Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

pinpoint the G37's weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkozak
I am sorry. I did not realize you were the "Miss Manners" of this thread and every single letter of every single post needed to educate you about weight reduction.
I liked your post, are you sure CVT was talking to you?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkozak
I am sorry. I did not realize you were the "Miss Manners" of this thread and every single letter of every single post needed to educate you about weight reduction.
I'm sorry you had nothing of substance to contribute about the subject matter...so I guess we can call it even
The following users liked this post:
Yeed (07-05-2020)
Old 11-23-2007, 06:34 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 335orG37
I liked your post, are you sure CVT was talking to you?
not in particular but the whole "iss manners thing" was too funny not to respond to...of course all responses are just in a joking manner...

the purpose of this thread is not to delve into weight reduction. again, ANYONE can strip a car. the purpose is HOW to reduce the weight AND keep the car's characteristics.

this should be more of en engineering siggestion rather than a "what intake should i use noob" question.

another topic to think about...how can we lighten the front and transfer the weight a little more to the back to get that closer to 50/50?? hmmmm...
Old 11-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure there is too much you could strip out of the G without taking away from safety, appearance, or functionality.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
another topic to think about...how can we lighten the front and transfer the weight a little more to the back to get that closer to 50/50?? hmmmm...
Lightweight hood, and battery relocation is where I would start.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 AM
corruptor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lightweight battery, lightweight wheels + tires, aftermarket seats, full titanium exhaust. i think those will net a solid 125-150lbs weight reduction, with most of the weight loss coming from the exhaust and seats. aftermarket hood will not be much lighter than the aluminum stock hood.

i would advise against CF doors on a roadcar. definitely not worth the safety trade off. the amuse CF doors for the 350z lack any type of structural support; they really are just door skins.

i think we are more or less screwed on the weight distribution on this car. you would probably need to drop ~50lbs over the front axle to move the weight distribution 1%.

some of you people are clueless. you say "why worry about weight on the g37, this was designed as a luxo gt" or "get a 350z if you want more performance" - the fact is nissan could have made this car much better than it already is. they obviously held this car back because as many of you stated, they are planning an upscale GT-R as Infiniti's new flagship. besides, why get a 2 door coupe if you don't have any sporting intentions? are we that much of a pretentious bunch here?

some of us do plan on tracking the g37, and while we may be the minority, we really care about performance. excess weight will cause our brakes and tires to overheat, and we won't be able to fully enjoy this "sports" car. you may say we should buy an m3 instead, or take a look at the new 135, but m3 is out of my price range, and i really hate how bmw is handling the 135; no mechanical lsd? still no confirmed fix on the oil cooler issues?? no thanks!

all reviews have raved about the new vq37 - how much better would it be if it had 400lbs less weight to lug around? why couldn't infiniti have designed the sport model to actually be sportier? i would venture a guess that most of the people that don't care about weight buy the automatic anyway. speaking of which, look at the buzz the 135 is creating. why couldn't nissan capitalize on this so-called niche market and create a true sports car? if the 135 gets a mechanical lsd and doesn't overheat, it will run circles around the g37. nissan would really be the "japanese bmw" if they had the foresight to notice this gap in the market.
The following users liked this post:
Yeed (07-05-2020)
Old 11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by corruptor
why couldn't infiniti have designed the sport model to actually be sportier?
Didn't they already do this? Isn't it called the 350Z?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM
EightOneZero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corruptor
lightweight battery, lightweight wheels + tires, aftermarket seats, full titanium exhaust. i think those will net a solid 125-150lbs weight reduction, with most of the weight loss coming from the exhaust and seats. aftermarket hood will not be much lighter than the aluminum stock hood.

some of you people are clueless. you say "why worry about weight on the g37, this was designed as a luxo gt" or "get a 350z if you want more performance" - the fact is nissan could have made this car much better than it already is. they obviously held this car back because as many of you stated, they are planning an upscale GT-R as Infiniti's new flagship. besides, why get a 2 door coupe if you don't have any sporting intentions? are we that much of a pretentious bunch here?

some of us do plan on tracking the g37, and while we may be the minority, we really care about performance. excess weight will cause our brakes and tires to overheat, and we won't be able to fully enjoy this "sports" car. you may say we should buy an m3 instead, or take a look at the new 135, but m3 is out of my price range, and i really hate how bmw is handling the 135; no mechanical lsd? still no confirmed fix on the oil cooler issues?? no thanks!
If Infiniti were to do all of those things you mentioned to lighten the car, it wouldnt be around $40,000. Say what you will, but those who race cars do not do it on G37s. They do it on the cousin, the 350z which is a highly more capable track vehicle.

Believe it or not, some people buy cars because of the way they look. I guess we are all a pretentious bunch. Yes I would be one of the ones who would buy an automatic Infiniti. It's a daily driver. I've been a road racer for the past 3 years. So on public streets, I like being comfortable, while looking good on my way to work

If you want a track vehicle, you bought the wrong car. By the way, proper tire pressure can help with the tires overheating

Last edited by EightOneZero; 11-24-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 PM
corruptor

Originally Posted by EightOneZero
By the way, proper tire pressure can help with the tires overheating
No. I said overheat, not overinflate. Overheating tires = melting bits of tire all over your fender while on a road course. Overinflated = excessive tire roll/lack of feedback