Sponsored By:

Help!!! Did this hurt my car???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Did this hurt my car???

I came over my parents house for thanksgiving. I let my dad drive the car around the block (big mistake ). I told him to keep it under 4,000 RPMs because I'm breaking it in. He must have floored it becaue he shot it up to around 7,200 rpms in 2nd gear. It was only up there for a second before he let off the gas. Will my car be ok? I have 800 miles (2/3 my break in period). This is the first time its been over 4,000 rpms.

Please help!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it easy, your car is perfectly fine.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It will be fine no damage done. Although if it was my dad i would make him sweat a bit. Tell him he voided the warranty. lol But me and my dad play tricks on each other all the time.

Restasured your car is perfectly finethough.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Thanks guys....I feel a better now. He must not have known it was going to respond like it did. Oh well I'll forgive and forget.

Thanks again
Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM
NasaMan

The car is OK, just give him a hug.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Orbie

The 4000 rpm rule is for a soft break in as per the manual. There are people who do what your Dad did all the time through the break in period, that's what's called a hard break in method. Supposedly the hard break in gives a higher likelyhood of producing a factory freak (ie. a car that makes makes optimal power above and beyond the norm of the same car). So no worries, if people have been doing that for their whole break in with no problems and you just did it once I think you're good.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahaha, your G is fine bro....no worries there at all. For that though, you had better put your Dad in place. jk.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I asked my salesman and he told me that the VVEL was already broke in by the factory. Lol... I don't believe him and I'm definitely "trying" to take it easy with mine.

You're fine though... A little push here and there won't hurt anything.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your G is toast. That will hurt the lifespan of your engine by 50,000 miles. Your transmission is now screwed for the rest of its life. The leather on your steering wheel is going to peel off quicker. The car won't take gasoline anymore and now requires you to use beer instead, which will cause the car to grow a beer belly and, therefore, girls will stop checking you out when you're driving it through LA.

I keeeed, I keeeed.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Your G is toast. That will hurt the lifespan of your engine by 50,000 miles. Your transmission is now screwed for the rest of its life. The leather on your steering wheel is going to peel off quicker. The car won't take gasoline anymore and now requires you to use beer instead, which will cause the car to grow a beer belly and, therefore, girls will stop checking you out when you're driving it through LA.

I keeeed, I keeeed.
Lol... I wish the G drank beer. Cheaper the gasoline.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM
obsidiansti

Originally Posted by ohseedee
I came over my parents house for thanksgiving. I let my dad drive the car around the block (big mistake ). I told him to keep it under 4,000 RPMs because I'm breaking it in. He must have floored it becaue he shot it up to around 7,200 rpms in 2nd gear. It was only up there for a second before he let off the gas. Will my car be ok? I have 800 miles (2/3 my break in period). This is the first time its been over 4,000 rpms.

Please help!!!
ha ha, this is funny. Break in is mostly a myth and there is really no evidence that it is required. Its just suggested by the manufacturer. I've bought a car and within an hour, been on the track giving it hell. That car ran like a champ for 3 years before I sold it.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:07 AM
SilkeG

Since you are 2/3 way through break-in and was done only once, that would be a gradual or what some call a calculated hard break-in. If it gives you any comfort, someone posted the best 1/4 mile time using that approach. Your dad may have given you a "factory freak". If that proves true, beers all around.
EDIT: Correction, it was 2nd best 1/4 mile time.

Last edited by SilkeG; 11-25-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
The car won't take gasoline anymore and now requires you to use beer instead, which will cause the car to grow a beer belly and, therefore, girls will stop checking you out when you're driving it through LA.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
corruptor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohseedee

Please help!!!
you fit your screen name - OCD . your car is fine. I'd actually venture a guess that your pops did you a favor. by revving high and letting off the gas, it helps to tighten the piston seals. many engine builders recommend doing this at least once or twice to avoid any major oil consumption issues.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was that easy to break the engine, we would all be in trouble.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Did this hurt my car???