Sponsored By:

Who likes the 4WAS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
i have 4WAS on m fully loaded G37S and I love it. I can feel the difference...i dont make crazy lane changes yet so i cant vouch for that... but i did take a couple of exit ramps with speed limit signs for 35 MPH at about 70 MPh and the car stuck to the road great with just slight squeling...I was very impressed...If you are a Nissan drifter by spirit and want to fishtail and correct your sharp turns the way a RWD is meant to be - then dont opt for the 4WAS...If you don't mind the extra control and want a higher tolerance of control before your car begins to swing out a bit then stick with the 4WAS....thats my opinion....I love it.....Im all about stickin to the road....to be quite honest i wouldnt even think of drifting much on street...just track....I wish we could turn off 4WAS....lol can we?
i would imagine there would be a fuse for it. the 300zx's had a fuse for hicas control.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
EightOneZero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
hmmmmm...by your description, it doesn't sound better. why wouldn't you want 100% predictablility all the time?
On a race track, you need the car/bike whatever you're on to be predictable when you are charging into turns and making transitions. It's also for the safety of your fellow racers. 4 wheel steering makes things a bit more sensitive during extreme driving conditions. It is great for daily driving (lane changes, on and off ramps, u-turns). I would not want it on a race car, it feels too twitchy during aggressive driving. Some may prefer it for racing, but I like the more linear feel
Old 12-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Evangelo2

Originally Posted by Raheel
300 LBS I Believe
WHAT! Can we get any confirmation on that? 300#s for active steer is a no no for me. Im not adding that much weight for that option. I just cant believe this is right for a few sensors and tortion bars.

-Evangelo2

*EDIT*
Jusr read somebody wrote 120#'s. Sounds more like it.

Last edited by Evangelo2; 12-01-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
forget the 4was and get yourself a 120# hottie as a passenger.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
EightOneZero

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
forget the 4was and get yourself a 120# hottie as a passenger.
This guy's got it figured out
Old 12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
EightOneZero

Here is one thing I do not like about 4was. It requires less effort to turn the wheel, but once you (ever so slightly) reduce the steering input mid-corner, the thing wants to run wide
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i wonder how it would be with 4WAS and AWD?...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvt
i wonder how it would be with 4WAS and AWD?...

I don't think its possible to have 4WAS and AWD. Infiniti told me that you can't even have the giant sport brakes and 19" wheels on an AWD car, so I would think that 4WAS would be totally out of the question.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
i have 4WAS on m fully loaded G37S and I love it. I can feel the difference...i dont make crazy lane changes yet so i cant vouch for that... but i did take a couple of exit ramps with speed limit signs for 35 MPH at about 70 MPh and the car stuck to the road great with just slight squeling...I was very impressed...If you are a Nissan drifter by spirit and want to fishtail and correct your sharp turns the way a RWD is meant to be - then dont opt for the 4WAS...If you don't mind the extra control and want a higher tolerance of control before your car begins to swing out a bit then stick with the 4WAS....thats my opinion....I love it.....Im all about stickin to the road....to be quite honest i wouldnt even think of drifting much on street...just track....I wish we could turn off 4WAS....lol can we?
I agree 100%. I test drove a G37 without 4WAS, then one WITH 4WAS then one without 4WAS and could notice a huge difference. Lane changes were much quicker, on ramps and off ramps could be taken at much higher speeds, and quick movements through traffic were much smoother. I ordered it on my car and can't wait to get it. Sharp turns into parking spots seemed a bit easier with 4WAS than without it (this could just be my interpretation).
Old 12-02-2007, 11:45 AM
mal_TX

The sport model w/o 4WAS has plentiful traction, able to take "35mph at 70mph" + without sliding or squealing. I don't think it is valid to say the 4WAS improves the car because it can corner without leaning (the non-4WAS corners without leaning as well) or because the car goes through corners quickly (the non-4WAS goes through corners quickly too).

You need some good solid back-to-back comparisons to really know. For example, I don't think the system is even active at parking speeds so any advantage in parking is solely in the driver's mind...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
The sport model w/o 4WAS has plentiful traction, able to take "35mph at 70mph" + without sliding or squealing. I don't think it is valid to say the 4WAS improves the car because it can corner without leaning (the non-4WAS corners without leaning as well) or because the car goes through corners quickly (the non-4WAS goes through corners quickly too).

You need some good solid back-to-back comparisons to really know. For example, I don't think the system is even active at parking speeds so any advantage in parking is solely in the driver's mind...

I know the adaptive headlights dont turn at parking speeds, but I would think the 4WAS would work at all speeds, normally people slow down to 10 mph or so when you turn.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
mal_TX

According to the service manual, at low speeds (it does not specify a mph/kph) the only thing the 4WAS system is doing is varying the steering ratio at the front (not steering the rear tires). This has the effect of multiplying your steering inputs at low speeds and reducing them as the speed increases.

So if you slow down for a corner while holding the steering at the same position, the car will want to steer more as you lose speed and steer less as you gain speed.

The service manual says that in middle and high speed driving the rear tires can be steered midly by the system in order to approximate the desired direction change.

All of this points to unpredictable response to the steering input by the driver.

In any case, while parking all you are getting is a more aggressive steering gear ratio at the front.

I'm not a big fan of this system
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
put the G37 into D or 1st gear and look at the rear wheels move.

i personally don't like the rear active steering b/c potholes make it prone to get wheel alignments once a week in New York.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:19 PM
gspotter

I'm intriqued by the 4WAS because my first new car was a 1992 240SX and it had Super HICAS, and it was a sweet handling (but slow) ride. I think the 4WAS costs too much though and would worry that there's more stuff to go wrong.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4 PROBLEMS:

1) MONEY $1300!

2) USE, AVERAGE PERSON WONT BENEFIT

3) REPAIRS AFTER 60k, I bet it would be a expensive technology to FIX or REPAIR, And Like Kenny (Da Mayor) Said You need Wheel Alignments and who knows what else after a while

4) Higher WEIGHT Takes away Performance

Quick Reply: Who likes the 4WAS???