G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

bimmer guy tracked G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:16 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
let's not go overboard...you get A LOT of car with the M3. it's a V8 high strung sport tuned chassis and suspension that has so many performance adjustability to it to make your head spin....and that's right out of the box.

the 335i can be made to go faster than an M3...but so can honda civics....you can definately make any car faster than another...performance is not just the point of the M3. it's BMW's masterpiece...it's their artwork on rubber...you're owning BMW's interpretation of the 3 series in it's rawest, natural, and fullest potential. if you are all about performance and cost then the M cars are not for you...or BMWs for that matter...but if you have loved bavarians and want to drink striaght from the bottle with out the soda or juice to water it down...then the //M is the choice.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:35 AM
stinger44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
let's not go overboard...you get A LOT of car with the M3. it's a V8 high strung sport tuned chassis and suspension that has so many performance adjustability to it to make your head spin....and that's right out of the box.

the 335i can be made to go faster than an M3...but so can honda civics....you can definately make any car faster than another...performance is not just the point of the M3. it's BMW's masterpiece...it's their artwork on rubber...you're owning BMW's interpretation of the 3 series in it's rawest, natural, and fullest potential. if you are all about performance and cost then the M cars are not for you...or BMWs for that matter...but if you have loved bavarians and want to drink striaght from the bottle with out the soda or juice to water it down...then the //M is the choice.
Interesting analogy... works for me.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:39 AM
S6MT

You're right cvt. I few years ago I had the chance to drive from Cologne to the Nuerbergring in a rented Jaguar. We had hoped it was a day anyone could hot lap - run what you brung. But the M division had the track and all we could do was watch. To those guys, this stuff is religion.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 AM
S6MT

Okay, please allow me one more shot to prove my LSD rant had a point… I was looking for info on the 135i and I ran across a thread of SCCA guys discussing in what class it should race.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/251438/ShowThread.aspx
Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
stinger44

Originally Posted by S6MT
Okay, please allow me one more shot to prove my LSD rant had a point… I was looking for info on the 135i and I ran across a thread of SCCA guys discussing in what class it should race.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/251438/ShowThread.aspx
I don't recall which forum but one of the bimmer forums discussed LSD as an option for the 135. Based on that article, it wouldn't appear that's true. I have noticed that BMW will put stuff out in marketing materials before the option or feature is actually available. Case in point - BMW North America is not offering the 19" wheels but they had that down as an option on the sports pkg this past summer then promptly changed it to say available at a later date. BMW Canada is offering the 19" wheels.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
S6MT

I also read something about that in one of the forums. BMW is calling it "electronic LSD". Someone then reported that it's not a LSD at all, but another form of traction control that while accelerating from a corner applies brake to the inside (spinning) wheel.

I think that is again insulting their enthusiasts’ automotive intelligence. But, someone pointed out that BMW expects enthusiasts should only buy the M3. I guess they don't consider the issue of the $70K. Then again, maybe that's just to keep out the riff-raff...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Greeney

I also read something about that in one of the forums. BMW is calling it "electronic LSD". Someone then reported that it's not a LSD at all, but another form of traction control that while accelerating from a corner applies brake to the inside (spinning) wheel.

I think that is again insulting their enthusiasts’ automotive intelligence. But, someone pointed out that BMW expects enthusiasts should only buy the M3. I guess they don't consider the issue of the $70K. Then again, maybe that's just to keep out the riff-raff...
BMW likes there money, if you want there flying propellers you must pay out of your butt hole for it.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
stinger44

I see what you're saying but again, we're right back to the initial discussion regarding the importance of LSD and how much of a hinderance the lack of to which, is to the driving experience. To me, I wouldn't not order a car because it has an open differential. Safety is well compensated with traction control. Accelerating out of a turn with no LSD just takes more skill and practice to do it right. I think the M series cars are great cars and many of us would get one if we could. I'm not sure why BMW reserves LSD for their M models only so I can't speak to that intelligently. In the meantime, is the 335i a lot of fun to drive, fast and it handles like a dream? Absolutely. I believe I made the right choice between the G37S and 335i.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:18 AM
S6MT

Originally Posted by stinger44
I see what you're saying but again, we're right back to the initial discussion regarding the importance of LSD and how much of a hinderance the lack of to which, is to the driving experience. To me, I wouldn't not order a car because it has an open differential. Safety is well compensated with traction control. Accelerating out of a turn with no LSD just takes more skill and practice to do it right. I think the M series cars are great cars and many of us would get one if we could. I'm not sure why BMW reserves LSD for their M models only so I can't speak to that intelligently. In the meantime, is the 335i a lot of fun to drive, fast and it handles like a dream? Absolutely. I believe I made the right choice between the G37S and 335i.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Hey, they're only cars, and we're talking about two pretty good ones. We could both do a lot worse.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 AM
stinger44

M-Series

Originally Posted by Greeney
BMW likes there money, if you want there flying propellers you must pay out of your butt hole for it.
No doubt, car companies kneel to the almighty buck (euro in this case). But as someone pointed out, adding LSD to the non-M series cars wouldn't add up to much cost. Again, it appears BMW wants their M series cars to stand out from their regular line up. LSD, sportier suspension, racing style engines make up the M series cars and the consumer pays "out of your butt hole."
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stinger44
Again, it appears BMW wants their M series cars to stand out from their regular line up.
EXACTLY. why do you think the 335i is rated at 300hp when the 335i and 333hp E46 M3 dyno similar peak power? why do you think the porsche cayman S only has a measly 295hp when obviously porsche has the means to make a 100hp per liter engine out of the 3.2? no company wants to canabalize the sales of their products...had the 335i and Cayman S been tuned to their utmost potential...who would buy the E46 M3 or 911?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 AM
stinger44

I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Hey, they're only cars, and we're talking about two pretty good ones. We could both do a lot worse.
Absolutely. Can always do worse.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:14 AM
stinger44

Originally Posted by cvt
EXACTLY. why do you think the 335i is rated at 300hp when the 335i and 333hp E46 M3 dyno similar peak power? why do you think the porsche cayman S only has a measly 295hp when obviously porsche has the means to make a 100hp per liter engine out of the 3.2? no company wants to canabalize the sales of their products...had the 335i and Cayman S been tuned to their utmost potential...who would buy the E46 M3 or 911?
It's all about sales and market share. The 335i competes in a certain market and the M3 another. Actually makes perfect sense believe it or not. lol
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 AM
jackygor

I remember the days when 330i handled better and had a better interior than the G35. And all the bmw drivers would rave about how it could blow away the G35 on the track. Looks like the table has turned...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW's are so plain looking to me, The Lines are so simple, not curvy and beautiful like the G37 or many Japanese Cars

Quick Reply: bimmer guy tracked G37