G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You bought the wrong car if you're just gonna hollow it out. This car is supposed to be a blend of performance and luxury. My best friend has a modded GTO that I've both raced against and driven. I get Am-tracked...HARD. Even if you better the power to weight ratio, I doubt you're going to get anywhere near what the GTO can do in terms of "bury you in the seat" torque. Both cars power bands are just completely different. The G37 doesn't really get going till over 4K...the GTO produces massive torque down low but seems to let up around 5K. I'm confident the G37 handles better though. The GTO feels huge and drives like a boat.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
waterboy1966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want an extream mount of power with this car.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 PM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by waterboy1966
jus would like to know what cAN Be removed to mke your car weigh less to make a little more hp.
i was going to let is slide from the first post, but i really have to call you out on it now. reducing weight will not add more power. there is not a single modification you can do that will increase power, unless that modification is under the hood. that is of course, unless you get one of those chips that lets your car do 190...

i really dont understand why people want to buy a brand new model of a car, and want to put in $10,000+ into it immediately, there are faster cars with the same luxury features if you want to pay that much anyway.. but IF you really want to get this car to be as fast as possible, then there are only 2 words you need to think about: Forced Induction.

turbo or supercharger, AND nitrous. if you want this car to go FAST, then you will have to upgrade the block, to ensure that the pistons will be able to handle the icreased combustion. you will need to upgrade your spark plugs, injectors, gaskets, rings, manifolds, all of your piping will need to be re-done, full exhaust... the list goes on. now that you have this power, it will be more than the car is made to handle, so you need a complete new rear end, so you can keep your tires on the ground and still have the axles turn them WHILE they have traction.

after you take care of that ($20,000 and 88 threads later) we will talk about weight reduction mods.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 PM
hum3a

Originally Posted by tampa pb
i was going to let is slide from the first post, but i really have to call you out on it now. reducing weight will not add more power.
duh. what we mean is that for instance if you lose 100lbs, then you would get the same advantage as adding 10hp to your motor. not only that your car will handle better, brake better, etc. ill agree that changing out the seats is a bit much and hard to explain to your date lol.

when i pick up my G some of my first things to do are intake, light weight 19" wheels, carbon fiber hood, and ditching the spare. thats about a 10-15hp advantage over a stock G + i'm like 140lbs.

put me up against a stock G37 with a 200lb+ driver and you'll definitely see a difference in performance, all these things add up.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
JLai

I'm still not convinced you even own this car. Much less sold the original G37, bought a GTO, then a Corvette, then another G37...mind you all within a 4 month span.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

2 keep the luxury sport feel alls you really need to do is, get lighter brakes, lighter wheels and tires, take out the spare....you lightened up the rotating mass....thats all that really matter when its only a few pounds...the back seats might weigh a total of 20lbs...but now you have a hole in ur car....4 what? in that case get a 98 championship weight type r or one of those lightweight racing m3's from the factory(i wanna say 97 or so, someone with bmw knowledge chime in)....both are light and handle extremely well dont forget go fast!...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 AM
RedHerring

I put my spare tire in my wifes trunk. Wait. That doesn't sound right.

I keep my consumables in the storage cage of my support vehicle.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedHerring
I put my spare tire in my wifes trunk. Wait. That doesn't sound right.

I keep my consumables in the storage cage of my support vehicle.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
If I wanted a super light version of the G37 I might wait for the 370Z.

Rumor is that it is not supposed to gain any weight when it comes out (but who really knows)
Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^I heard it is suppose to be a 380Z and not a 370Z. 2009 is the year it will be released, I think.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
skaterbasist

I think shedding significant weight would be a hard task for the G37...for now. Removing the spare tire & jacks is a little too extreme; they are there for a good reason...your safety. For now, I think you have to live with its ~3700lb weight. Lighter wheels would help, but can't really think of anything more for now unless you wan't to start scrapping the interior. I don't see that happening...the new interior is one of the highlights of the G37.

I have an 06 Coupe and have done some weight saving without directly trying to lose weight from the car. For example, my aftermarket exhaust system shed ~15 lbs. And my car also lost ~20 lbs from removing those heavy cats & going with test pipes. But 35 pounds is nothing too significant though, unless you're a drag racer and want to shave tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile. Overall, I estimate my car to weigh in at ~3450lbs.

The G37 would sure be a more enjoyable car if it lost ~250 lbs!

Last edited by skaterbasist; 12-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
tampa pb

seems like most people agree that lighter rims are the way to go.
for what u will spend on new rims and tires, u can go forced induction instead, if if power is the goal.. then it is a much more efficient way to go. much more bang for the buck.

and as always, a 75 shot of nitrous cant really do any harm..
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
The G37 would sure be a more enjoyable car if it lost ~250 lbs!

Don't you like BIG girls?....I mean cars!

More cushion for the pushing is what I always heard. I am not into big "cars" either.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 AM
hum3a

Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^^I heard it is suppose to be a 380Z and not a 370Z. 2009 is the year it will be released, I think.
any news about the 2009 Z? they at least have to have some spy pics or something right?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hum3a
any news about the 2009 Z? they at least have to have some spy pics or something right?
It is still over a year away so I don't think there are any "real" pics yet. I heard they are suppose to redesign the Z and I think it is for 2009 but I could be wrong...not in that market anymore so I haven't kept up with it in awhile.

Check 350Z.com. They should have all the info you are looking for. Link is at top of page or here http://my350z.com/

Quick Reply: weight reduction