'm sure I could be a little more nit picky. However I just compensate my driving style to match up with my vehicle. I think the trans in this car is great. Just let it warm up before ripping through the gears in the cold.

On a side not is it ok to run synthetic in this trans? I know sometimes the manufacturer is very specific with the fluids to go in the trans. If so I will be doing this right away.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Has anyone noticed that the Revs fall very slowly? I know a Lightened Flywheel will not be as dramatic since the Revs fall so slow. Unless it was a super wieght difference.
But has anyone noticed this about the Revs?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by G37MA
honestly all it takes is practice. No car is custom made for each of us so they go with an all around setup. I do think the clutch engages a bit abruptly, I personally love the shifter so don't understand those complaints, but I'm sure I could be a little more nit picky. However I just compensate my driving style to match up with my vehicle. I think the trans in this car is great. Just let it warm up before ripping through the gears in the cold.

On a side not is it ok to run synthetic in this trans? I know sometimes the manufacturer is very specific with the fluids to go in the trans. If so I will be doing this right away.
I put it in my 6MT 2k2 maxima... But I was wondering also if it was OK in this car... Im not that deep into car transmission knowlegde... so... hope someone knows....
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
brrrtpoypoy

In regards to the clutch, does anyone else on here notice that when you fully depress the clutch there is a click sound?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
G37MA

no click sound here but I need to get the chirp in the rear axel fixed.
Lighter flywheel will have the revs drop much faster.
I want Synthetic!! On a side not I hit 1500 and am done with break in. Good idea for oil change?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Just stick with your OEM clutch and master it, youll be fine.
^^^probably the best advice - you're right...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by G37MA
no click sound here but I need to get the chirp in the rear axel fixed.
Lighter flywheel will have the revs drop much faster.
I want Synthetic!! On a side not I hit 1500 and am done with break in. Good idea for oil change?
Yo G37MA aka Esca what's up cous? Nice to see you on here man...

Yeah get the rear axle lubed and re torqued - fixed my axle click/ping right quick....Yeah I dont think the lighter flywheel is for me forget about it...

About the synthetic oil change many dealerships are saying that since synth is so slippery you may want to run at least 8-10k on motor oil...so at least 1 or 2 motor oil changes with full 3.75k runs on it should get you to about 8-9k on ur car and a good summer of harder driving through the mean street of Bah-sten and then go for synth after. That's what I am doing. Keep in miind going synthetic under 25k miles on ur car and stickin with it has the same overall benefits in the long run so might as well run her on motor for a lil bit or else it will be like going from crunchy to creamy PB overnight....gotta ease her in...

shake n bake
Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
yea i agree.. i wanna upgrade to a 6 puck clutch because to me it is way to soft and i dont like how long the clutch pedal travel length is. I do a lot of "spirited" driving
out of curiosity - whats a 6 puck clutch? what are the pros and cons if any? do u get the same life out of it? how does it feel different or upgraded? is it expensive for parts and labor?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Sweeet P

I think the G is quite smooth. Not as easy as a Honda/Acura tranny...but I don't feel at all that it is as bad as some of you have communicated.

I agree that it's difficult to row through the gears perfectly smooth consistently. But I did find that for regular driving...shifting at about 2100 rpms accelerates the car smoothly.

Quick Reply: Edmunds had this rant about the 6MT G37's gearbox