Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

pinpoint the G37's weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
pinpoint the G37's weight

Just thinking the other day about why the G37 is so heavy for a sports coupe. it's a SLIGHTLY bigger car than the G35 yet the weight difference is almost 150 to 250lbs. I'm thinking it's the amount of sound deadning material, steel reinforced doors, (4WAS if equipped), maybe the engine...

wondering if c/f doors and strippping 25% of the sound deadning will lighten it up a bit AND still keep the car's presence and refinement.

anyone can strip a car down..but how to do it that it still keeps the car..'intact'. hmmmmm

also how to tip that 54-46 weight dist to around 53-47...like the Z.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Greddy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read in a magazine that the extra safety equipment in the dorrs like airbags or watever adds an extra 100 pounds.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Safety first my friends.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by likwidfuzion
Safety first my friends.

that's the point of this thread...how to have your cake and eat it too. it's easy to strip a car for the track...but how do we get the car to a god weight without sacrificing too much of the car.....

c'mon you engineering geniuses..this should keep your wheels turning for a while.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I would imagine that it is configured ina way that f you strip something other things won't work properly.

The first place to start would be with light weight wheels.

You might change the felt wheel wells to a lighter plastic. If you have a trunk mat ad spare tire you might take that out. But that is not going to shave off anything of much significance and wil shift the weight distribution even further forward.

Until someone reverse engineers the car I think we are left with simply adding more power to increase performance.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 11-21-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by likwidfuzion
Safety first my friends.
agree, why would you want to make this car any lighter? its not a race car, you know. i do not think 150 pounds make a difference.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 PM
go4gr8

Yeah..instead, it's the 2000lbs + that you might question. I just compared the weight with a Maserati, and the G37 is heavier!!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
agree, why would you want to make this car any lighter? its not a race car, you know. i do not think 150 pounds make a difference.

Originally Posted by go4gr8
Yeah..instead, it's the 2000lbs + that you might question. I just compared the weight with a Maserati, and the G37 is heavier!!
...i chuckled...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know I was thinking about this. I bet a manual car with no premium package will be close to 200lbs lighter than a auto car with premium....,.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM
EightOneZero

Originally Posted by 335orG37
You know I was thinking about this. I bet a manual car with no premium package will be close to 200lbs lighter than a auto car with premium....,.
But then that begs the question of: Why are you buying a G37? If you want out right performance, buy a 350z. If you want a *luxury* sports coupe with less road noise, get a G37. I for one don't care how heavy they are, nor should most people on this site. As long as it's a smooth, comfortable ride and decent power, then I am happy. For the money it is a great car
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
COUPE-DADDY

I don't think any of us "should" try to prioritize other peoples wants/needs. I need a 4 seater, yet lean more towards performance than luxury. If none of us "should" care about weight then why is there an aftermarket for these cars?
The following users liked this post:
Yeed (07-05-2020)
Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by 335orG37
I don't think any of us "should" try to prioritize other peoples wants/needs.
Can't argue with that. However, those asking for miracle solutions should understand the "ground rules". Why is this coupe heavier than many expected it would be? Yes, it does have much bigger steel guard beams in the doors because the coupe doors are much bigger than the sedan doors.

But, the primary reason is that this coupe chassis/frame has been designed to also hold a retractible hardtop. Please remember a retractible hardtop model is planned for the next year or two. Look at the additional bracing and support in the MBZ, Lexus or even VW retracible hardtop models and you'll see why it weighs so much.

In addition, this coupe is designed for awd, also planned for the next year or two, whereas the G35 coupe was not.

These ground rules will make it very difficult to lighten the G37S and still allow it to be the car it is. If you want to spend the money, you can make it into a street legal improved touring car. But, if that were your goal, why not just buy a $60K that does everything you want at the weight you want.

PS. You say you really need a 4 seater. Are the backseat riders expected to be smaller than full size adults? If not, you might want to look at something with a larger backseat. If so, please "play" with the seat moving mechanisms which you'll need for people to get into the back seat. They work well, but are pretty slow. I could see where this would be a pain if I had to put kids back there on a daily basis. Finally, getting in and out the back seat is not as easy as it looks and people will get tired of it real soon if they have to do it a lot.

If you really need to carry 4 people on a regular basis, this might not be the best car for you.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
cvt

this thread is about weight reduction...if you don't feel it's 'proper to do weight reduction on a G37'....then don't post, simiple as that. people mod and improve cars all the time. it's been a hobby of hot rodders for decades.

boys like their toys out of the box....then there are some boys who think...'well....what if we strap rockets to it?....' lol
The following users liked this post:
Yeed (07-05-2020)
Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
COUPE-DADDY

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Can't argue with that. However, those asking for miracle solutions should understand the "ground rules". Why is this coupe heavier than many expected it would be? Yes, it does have much bigger steel guard beams in the doors because the coupe doors are much bigger than the sedan doors.

But, the primary reason is that this coupe chassis/frame has been designed to also hold a retractible hardtop. Please remember a retractible hardtop model is planned for the next year or two. Look at the additional bracing and support in the MBZ, Lexus or even VW retracible hardtop models and you'll see why it weighs so much.

In addition, this coupe is designed for awd, also planned for the next year or two, whereas the G35 coupe was not.

These ground rules will make it very difficult to lighten the G37S and still allow it to be the car it is. If you want to spend the money, you can make it into a street legal improved touring car. But, if that were your goal, why not just buy a $60K that does everything you want at the weight you want.

PS. You say you really need a 4 seater. Are the backseat riders expected to be smaller than full size adults? If not, you might want to look at something with a larger backseat. If so, please "play" with the seat moving mechanisms which you'll need for people to get into the back seat. They work well, but are pretty slow. I could see where this would be a pain if I had to put kids back there on a daily basis. Finally, getting in and out the back seat is not as easy as it looks and people will get tired of it real soon if they have to do it a lot.

If you really need to carry 4 people on a regular basis, this might not be the best car for you.

I hear ya on the rear seats. I must say I am a bit torn. I do admit its not the most practical choice for me, but I think the fun of driving the car on a daily basis will outweigh the times I need/want a more practical 4 door. My other(wifes) car is a 2007 Pathfinder, so this car will certainly not be my primary people mover. That being said I need to abilty to stuff a kid or 2 in the back when I get that call from school that says" your child is in the nurses office". I actually have 2 kids and one on the way, but I drive 350-400 miles per week so nothing thats pratical for me to drive on a daily basis will suffice for hauling kids around. I figure if I am in the car that much I should enjoy it. At least thats how I rationalize things.....
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by cvt
this thread is about weight reduction...if you don't feel it's 'proper to do weight reduction on a G37'....then don't post, simiple as that.
I am sorry. I did not realize you were the "Miss Manners" of this thread and every single letter of every single post needed to educate you about weight reduction.

Quick Reply: pinpoint the G37's weight