bloodhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6SPD Shifting Thread

Arite guys, how about sharing some shifting techniques as per what you do for:
daily driving
traffic driving
aggresive driving

i.e. I keep her in 2nd and 1 mph roll through stop signs
Clutch needs to be eased into gears in daily driving (had a carolla before and that was just let go of the clutch on the gas), clutch on the G gives a nice jerk if you try that here (2nd -6th gears)....
Aggresive...its a blast...i'll leave it at that, no techniques used / needed

Is it me or reverse is so much easier to 'roll' in than 1st?

How many guys actually wait for the car to start moving before gas-ing it (1st gear)?

How many of you feather the gas and then ease off the clutch (1st gear) ?

Last edited by bloodhound; 11-13-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
bloodhound

Oh comeon, I know Im not the only one with a manual....
Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I got a couple of manuals with my car. One was for the nav, the other for everything else.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedHerring
Yeah, I got a couple of manuals with my car. One was for the nav, the other for everything else.
lol me too
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
qualitywah

Originally Posted by RedHerring
haha funny. i dont have a g but i do have a 07 corvette z51 mt. its a completely different car than the g but whenever i start i feather the clutch/gas. if i want to do some aggressive driving like fast 0-60 i will usualy launch at about 1600 rpms. gives you the most traction imo. the thing just gets silly without traction control. lol and in traffic i usualy stay in 2nd. and sometimes for daily driving depending on my mood i will either just shift through the gears or go 1 to 4.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 PM
KapH33n

I have the 6MT, and I have been driving her very easy. Only 500 miles on the engine and i don't want to push it. Once i have like 1k or 1.2k miles then maybe i'll take her into higher RPMs. I feather on 1st a bit, but when driving aggressively i just clutch, shift, and pop off in any other gear.

One thing I've noticed is that when I get out of the car sometimes I can smell more clutch than I would like. Is that because the car is new (never owned/driven a brand new car) or because I'm not shifting correctly? I try to not ride the clutch and to shift as cleanly as possible, but maybe I'm doing some thing wrong.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm new to driving a manual

i have the most problem when driving normally especially at low speeds (like parking lot)
i can't seem to get a smooth release on the clutch when driving that slow

when driving slow, i slowly get off the clutch right b4 it starts to move then gas it...sometimes i'll lightly step on the gas first, then slowly get off the clutch

got a couple questions myself: when you r driving on the hwy, when shifting gears do you get off the clutch completely then gas or do u gas slightly b4 getting off the clutch completely? and can u take ur foot all the off the clutch quicky or do u have to do it kinda slowly?

i dunno if any of that makes sense
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned all I need to know about clutching and shifting from Talladega Nights. Man, that Ricky Bobby sure can drive.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
miccon

shake and bake!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
EJ2000

In order to be super smooth, you have to feather the clutch a little, especially in first gear. When shifting into 3-6, a good rev match will limit the need to slip the clutch. But for the lower gears, you run a balance between smoothness and clutch wear vs. direct shifts with a little jerkiness...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
EJ2000

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[

i have the most problem when driving normally especially at low speeds (like parking lot)

when driving slow, i slowly get off the clutch right b4 it starts to move then gas it...sometimes i'll lightly step on the gas first, then slowly get off the clutch

got a couple questions myself: when you r driving on the hwy, when shifting gears do you get off the clutch completely then gas or do u gas slightly b4 getting off the clutch completely? and can u take ur foot all the off the clutch quicky or do u have to do it kinda slowly?

If you're learning to become proficient on a manual transmission, the G is not an easy car. However, starting in first, I'd recommend revving to about 1-1.5k rpm, and slowly taking up the clutch. Instead, if you give it a bit of gas, and let up on the gas as you engage the clutch, that might cause it to lurch a bit. Try and keep the revs constant at 1.5k while engaging the clutch.

I think I see what you're getting at with your question. For highway driving, you don't need to slip the clutch at all if you have a properly (accurate) rev-matched shift. For upshifting, you don't need to hit the gas at all. You just have to learn the timing necessary to let the RPMs fall off to the correct level while you are switching gears and letting the clutch back in. If you are not shifting fast enough to do it this way, just make sure to hold the gas down to the correct RPM while you modulate the clutch.

For downshifting, you have to get on the accelerator a little bit to bring the revs above the level they were in the previous gear. Once you get the RPMs to the correct level, you can engage the clutch.

Learning the correct RPM to rev match to will take a little bit of time and practice. When you are dead on, you can immediately engage the clutch with no lurching. When you aren't so accurate, you will have to slip the clutch a little bit to bring the RPMs to the correct level.

