G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Center Console without Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
carman63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, the Nav package gets you the nav system, 9GB or so of hard drive space for ripping music from CDs (the 9GB is what's left over from the nav system, stored voice commands, etc). You also get a Compact Flash slot, and a lot more comprehensive set of voice commands than the non-Nav equipped cars. And the backup camera.

Originally I was looking at a car with just the Premium package. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of getting the Nav package as well. I had an Audi A6 without the nav, and it hurt me on resale. But all the 'nav' buttons were there. (FYI in the black book the difference between nav and no-nav was $800-$1K on my A6).

I have a portable nav system, the Garmin c550. It works great, and it gets shared with my fiance. If you don't want/need the Nav package, just save the $2K or so. I like the seamlessness of the nav system in my G37, and I do use the backup camera daily. The nav system gets used a lot, not every day, but on the days I have meetings and need to get a general idea of traffic. (The Garmin c550 also does traffic.)

Oh, I live/work in the NoVA/DC area, and don't always go to the same locations.

It comes down to personal preference, and if it's worth the money to you to go with the package.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 3 vehicles. I have 3 in dash nav systems. I leave the county once a year. In my opinion the car is incomplete without it. The infiniti is the best of them ( other is Acura ) and I wouldn't want to miss out on all the super slick configuration UI. It is very well designed and color coordinated.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
corruptor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All good points. I've thought about what it would mean for resale value if I got a G37 without navigation, but I personally think it would be a negative to have a ~5 year old navigation system when it comes time to sell the car. I also prefer using my phone navigation, except I had trouble getting reception in Yosemite once - didn't have that problem with my Garmin portable GPS. I can see the value of the navigation system, just not for premium + navigation.

You have to be pretty oblivious to say that someone shouldn't be looking at this car if the price seems high when optioned up. The whole point of the G37 is value compared to the 335/S5 - why would I want a G37 if after optioning it up, I could (almost) have an S5? Coming from an s2000, I value performance per dollar more. But I'm starting to get tired of the lack of refinement in the s2k as a daily driver. For most people like myself, I'll take the tradeoff of less features for less weight and less moving parts.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
go4gr8

I'm still on the fence...

..on whether to get the Navigation Package. I know the Premium package is worth it, but to get the navigation package, the 9GB HDD and the single CD replaces the 6-disc CD changer. I figure that's not too bad, but with the addition of a rear-view camera and lane guidance- that's something I really don't need!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by go4gr8
..on whether to get the Navigation Package. I know the Premium package is worth it, but to get the navigation package, the 9GB HDD and the single CD replaces the 6-disc CD changer. I figure that's not too bad, but with the addition of a rear-view camera and lane guidance- that's something I really don't need!
Here's the deal. We're americans. Thus, if you don't get it you'll always wonder "what if"... Get it and if you don't use it then oh well. It'll be something else you don't have to compete with the Jones' with....
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J. Dub
Here's the deal. We're americans. Thus, if you don't get it you'll always wonder "what if"... Get it and if you don't use it then oh well. It'll be something else you don't have to compete with the Jones' with....
Uh Oh! Now I'm wondering why I'm not wondering "what if" because I didn't get Nav!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 PM
daniel3ooo

I would definitely get Navigation if it is as good as everyone makes it out to be...and yes the problem is they package it with the premium package that not everyone wants or needs

My sister has nav in her 07 Acura TL-s and it is absolutely amazing if the Infiniti's is anywhere near as good as the Acura's I would definitely get it
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
RedHerring

Infiniti Nav is better than Acura by far. I own both. I have an 06 MDX and an 07 TL. Yes, I can drive all three at once.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:54 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you dont get it, Dont Come on here Crying, because we will say, WE TOLD YOU SO! And trust me you will regret it and come crying!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
BoyleHeights

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Okay, help me out here. Do all of you actually use the Nav system on a daily basis? I have had Nav before, and only used it 3 to 4 times a year. Generally, I always know where I am driving to (and, I don't mean because I Mapquest before I leave). I rarely drive someplace new. I found I just never used it. This is my daily driver, and I pretty much drive to the same places. If I had Nav, I would only have a need to find someplace a handful of times of year. Shouldn't we buy what we need? Shouldn't usage dictate our purchases? Aren't there some people who really have no need for Nav?

Also, I am a little confused with some of the answers. One poster said the iPod integration was great. Yes, it is. But, it is part of the Premium Pack, not the Nav Pack. Another poster said the adaptive lighting was great. It is in Tech Pack, not the Nav Pack. Does everyone really know what is in the Nav Pack?
I am in the same situation. The NAV system seems nice but I do not think I would use very often since I rarely drive anywhere new. I guess maybe this will give me an excuse to do so? haha.

Just keep thinking if the price is worth the 3-4 times I would use it per year. Not that I cannot afford it. If you are in this price range I doubt you price is the issue.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
vinnys coupe

can you get sport with out prem?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
bloodhound

So from personal exp. I was going to get just a 6spd no prem no nav
ended up getting 6spd prem n nav.
it's just not the same w/o them
When I drive, if I dont use the nav, its on, showing me nearby streets as I drive. Sometimes when someone tells you 'you kno that street' you actually do b/c vaguely you remember seeing it on the gps.
Touch screen is great, just more options of doin it the same way
Why would you want a 6 disc changer when you get a HD where you store all your music? Then you only need a 1 disc system; insert cd, rip to music box and throw cd out the window. Ipod connect is the best I've seen in cars that I've been in, if not the best out there.
Prem is worth it, Bluetooh works like a charm, the sound system is perfect
So what I realized was, yea I could get the car w/o all this stuff, but on a 42k car, why should I short change myself? I couldnt b more happy w/ the car.
And voice commands are the shiznit (dont know how curses work on forums)...Keep hands on the steering wheel, and the shifter and let the voice commands take care of the rest.
Worth every penny they take from me every month....
Originally Posted by dmkozak
Okay, help me out here. Do all of you actually use the Nav system on a daily basis? I have had Nav before, and only used it 3 to 4 times a year. Generally, I always know where I am driving to (and, I don't mean because I Mapquest before I leave). I rarely drive someplace new. I found I just never used it. This is my daily driver, and I pretty much drive to the same places. If I had Nav, I would only have a need to find someplace a handful of times of year. Shouldn't we buy what we need? Shouldn't usage dictate our purchases? Aren't there some people who really have no need for Nav?

Also, I am a little confused with some of the answers. One poster said the iPod integration was great. Yes, it is. But, it is part of the Premium Pack, not the Nav Pack. Another poster said the adaptive lighting was great. It is in Tech Pack, not the Nav Pack. Does everyone really know what is in the Nav Pack?

Last edited by bloodhound; 11-20-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM
bloodhound

Nav =
Touch Screen
Ipod Connect
Music Box HD
Voice Commands
Backup Cam
I think thats it...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
NemesisG37

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
I would definitely get Navigation if it is as good as everyone makes it out to be...and yes the problem is they package it with the premium package that not everyone wants or needs

My sister has nav in her 07 Acura TL-s and it is absolutely amazing if the Infiniti's is anywhere near as good as the Acura's I would definitely get it
The TL-S has the best navi ive ever used...what cant it do?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
go4gr8

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I couldn't care less about what the "Jones'" have or not have. It's about what *I* want, isn't it? It's not like someone else is paying for the car.

BTW, I'm not American, I'm Canadian..and I love the American lifestyle more. That's why I'm here! That and I can buy a new car for less!

Quick Reply: Center Console without Navigation