I kept the answer pretty broad, but I hope that answers your question!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[

I'm in the same boat with you. Its funny that I can drive my buddies truck with a stage 3 clutch better than I can drive the G. I guess its cause I feel the feedback a lot more before it dies out so I know where the engagement point is. I've been practicing today and yesterday when no cars are on the road...I feel I'm learning pretty quickly, but dang...its heart aching to see the car die out or lurch. I guess its to be expected...I've only had about 1 hour behind a manual before I got the G. Definitely had some humiliating experiences, but I guess its all a part of learning. I've only had the car 2 days and I've put 115 miles on it (came with 7).
Old 11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah Ive been waiting for this thread. Im also pretty new to manual. I learned on some simple VW Golfs and have randomly driven an s2000, 350z and a couple compact cars before gettin the G bringing my pre-G manual driving to shy of 500 miles. I have about 1100 miles on the G now in 1.5 months and i am definitely getting better. I agree it's a tougher car to tweak skills on. When I had seamless shifts on the Honda s2k at 6-8k revs I thought I was the master, haha, little did I know then that Honda shifting is the Fisher Price of manual trannys....

A few "weird" things I notice....I don't know why but When I am in 1st gear and gettin my revs up to like 3 RPM if I press in teh clutch without my foot in the gas it clunks a little under there. Wheras as long as I'm giving a bit of gas it's ok. Im guessin this is normal though.

Has anyone noticed that on the 1st to 2nd gear shifts at higher revs like 3.5-5k (and higher I assume but I have not broken in completely so I dont rev that high) I feel like the gearbox almost pushes the gear from 1st to 2nd quicker in a ghost manner. Does that make sense? Like the gear slides down from 1 to 2 with just a tap, less effort... I dunno if this is just my adrenaline gettin to my head or something the gearbox can really employ??

Another thing thats kind of annoying but normal I believe is when you are rolling at a low parking spot speed just rollin and low revving into a spot and u are giving no gas but wanna push in the clutch to get her into neatral just before parking, u get a lil clunk noise. Once again it seems if you are giving some gas doing the whole part gas part clutch thing - the clunk is not there...

Downshifting tips? Im ok at casual downshifts but one of em/ I kinda F'ed up on. I was downshifting from 6th to 4th while @ approx 50 MPH and the RPMs shot up to like 6 and teh car jerked.....Can U only downshift one gear? I wouldnt thinkit woulda shot up that much. Maybe it was 2nd I dunno I panicked....Generallyhow would a downshift go in the situation where you're on the highway, you want the best acceleration from being at 65MPH and 6th gear, is a double gear downshift possible? I feel like 6th to 5th just doesnt give U enough juice? What do U guys say?

I am getting better but am having a lotta issues with babying the clutch too much to get smoother shifts...I already have a gut feeling that I will have to change my clutch once probably around like 40-60k miles if im lucky just for the fact that im an intermediate shifter....arent clutches supposed to last btwn 80-120k miles? or in some cases even the life of the car? Any tips on how u can learn to baby the clutch less?

....Im doing my best to make my 1-2-3 step quicker its tough though....1)push in clutch....2)upshift gear.....3)let off clutch while giving gas to match revs....when you combine the steps a lil too quickly u can get some gear grind which I got a few times, just like twice...I think I was just being a lil careless.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
qualitywah

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Downshifting tips? Im ok at casual downshifts but one of em/ I kinda F'ed up on. I was downshifting from 6th to 4th while @ approx 50 MPH and the RPMs shot up to like 6 and teh car jerked.....Can U only downshift one gear? I wouldnt thinkit woulda shot up that much. Maybe it was 2nd I dunno I panicked....Generallyhow would a downshift go in the situation where you're on the highway, you want the best acceleration from being at 65MPH and 6th gear, is a double gear downshift possible? I feel like 6th to 5th just doesnt give U enough juice? What do U guys say?
Typically you wont downshift two gears there are acceptions depending on the situation. I think when you downshifted you went into 2 instead of 4. that is an easy mistake to make. try to avoid that next time. personally I would drive in 6th at 65. downshift to 5th (make sure you rev match) and try acceleration. if it is not what i think it should be then next try a 6th to 4th (rev matching will be much more important on this one and you will feel the car "jerk" if you do not rev match).
Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
another thing (mentioned in post by Detroitg37JOe) is that i get this clunk/chatter when i'm driving slow and i push in the clutch...kinda like when driving up my driveway or in a parking lot..a pretty loud and noticeable clunk/chatter noise when i push in the clutch...anyone else experience this?

Quick Reply: The 6SPD Shifting Thread